Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Laptop is worrying me big time

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well yesterday i moved my files off and formated it, and then put them back on it was running fine and dandy after the format and now its slowing down and takes time to load stuff, and even when im on msn and im typing i cant see my message for afew seconds... and some programs take abit of time to load and freeze during the process...

Its got 512mb memory so there should not be any problem... but i dont know why:banghead:

Think i should format it again?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh I've had that before, can't remember how I solved it though

I think I searched for spyware and stuff like that first
    But formating removes EVERYTHING and you start fresh, ive formated AGAIN, things seam to be alright at the moment, but i will keep you posted - I've got my eye on a nice Insprion 6400 Laptop on dell :chin: £530
    Didn't you say you started fresh yesterday by formatting so what's different today?
    Okay heres the deal, i formated yesterday and started putting my files on and stuff, once i done all that it started to play up and stuff - freezing and took time with programs

Formated AGAIN today - everything seams to be working alright, i did get a blue screen someting about Mpfirewall i think that means Macfee Personal Firewall... i might think about changing firewall.

But like i said ill keep you posted:angel:
    As you've done it more than once, and it gives the same symptoms, you should know what you installed just prior to the machine slowing down ;).
    Considering it was 3-4 days ago no i cant and i formated twice so..

UPDATE:

I've decided to just buy a new laptop, £600 a nice special deal from my friends at dell:angel:

It looks like this but diff specs http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_6400?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs
    Your current laptop is slow for a reason you do not know about - so your solution is to buy a new laptop?

Why don't you just download nlite and take your existing windows CD and remove all the crap that slows down your machine and burn a leaner copy of windows?

or try XPlite and remove whhat you don't need from windows to speed it up.

I've had the same problem .. but my solution wasn't to fork out for a new PC just try a different installtion.
    Your current laptop is slow for a reason you do not know about - so your solution is to buy a new laptop?

I know, i know it sounds abit :eek: But in my eyes, if a format dont do it - its buggerd.

And whats wrong with it? Its using MY MONEY
    CoolMe wrote:
    And whats wrong with it? Its using MY MONEY

I think to a technical person, its like saying "I'm going to buy a new car because my old one has a flat tyre" :P
    I think to a technical person, its like saying "I'm going to buy a new car because my old one has a flat tyre" :P

But thats only part of what makes the car :yeees:

The problem in a car sence is the motor:sour:
    Have you taken it to a repair shop or anything like that yet?
    CoolMe wrote:
    But thats only part of what makes the car :yeees:

The problem in a car sence is the motor:sour:

So if your car has a misfire, you buy a new one?

If the machine was running properly after a reinstall, but slowed down after you reloaded something, then it's pretty damned easy to work out where the problem lies. And it most probably isn't with the machine itself...
    Uhh this debate is too annoying specialy with the heat, sorry people for not being techie minded but i wanted a new laptop and it was a good idea