Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Best place to exchange euros

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi,
I'm going on holiday next week to Spain, and am taking about £350 worth of Euros. There's 6 of us going so potientially we could be exchanging £2000 worth of euros at one time.
Would this enable us to get a better exchange rate ?
I've looked around and found Thomas Cook to be the best but does anyone know of anywhere else that has a good exchange rate because when exchanging this amount of money a small difference in the rate can mean more holiday money!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If I was you I would change it in Spain ad not in UK, most place here charge you quite a bit...
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think post offices in the UK don't charge for the exchange.
    My friend at work says that Marks and Spencers are really good but i've never used them. TBH i never bother changing money i just get it out of the cash point when i'm there because i don't want to be carrying large sums of cash around with me.

Your bank might do a deal with you if your changing loads but you will probably have to phone them - however in the greater scheme of things £2k isnt' much to a bank.
    Marks and Spencers changed £200 worth of Euros for me and I came away with £185. I was gutted. :eek2:
    The Post Office dont take any commission on foreign exchange.
    I used to work in the exchange part of a post office, and as well as being commission free, we almost always had the best rates. And there was no minimum amount. This was 4 years ago, so I'm not sure if it's still like that now, but worth a check :yes:
    I always use Marks and Spencer
    post office free.
    no advance booking needed.
    always have lots.
    don't carry hundred notes as they aint popular.
    will change them back again on your return ...won't touch coins.
    Yeah, I usedx the post office about 2 weeks ago now for my euros, same exchange as id of got anwhere else, but no commision :D

(excuse my dodgy typing, am wearing stupidly long false nails)
    Always only ever used the Post Office as it doesn't charge commission.

Pretty good rates too, I think. =]

EDIT:

"The Post Office™ offers competitive exchange rates on a large selection of foreign currencies and American Express Travellers Cheques, and we don’t charge any commission, except on Sterling American Express Travellers Cheques."

For £2000:
    "Calculation results

Post Office™ exchange rate

You will receive
    2774.20 Euros "

For £350:

"You will receive
    485.48 Euros "

Hope this helps. :)
    of course the post office dont charge commission, they just give you slightly crapper rates
    1.38 is pretty good, non?
    Whatever you do, don't change them at the airport. I forgot how expensive the airport was until I had to change their because I didn't get paid until two hours before take off :grump:

Post Office are best. Go in a good 10 days before you go though, as they don't always carry such huge amounts of money. It's easier now its all one currency though.
    Why doesn't anywhere change euro coinss back to English money? It's really annoying because I've got money which I doubt I'll ever need unless there's somwhere in the UK that will accept euros?
    Some places do, but don't ask me which ones.

Thomas Cook always used to.
    Sofie wrote:
    Why doesn't anywhere change euro coinss back to English money? It's really annoying because I've got money which I doubt I'll ever need unless there's somwhere in the UK that will accept euros?

Because it's just pointless really, if you think abut it. The highest euro coin is the 2 euro. That's barely £1 as it is (not an exact conversion). But if people offer to change back coins, people will turn up with all there cents as well. I guarantee, the petty people in life would demand their 50 cents changed back to pence. And they would quibble over what, 30p?

Not worth bothering with the service IMO. Just neeed to use as much of your change as poss on the last day there. That is how I came to be the owner of a beanie gecko for 1 euro 30 (in 10's) on Thursday morning :)
    I also say a Coinstar machine at Manchester Airport that changed coins...the only probnlem was the fee they charged.
    Sofie wrote:
    give your coins to charity.
    give your coins to charity.

Do they actually accept them or not, though?
    Sofie wrote:
    Do they actually accept them or not, though?
    Yes, almost all will. You might find that local charities don't, but it's unlikely.