Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

why wont linux boot

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i've downloaded kubuntu dapper and extracted the iso to a CD. ive changed my bios settings to boot from CD but it just loads XP.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what files are on the CD?
    why dont you turn it on and off again, failing that kick it, or give it to the capitalist pigs and carry on using xp :(
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    why dont you turn it on and off again, failing that kick it, or give it to the capitalist pigs and carry on using xp :(

nub.
    did you download the right version?

try unplugging your xp drive and see what error/ bois message you get if it doesnt boot from the cd
    http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/8913/kubuntu2pq.jpg

this is the root directory showing files on the CD. It's Kubuntu Dapper CD (not DVD).
    thanks
    does the cd drive boot from other media? i.e an xp disc or a recovery disc? If so, you mucked up the burn somewhere.

chances are it'll also say "Boot from CD:" at the startup if it's working right.
    I'd expect a boot disk to look different - I suspect this may be a run from windows jobby.

What happens when you double click start.exe?

Other than that, I don't know ubuntu.
    Should work - I've used the Kubuntu CD several times in the last few days. As others have said, try booting off a different disc - you can do worse than download a recovery disc - they have their uses when something goes wrong ;).
    Burn the CD at the slowest speed possible for your writer. Boot CDs are really sensitive to the smallest of write errors.