Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Original or Remake?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Which movies have you prefereed the original or remake of to the other?

I much preferred the original planet of the Apes to the recent Tim Burton remake

Also just watchin the TV movie version of the Hulk and prefer that to the Movie that came out recently.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The remakes are almost always inferior, because they're usually just a big-budget Hollywood version of an already great cult film. Or a localisation of a foreign film for those too lazy to read subtitles.

Martin Scorsese's version of Cape Fear is apparently better than the original, but I haven't seen either, so I couldn't comment.

Alfred Hitchcock remade his own film The Man Who Knew Too Much, so I reckon that must've been better than the original. I've only seen the remake though, and I didn't reckon it was that good, but I imagine that the original was even worse.

I only think that remakes tend to be good if they're of a film that wasn't very good in the first place. The remake of Planet of the Apes was an awful film.
    Planet of the apes by Tim Burton was the worst peace of crap i ever saw at the cinema!

The original Cape Fear was by far the best, i hated the Robert De Neiro one! it sucked ass!

The original Italian Job was fantastic! the Remake was crappy as crappy gets.
    I've yet to see the new Superman Movie - I know it's not a remake but a continuation of the storyline 5 years later - so will have to see, but doubt the actor they got will come close to Christoper Reeve - I think Reeve's Clark Kent was so arkward and accident prone that you really wouldn't be able to look at him and superman and say they were the same person.

The original superman movie took 1.5 years to shoot cos they filmed movies 1 & 2 back to back.

As for the recent Hulk movie I've found it so dull I think I've tried 3 times to watch it and fallen asleep everytime.
    I think Cruel Intentions was slightly better than Dangerous Liaisons, but that's just about the only remake I can think of that was better.
    As for the recent Hulk movie I've found it so dull I think I've tried 3 times to watch it and fallen asleep everytime.
    Likewise, except I didn't bother after the first time.

I think remakes are usually inferior but sometimes neccesary; Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 2005 for example was a welcome addition because they could make good use of all the technology which wasn't available in the first. They also made it more faithful to the book (such as the squirrel scene) which the first film had to alter because they didn't have the effects.
    Neil wrote:
    Likewise, except I didn't bother after the first time.

I think remakes are usually inferior but sometimes neccesary; Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 2005 for example was a welcome addition because they could make good use of all the technology which wasn't available in the first. They also made it more faithful to the book (such as the squirrel scene) which the first film had to alter because they didn't have the effects.

I haven't seen the recent Charlie & the Chocolate Factory Movie - original one I liked as a kid, That was one of the dissapointments of the Planet of the Apes movie, I thought the Chimpanzee makeup looked really fake - thought the original movie's makeup job was much better.

I also preferred the Hulk from the TV show then the really fake looking computer generated one in the movie.
    Some good remakes (not necessarily better than the original) IMO:

- Batman Begins (sort of counts)

Maybe there's more, I dunno...

I was dissapointed with Batman Begins .. Christian Bale wasn't as good as I thought he'd be .. not when I compared it to his performance in American Psyco.

I liked Micheal Keaton in the role
    The remakes are almost always inferior, because they're usually just a big-budget Hollywood version of an already great cult film. Or a localisation of a foreign film for those too lazy to read subtitles.

Martin Scorsese's version of Cape Fear is apparently better than the original, but I haven't seen either, so I couldn't comment.

Alfred Hitchcock remade his own film The Man Who Knew Too Much, so I reckon that must've been better than the original. I've only seen the remake though, and I didn't reckon it was that good, but I imagine that the original was even worse.

I only think that remakes tend to be good if they're of a film that wasn't very good in the first place. The remake of Planet of the Apes was an awful film.

i dont get why people complain so much about remakes

it isnt the origional, if it was their intention to be as close to the origional as possible, then they would just release the origional again

the whole concept of a remake, is that the film is remade, theres so many films ive sat through and enjoyed, and then found out it was a remake, or i have then watched the origional, and thought it wasnt all that good

there are so many remakes that aint all that bad if you view them as a stand alone film, compare them to the origional, then you lose the whole concept of trying to make something new
    MrG wrote:
    there are so many remakes that aint all that bad if you view them as a stand alone film, compare them to the origional, then you lose the whole concept of trying to make something new
    Well then why not make something new then? It's lazy film making and almost exclusively just a cash in on the name. If they genuinely tried to take the concept and take a different angle on it, then it might actually be interesting to watch. It's also the fact that they tend to remake classics rather than crap films, which shows that it's just a blatent cash-in. It's like sequels that were written after they found out how successful the original was (The Matrix), rather than sequels that were always a valid development of the original story (Godfather Part 2).
    Well then why not make something new then? It's lazy film making and almost exclusively just a cash in on the name. If they genuinely tried to take the concept and take a different angle on it, then it might actually be interesting to watch. It's also the fact that they tend to remake classics rather than crap films, which shows that it's just a blatent cash-in. It's like sequels that were written after they found out how successful the original was (The Matrix), rather than sequels that were always a valid development of the original story (Godfather Part 2).

