Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting rid of a podge

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I've been going to the gym on a regular basis (about 3 times a week) for the last 5 months. I concentrate on cardio, plus arms and stomach.

My waist has slimmed down a lot, but I still have a podge on my lower belly. How do I get rid of it?

I went to a 30 minutes abs class last night, we did stuff like "the plank" and stuff with a gym ball.

Any ideas of how to kill the podge?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    is it really podge? because regardless of the 6pacs we see on the pussycat dolls etc, women are supposed to have a curve on their lower tummy; it represents fertility.
    \
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I've been going to the gym on a regular basis (about 3 times a week) for the last 5 months. I concentrate on cardio, plus arms and stomach.

My waist has slimmed down a lot, but I still have a podge on my lower belly. How do I get rid of it?

I went to a 30 minutes abs class last night, we did stuff like "the plank" and stuff with a gym ball.

Any ideas of how to kill the podge?
    If anyone at your gym tells you, you can spot reduce fat (i.e. if your abs are fat sit ups will make you skinny) that's not true.

The only way you will reduce BF is by dieting on low calories.

Also you may just be prone to fat there. Alot of women usually have fat on there bellies, bums, thighs & obviously chest because that's where most of there estrogen is stored.

Good luck & trust me its easier than you think. :)
    HIT wrote:
    If anyone at your gym tells you, you can spot reduce fat (i.e. if your abs are fat sit ups will make you skinny) that's not true.

The only way you will reduce BF is by dieting on low calories.

Also you may just be prone to fat there. Alot of women usually have fat on there bellies, bums, thighs & obviously chest because that's where most of there estrogen is stored.

Good luck & trust me its easier than you think. :)

I understand that bhat is the point of doing sit-ups and going to an abs class?
    I don't do well on diets, I just end up feeling starving hungry and giving up.
    gr i have that bit of podge too - is very annoying because i'm really slim everywhere else and it doesn't match up with the rest of me :(
    i've been tempted to get some sort of ab machine so i can tone up before i go on holiday in november - there's no good gyms near me. And the ones that are good are stupidly expensive.
    \
    sophia wrote:
    Yeah I've got one of them. It's really effective, by which I mean it's really effective at staying in the back of my wardrobe covered with laundry.

I had this idea that if I bought one of those, I'd do hundreds of sit-ups every day while watching Neighbours etc. Like that was ever going to happen. :rolleyes: Every now and then I get a pang of guilt and get it out again, do a few sit ups, then put it back in the cupboard for another six months. :thumb:

Do you mean one of those crib thingies? I think Ballerina meant one of those belt things you strap on. I think most of those things are just gimmicks. Most exercises you can do by yourself without equipment. Apart from that one in the gym where you hold yourself up with your arms and raise your legs. That's for lower belly I think but is very difficult.

Even Collen Mcwhatshername has a podge.
    i always had a little podge when i was younger even though the rest of me was really slim. my weight would go up and down like a yoy-yo too. i'm all evened out now and i think its a combination of growing up (and losing the 'puppy fat' as my mum called it) and eating well rather than constantly dieting then binging.

pussykat, going on a diet doesn't mean you should go hungry. its just a matter of swapping things for healthier alternatives. for instance:
    wholemeal bread and pasta instead of the white refined versions. brown rice, instead of white rice. having tomato based sauces instead of cream based ones. using low fat dressings and margerines and yoghurts.

also eat fruit and drink plenty of water. when you have your main meal, rather than eating loads of carbs, substitute some for veg or salad.

and NEVER deny yourself a little treat every now and again because that will just make you crack and pig out on everything bad for you.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Do you mean one of those crib thingies? I think Ballerina meant one of those belt things you strap on. I think most of those things are just gimmicks. Most exercises you can do by yourself without equipment. Apart from that one in the gym where you hold yourself up with your arms and raise your legs. That's for lower belly I think but is very difficult.

Even Collen Mcwhatshername has a podge.
    no i ment some sort of sit up thing
    also, i've never met a guy yet (apart from a french one but they're diet freaks so we won't count him) who would rather me have a flat 6pac to a bit of curviness. its what makes us women innit :)
    \
    I do crunches during the advert break :angel:
    lipsy wrote:
    also, i've never met a guy yet (apart from a french one but they're diet freaks so we won't count him) who would rather me have a flat 6pac to a bit of curviness. its what makes us women innit :)

well said. :thumb:
    so true, most men like a bit of meat.

muscly women are so :yuck:

keep the podge! we love the podge!
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I understand that bhat is the point of doing sit-ups and going to an abs class?
    I don't do well on diets, I just end up feeling starving hungry and giving up.
    Sit ups will tone your stomach but not trim fat. Alot of people are under the impression that starving themselves is the way to go. Have you tried slim fast products yet? There foods are actually nice & low in calories, when you diet keep caloric range at about 1800 a day.

