Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

MOTs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone else get in a state worrying if it will pass?
Chris's is in right now and i am dreading the result :/

Comments

• Options
    yeah, i do, bcos there's so many silly things it can fail on. Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    yeah, i do, bcos there's so many silly things it can fail on. Fingers crossed! hope it passes for him!
  • Options
    yeah i thought mine would pass last year but failed on emmisions and needed a new exhaust, middle part and back box. pissed me off a bit. couple of hundred quids. grr
  • Options
    Random, whats a MOT? I looked, but all I get is Motorola Inc and Mueseum of Transportation is Mass.
  • Options
    its a test your car has to take every year to make sure its road worthy still
  • Options
    Mine failed its MOT a while back so badly I just handed my keys to the mechanic and gave him the car.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Random, whats a MOT? I looked, but all I get is Motorola Inc and Mueseum of Transportation is Mass.

MOT – Ministry of Transport test. An annual MOT examination that is required for every car over three years old.
  • Options
    It failed :grump: £225:banghead:
  • Options
    oh!! i was wondering what a MOT was too. haha. in america, ours is called the Emissions Test. plain and simple. but then again, i guess to you, yours is plain and simple too. :)
  • Options
    Mine fails every year, so instead of wasting my energy worrying about it failing, I waste my energy bracing myself for the quote :grump:
  • Options
    I just send it in to the garage and wait for the bill to be honest.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I just send it in to the garage and wait for the bill to be honest.

me too. what needs doing needs doing and it'll probably be cheaper than buying a new motor.

if you look after your car throughout the year then iit shouldn't be TOO bad.
  • Options
    I check all my vehicles over before they go for an MOT. Have only failed twice - once when I wasn't planning on keeping the car, and wanted to describe the car accurately on eBay. The other, I'd just bought the car, and it only have a couple of months left on the current MOT.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Tweety wrote:
    Does anyone else get in a state worrying if it will pass?
    Chris's is in right now and i am dreading the result :/

:lol: Calm it down. It can be fixed cheaply.

DIY it if anything is wrong, fuck labour charges!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    :lol: Calm it down. It can be fixed cheaply.

DIY it if anything is wrong, fuck labour charges!

not possible.
  • Options
    What about taking it to a different cheaper garage to do the work and then taking it back to be MOTed again? Most places do the second MOT for free.
  • Options
    Loopi wrote:
    What about taking it to a different cheaper garage to do the work and then taking it back to be MOTed again? Most places do the second MOT for free.

They are the cheaper garage. Anyway work is underway now.
  • Options
    Some things you can do yourself, like um brake pads, lights etc.

Probably other stuff as well. Things that are cheap, but expensive in the garage cos of the extortionate labour charges.
  • Options
    you can do virtually anything yourself, with the right tools and knowledge. For those who don't have the right tools, nor the right knowledge, then the garage tends to charge a fair price when you look at the cost of tools and facilities, and the wealth of knowledge the mechanics tend to have.
  • Options
    MissMurder wrote:
    but then again, i guess to you, yours is plain and simple too. :)
    :lol::lol::lol: Yeah, plain and simple. You take it for the MOT test, it fails, it costs loads.
    They check about a hundred parts of the car, and it generally fails on a few every time. But it's not that simple, some inspectors miss things, or fail a part when another will pass it and fail it for other reasons. Oh, and if you don't have a valid MOT certificate, then your car is illegal to drive, and driving it without an MOT certificate will certainly void your insurance in your insurance companies eyes. And you need the certificate to buy your road tax (which it's also illegal to be without). Simple, yeah? :(

If only it were an emisions test.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    you can do virtually anything yourself, with the right tools and knowledge. For those who don't have the right tools, nor the right knowledge, then the garage tends to charge a fair price when you look at the cost of tools and facilities, and the wealth of knowledge the mechanics tend to have.

:yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I had my car MOT'ed for the first time yesterday. It passed fine, but it is only three years old so I wasn't too worried.

More scared about what the service would show up - worried if it turned out I was being really harsh on the brakes and stuff (first car after passing my test in March 05). The only thing I needed was a new sump plug for the grand total of £4.34 inc VAT.

The MOT was £40 (I assume that's standard) and the service was £90 + VAT - is that good or astronomical?!
  • Options
    thats good.

My 13 year old Honda cost me a lightbulb for the 1st MOT i took it to and the 2nd cost me a back box.

The other 3 Mots i had done on my 1st and 2nd cars, never cost less than £200.

That tells ya how much better the japs make cars than Vauxhall and Ford!
  • Options
    Just for the record, my car is a Ford Fiesta! :p
  • Options
    My car's going for its first in October, but not really worried cause it will only be 3 years old.

Will probably send my step dad to do it though, as I think they'd try to rip me off (and it would probably work)

More annoyed about being without a car for a day :(
  • Options
    Ha, by the time my car needs an MOT I probably still wont be able to drive it. It'll fail... I can gurantee that now, since the handbrake doesn't work unless the lever is as high as it goes, for a start.....

Luckily, my dad is a mechanic, and I made him promise to sort it all out for me before I pass my test anyway :).