Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

being monitored at work....is it right?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am allowed limited private use of the internet when I am on my lunch hour.

I am not allowed to use it when I should be working.

What's wrong with that?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:

What's wrong with that?
    Exactly.

Except I get half an hour!
    so i guess everyone posting on here during the day is a student or on the dole? please......

Nope, but nor do I post on here using work computers.
    you're all such goody-2shoes! i think what senor miguels company is doing is quite harsh. i mean i expect a company to track internet usage or block sites to some extent but i think they're going a bit OTT. and those urine tests are ridiculous too.

and just because a company has the right to do it, doesn't mean we all have to agree.
    lipsy wrote:
    you're all such goody-2shoes!

my thoughts exactly......like i said i havent had a single complaint about my work ethic in 5 months here so that's really not in question........maybe its because my previous and only other job was it support in the public sector, where you get a dirty look if you even mention the 'w' word, lol..........or maybe i am just a lazy fucker?.....i've had to step up my game at this place but there is still the odd minute here and there where my mind will wander, i'm not a robot after all........i dread to think what a few more years of this 9-5 will do to me, might end up like you lot :p
    ur bein paid to work not muck about!
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    ur bein paid to work not muck about!

yes and all the work has been done, so now i'm being paid to sit around on my arse ;)
    Kermit wrote:

What's wrong with that?

IMO, there's nothing wrong with that. The thing is, it's not your own private time, so you souldn't be allowed just to do whatever you like when you're meant to be working...
    Sofie wrote:
    IMO, there's nothing wrong with that. The thing is, it's not your own private time, so you souldn't be allowed just to do whatever you like when you're meant to be working...

and exactly what work am i meant to be doing? It's a friday afternoon, there are no cables that need running, no servers need to be installed, i've just finished a colo install and there probably won't be anymore today......so, do tell.....maybe mist was right, there isn't enough work, other times there's too much, that's just the nature of my job......
    Nope systems/network engineer, So i can pretty much go on web sites all the time.
    and exactly what work am i meant to be doing? It's a friday afternoon, there are no cables that need running, no servers need to be installed, i've just finished a colo install and there probably won't be anymore today......so, do tell.....maybe mist was right, there isn't enough work, other times there's too much, that's just the nature of my job......

check that everything's in working order?
    Sofie wrote:

Not only is it not unpaid time, it is also not internet access that you are paying for.

Sure, the odd doss about doesn't swallow much bandwidth, but if everyone did it the company would be paying a large amount of money out for things that are actually hampering productivity.

I think keystroke monitoring is a bit harsh, but the bottom line is the bottom line. You are taking the company's money in your pay packet, and then spending the company's money on the web. The company is well within its rights to protect its bottom line.
    Exactly.

Don't get me wrong, as I said where I work now I have free reign of the PC. But during day time hours I work my bollocks off and only really use the net when I'm on night shifts.

I am very productive too.

It's a perk of the shift worker job ;)
    Sofie wrote:
    check that everything's in working order?

that's not my job, that's what the NOC engineers are there for to monitor the systems......i just build stuff and knock stuff down.

oh and the bandwidth taken up browsing webpages isn't an issue working at an ISP, trust me.
    Exactly.

Don't get me wrong, as I said where I work now I have free reign of the PC. But during day time hours I work my bollocks off and only really use the net when I'm on night shifts.

I am very productive too.

It's a perk of the shift worker job ;)

so hang on it's okay to browse the web during work as long as it's during a night shift? go figure.....
    oh and the bandwidth taken up browsing webpages isn't an issue working at an ISP, trust me.

If everyone does it it is.

You are paid to work not arse about. If you have an issue with that perhaps you ought to find another job.
    Kermit wrote:
    If everyone does it it is.
    No, not if you work for an ISP. even when everyone downloads the same shit from YTMND because its just been MSNed around the office, it isn't a problem.

hypothetically speaking
    if it was my company and my money they were wasting by pissing about on computers while im paying them, then id get pissed off :impissed:
    Big Gay wrote:
    No, not if you work for an ISP. even when everyone downloads the same shit from YTMND because its just been MSNed around the office, it isn't a problem.

hypothetically speaking

Hypothetically speaking the ISP pays for every byte.

Whether its a big amount or a small amount is largely irrelevant.

so hang on it's okay to browse the web during work as long as it's during a night shift? go figure.....

Don't twist what I said.

I said its ok for ME to surf the web at work, because my employer and my immediate boss doesn't give a shit, they can/do watch me on the net/msn and frequently do the same. As long as the work is done we are cool.

I said it's NOT ok for you too, and your employers are within their rights.

If my bosses decided tomorrow its not OK and they want to monitor then thats fine and I'd stop.

And also for the record during the night shift the bosses are happy for us to surf the net/watch films during calls as it can be very quiet and there are only 7 of us here, instead of the usual 200.
    Kermit wrote:
    Hypothetically speaking the ISP pays for every byte.
    No it doesn't.
    Big Gay wrote:
    No it doesn't.

Whatever.

If you're fucking about on work computers you are costing your work money, in both wages and infrastructure costs.

If work don't want you to, then you don't, or you find another job.
    Kermit is right, on both counts, of course the ISP pays for the fucking data transfers :thumb:
    Kermit is right, on both counts, of course the ISP pays for the fucking data transfers :thumb:

Thank you.

Obviously everyone else lives in a magic world where everything is free.