I agree with what you just said.

As far as I know Superman 2 is the only film I know of that was made before the 1st movie even was released in the cinema's and I think it flowed very well from where the 1st one left off.

90% of the reason I want to see the new Superman movies is cos of good memories of the original and the fact I never saw any of them in the cinema's only on TV.

It was like the most recent Star Wars Movies, loved the original 3 - but I didn't like the most recent 3 - but theose involved made a fortune of .. easily would have generated $1 Billion in movie tickets, DVD's and the related Toys and other Merchanised like T-Shirts, Lunch Boxes, Computer Games, etc.

Most of these movies based on TV Series are cashing in on people's found memories for the original TV shows - I just saw Bewitched on DVD (the movies version) and was nothing like the TV Show (in a bad way)

Dukes of Hazzard movie wasn't bad, Magnum is inthe pipeline to be made into a movie .. probably knight Rider as wel I'm sure ... Dallas is coming ...

Half the time people are going to see these movies to see how it compares to the stuff they remember.
    Are we talking sequels or remakes here?

If it's remakes then the only one I can think of that was better than the original was Heat.
    Cruel Intentions is so much better then Dangerous Liasons!

But if we are talking remakes been on par with originals...then check out the Machurian Candidate! Both versions!
    The Thomas Crowne Affair was shit hot when it was remade.
    You have to remember that Heat was a TV pilot, LA Takedown was never seen as a film until Heat got released, so it doesn't really count.

Le Jetee may have been a great art film but 12 Monkeys went a lot further - but it's really more of an expansion than a remake.

As to the Godfather Part 2 - it was never intended but they offered him so much money he couldn't say no - certainly only the early life of Don Corleone was part of the original novel, so it's pretty much luck that it turned out as well as it did.

The best remake in my eyes is probably Herzog's version of Nosferatu with Klaus Kinski as the Vampire, much as I love the original the 70s version is just astonishing.

You could argue that the Altman take on The Big Sleep is a more contained, better acted piece than the original, but that's just a new adaption of the original novel, so doesn't really count (that'd be like saying Ran is just a remake of King Leer)

But the truth probably sits with the business side of things, if you aren't doing it for the money then why aren't you doing something different instead? The people being remakes like the Hills Have Eyes and Texas Chainsaw Massacre clearly fail to do anything even approaching the quality of the original, so they aren't doing it for artistic reasons - and if it's just to make a few bucks - as Subject 13 said, it's just going to be devoid of real value.
    And obviously I'd question if any superhero film should be included, since you're talking about mythology rather than a specific written for the screen, screenplay being rewritten (after all is Batman Begins a remake of the Burton movie, the 60s TV show, the 40s serial, the radio shows, the newspaper strip or the comic books?)

Scarface, etc is really more a homage as well - after all it's always been called the first post modern gangster movie (he knows he's a bad guy in a movie) - rather than the originals focus on family life. If it was a remake you'd expect to see the bowling balls falling over.

I love the idea of remaking failures though, now that would take some balls and some real love for a film that doesn't quite make it. My suggestion would be for a remake of The Golden Voyage of Sinbad - a white Sinbad and too early Harryhausen just disappoints compared to the others - come on Peter Jackson, you already took most of the important stuff out of Lord of the Rings, why not admit you just wanna make Sinbad movies and give us a good one!

I'd also suggest remaking Troy - because it's a fucking great story and I've stood in more entertaining dog poo than the first try.
    I'd say Gus van Sant's Psycho is by far the most interesting idea for a remake. Mainly because it's literally a shot-for-shot remake. I haven't seen it yet, but I'd like to just to see what the point of it is.
    Oh, and I'd put money on The Wicker Man getting the Hollywood makeover at some point in the near future. Possibly Zulu as well. And maybe even The Great Escape.
    They ruined the Italian Job with a remake, the Original was a definitive film. If they dared make a remake of either Zulu or The Great Escape, two unquestionably awesome classics of film making then it would be sacrilidge!

The original King Kong i thought was better then the modern day remake, the only thing the new one had going for it was the modern special effects.

I would love to see a remake of Dazed and Confused with a cast made up of actors like Lindsey Lohan, Chad Michael Murray, etc. The original was awesome with Affleck as O'Bandion, but i could get into a remake.

They, with luck, will never ever ever remake such classics as the Ghost Busters, The Wizard of OZ or other such of that vein. I mean my God, the original black and white Frankenstien was spectacular but Mary Shelleys Frankenstein with De Neiro was horrifically poor.
    Thought the Omen just used the same screenplay didn't think it was shot for shot -

The Wicker Man remake is out September 1st, with Ellen Burstyn for the Christopher Lee role
    (warning: trailer features Nic Cage)
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/thewickerman/trailer1/

and bunglenutter, couldn't agree more about Batman Begins, a really great film, hopefully won't be too long before the sequel.
    Who would be the new Joker though?
    I really liked the recent omen remake, but it was very similar to the original. I liked the new charile and the chocolate factory as well, different to the first film but still pretty good.