Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Italian Trio Relegated To Serie B

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
From the BBC website:

Serie A sides Juventus, Lazio and Fiorentina have been demoted to the second division for their involvement in Italy's match-fixing scandal.
AC Milan will stay in Serie A but will lose 15 points and will be kicked out of the Champions League.

Juventus were also stripped of their last two titles and had 30 points deducted meaning that they are almost certain to stay down for two seasons.

Lazio were penalised seven points while Fiorentina suffered a 12 point penalty.

More to follow.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nice :D

Let the sales begin ...
    GoodFella wrote:
    Nice :D

Let the sales begin ...

No doubt Chelsea will get nearly every player, or least want all of them...:rolleyes:
    Juventus have been the most severly punished, I think this could be the end of this superpower, they struggle with crowds as it is, will people go to watch sub standard football with sub standard players? Realistically none of the stars are going to stick around, what is going to happen to the individual players incriminated? Will they be punished also?

Edited to add
    Milan staying up, did this have anything to do with silvio berlusconi?
    If they are real fans then people would go and watch them play.
    Should have been Serie C for Juve.

Milan weren't the worst, so they got the lightest punishment.
    Sofie wrote:
    If they are real fans then people would go and watch them play.

which is why they will not get the crowds in, there not even the best supported club in turin, and never have been!!
    There might not be the sale frenzy people predicted. The clubs affected will try to only let their players leave on loan, so they can return if the team is promoted to Serie A again. It is interesting that Juve have a 30 point deduction though - that may fuck up things for them.

There will undoubtedly be some sales I'm sure.

I'll take Luca Toni from Fiorentina to cover Van Nistelrooy's impending departure to Madrid.

Juve's team is quite old. Cannavaro, Zambrotta and Buffon are probably the most attractive buys. Will be interesting to see how Juve deal with that one.
    Addict wrote:
    There might not be the sale frenzy people predicted. The clubs affected will try to only let their players leave on loan, so they can return if the team is promoted to Serie A again. It is interesting that Juve have a 30 point deduction though - that may fuck up things for them.

There will undoubtedly be some sales I'm sure.

I'll take Luca Toni from Fiorentina to cover Van Nistelrooy's impending departure to Madrid.

Juve's team is quite old. Cannavaro, Zambrotta and Buffon are probably the most attractive buys. Will be interesting to see how Juve deal with that one.

add to that Nedved, Viera, Ibrahimovic, Mutu, Thuram and your looking at a lot of real estate in football terms, I don't think its possible neither would the Juve players be willing to leave on loan.
    I don't see the sales because none of these teams will suffer from immediate financial trouble.
    add to that Nedved, Viera, Ibrahimovic, Mutu, Thuram and your looking at a lot of real estate in football terms, I don't think its possible neither would the Juve players be willing to leave on loan.

Well, older players like Nedved, Vieria and Thuram won't be leaving on loan, they'll just be looking for a new club.

Not sure about the front men. There's Trezeguet as well. It would be a crippled team by the time they got back, so they may just cut their losses and get out. Interesting thing is Juve can't even keep players who are tied to longterm contracts, because most have a clause saying that if the club is relegated, they are allowed to leave.
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't see the sales because none of these teams will suffer from immediate financial trouble.

I agree with most of the other teams but with Juve if the sanctions stick then it is 2 seasons in serie B at least and with the drop in crowds and lack of champions league money, also im sure sponsors will not find a serie B side with no good players an attractive proposition.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    tis what they deserve.

Their own fault!
    If what addict says is true then everyone will leave like rats from a sinking ship, but i would wonder why top teams would put relegation clauses in their contracts.

if it destroys juve then ill be chuffed.
    Kermit wrote:
    if it destroys juve then ill be chuffed.

Rumour has it that they are effectively bankrupt if they don't sell/loan players.

Let's face it 30 points means that they wil struggle to get promoted straight away...
    I take it Juve are kicked out of Europe too?

Looks like Chievo and Palermo for the CL next season :thumb:
    Yeah there all out of Europe :D
    They're all appealing so the final sentence could be more lenient than that... it depends on whether the Italian FA or whoever decided on the penalty hold their bottle.

Though even if their sentences were to be changed they're almost certain to miss next season's European competitions as the deadline is in a few days.

Juventus should have gone down at least another division. If the 30 penalty poiint remains it will probably mean they stay down for two seaons anyway...but if the point penalty is wiped out or even reduced to 10 points chances are Juventus will be back in serie A this time next year.

Whether this puts an end to the endemic corruption in Italian football remains to be seen. I suspect that for as long as Berlusconi or the Agneli family remain as chairmen of some clubs there is always going to be something going on.
    Anyone wants a bargain Italian player, now is the time to get one. I might get one for myself...
    LAZIO!!! NOOOO!!!(in the style of Ivan Dodbsky when his space hopper is poped)

my main man Paolo Di Canio has gone to Cisco
    Is it true that the teams who finished bottom of Serie A (and therefore would've been relegated) stay up?
    Yes, its true.

Similarly, the teams finishing below these teams are bumped up into the CL/UEFA berths.