Also dont bother dieting if you feel good about yourself that's all that matters. Alot of women look more beautiful with more baggage than really skinny girls. :)
    HIT wrote:
    Sit ups will tone your stomach but not trim fat. Alot of people are under the impression that starving themselves is the way to go. Have you tried slim fast products yet? There foods are actually nice & low in calories, when you diet keep caloric range at about 1800 a day.

Also dont bother dieting if you feel good about yourself that's all that matters. Alot of women look more beautiful with more baggage than really skinny girls. :)

Slim fast is shit. I have 3 cartons of the powder at home (it was on special offer) and I went through a phase where I would have it for breakfast. I don't know how anyone could stick to that diet, the thought of the milkshakes made me feel sick after a while. I would throw them in the bin and just not eat anything.

So if a big fat person did 100 sit ups a day they wouldn't see any change?
    PussyKatty wrote:
    They would see the same amount of change as they would doing any other equivalent exercise (i.e. equivilant in the number of calories it burns). Jogging will do far more for losing fat on your stomach than sit-ups ever would, because jogging burns more calories.
    Have you used the reverse ab machine? Not sure what else to call it. Theres a machine (at my gym at least, so I assume at all gyms) where its like a sit up one, but you use your legs instead of upper body, and then a free one, where you just kind of hang from your pits and raise your legs from the lower abs/hips. Also, lay on your back raise your butt off the ground using the same muscles.

Granted I've been doing the above and still got the plump, even though (from a side veiw at least, I cheat) the rest is nice and flat :grump: Its like a b when standing sideways :p But I feel the burn in that area, so thats gotta count for something :p
    PussyKatty wrote:

They would develope a 6 pack, but you wont be able to see it if its covered by fat.

Abs are made in the kitchen. :thumb:
    HIT wrote:
    They would develope a 6 pack, but you wont be able to see it if its covered by fat.

:yes:

thats my problem!! ive been doing regular ab exercises every morning and night for last.. 5 months or so such as sit-ups, tummy twists, side stretches, plank etc.
    however when i look in the mirror, i dont see any ab definition at ALL. however, if i hold my tummy in (as in tighten my muscles) and look in a mirror, i can actually see the beginnings of a nice toned stomach!
    now all i gotta do is lose the extra fat from around that area, while continuing to do the ab exercises and hopefully ill have a nice washboard stomach in no time :rolleyes:
    soraliah wrote:

thats my problem!! ive been doing regular ab exercises every morning and night for last.. 5 months or so such as sit-ups, tummy twists, side stretches, plank etc.
    however when i look in the mirror, i dont see any ab definition at ALL. however, if i hold my tummy in (as in tighten my muscles) and look in a mirror, i can actually see the beginnings of a nice toned stomach!
    now all i gotta do is lose the extra fat from around that area, while continuing to do the ab exercises and hopefully ill have a nice washboard stomach in no time :rolleyes:
    And you will loose the fat & looked toned. Loosing fat is the easy part, building muscle mass is the hardest.

Good luck. :)
    Lie on your back, with your arms down by your sides, hands flat on the floor palm down, underneath your bottom. Legs straight out and together. Raise and lower your legs, slowly repeating 12 times, with a 30 second break between each 12. Try 4 sets. This works your lower abs, whereas situps only work your upper abs.
    Another good way apparently to tone along with a diet is to touch your toes 100 times every night.
    lipsy wrote:
    is it really podge? because regardless of the 6pacs we see on the pussycat dolls etc, women are supposed to have a curve on their lower tummy; it represents fertility.

I have a lame curve on my lower tummy.

I desperately want to get rid of it though :grump:
    My stomach is flat but I have that bit too.
    how is a sign of fertility?
    Ballerina wrote:
    how is a sign of fertility?
    I was thinking that. I thought a flat stomach was a sign of fertility? As in you're not already up the duff with someone elses baby.
    I was thinking that. I thought a flat stomach was a sign of fertility? As in you're not already up the duff with someone elses baby.
    i can't remember where i heard it. i just mean that its not natural for a woman to have a completley flat stomach like men do. its natural for there to be a curviness to it.
    lipsy wrote:
    i can't remember where i heard it. i just mean that its not natural for a woman to have a completley flat stomach like men do. its natural for there to be a curviness to it.
    Probably true. But what's natural and what's sexually appealing aren't always the same thing (e.g. hairy armpits). If they were, then explain to me how 90% of the blokes in the world 'would' with Jessica Rabbit.
    Probably true. But what's natural and what's sexually appealing aren't always the same thing (e.g. hairy armpits). If they were, then explain to me how 90% of the blokes in the world 'would' with Jessica Rabbit.
    when i say 'curve' i'm not talking about a roll of fat.