Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Police Check

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you go about getting one of these done?!:crazyeyes x

Comments

• Options
    I think the employers do it for you. I think they have access to a list, and they just check your name against the database for any offences. Not sure though.
  • Options
    Put CRB check into google and then go to their site, it will tell you everything.
  • Options
    On the CRB check website (can't remember the uRL) it tells you that you have to speak to your employer about it.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Sofie wrote:
    On the CRB check website (can't remember the uRL) it tells you that you have to speak to your employer about it.

Why can you not do it through your employer? And if you are not needing to do it that way, why do you need one at all?
  • Options
    i want to register with an agency, they said i have to pay £36 to apply for a CRB check through them :S
  • Options
    i want to register with an agency, they said i have to pay £36 to apply for a CRB check through them :S

Which is exactly what it costs everyone.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Which is exactly what it costs everyone.

err, cost me a tenner actually.
  • Options
    On a slightly randome other tack but could i as a random individual CBR check someone I wanted to employ?

ETA that you can't which is a bit crap - you can only CRB check your nanny or au pair through an agency - not that i have either of these was just a random thought really...
  • Options
    I believe there are two types, one of which is more expensive? (could just be making that up though)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

Most places want an enhanced CRB these days. It also depends on what work you are doing. You either had a general CRB or your employer put money towards it.
  • Options

It costs that, but AFAIK your employer should reimburse you.
  • Options
    even if they didnt re-emburse the costs, if it was a job i wanted, id be willing to pay the costs, and still means you have a valid and recent crb check as well, which could be useful if you end up applying for other jobs that might require a check
  • Options

That wouldn't have been a CRB check. That was probably a subject access request. Did you do it yourself? On a police form?
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    On a slightly randome other tack but could i as a random individual CBR check someone I wanted to employ?

ETA that you can't which is a bit crap - you can only CRB check your nanny or au pair through an agency - not that i have either of these was just a random thought really...

A CRB check can only be carried out if the position applied for is exempt from the Rehabiliation of Offenders Act. Exempt jobs are ones where you work with children, vulnerable adults, are in charge of large amounts of money (like a bank manager), you come into contact with controlled drugs or explosives, firearms etc.