Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Paying too much tax??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am a full time student and I am paying a lot of tax still, if your a student is it right that you shouldnt get taxed at all??? if so how do i get this back

Comments

• Options
    I am a full time student and I am paying a lot of tax still, if your a student is it right that you shouldnt get taxed at all??? if so how do i get this back

You pay tax according to how much you earn in a year. Being a student doesn't mean you don't have to pay tax, it just makes it less likely that you'll earn enough, as it's assumed you won't work full time.

As a first step, talk to whoever deals with your payroll. They'll know what tax code you're on, if it's the right one, and how much you've earned/been taxed this tax year.
  • Options
    I am a full time student and I am paying a lot of tax still, if your a student is it right that you shouldnt get taxed at all???

grr i hate how people think this.

no you are not exempt from paying tax. as kaff said it depends how much you earn. once you earn over the earnings threshold then you pay tax.