Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Money Bags

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Really quick question - how many of those clear plastic bags will banks take at anyone time? I've got 9 quid in pennies and 5p's to go in the bank but last time I went in with a number of bags, she said should could only accept a few bags (I had about 7 I think), made a big deal of it all and then turned to her friend and said "What shall I do?", and this woman arched her eyebrows, looked away and said "Well it's at your own discretion, I won't say anything but ya know, policy".

Yeah...so how many do they take at any one time as that was quite a while ago now and I don't want them to be sods about it and refuse to take my money as it's heavy to lug around!

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    :o

That surprises me that banks do that. I didn't think they would have that much of a problem with things like that.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :o

That surprises me that banks do that. I didn't think they would have that much of a problem with things like that.

No nor me - my friend was with me last time and I put these bags out on the table and she recons the look on my face alone must've swayed the cashier .
    Go back in with your money, if they still don't let you do it, get a little bit arsy (but not rude - pissed off but polite is the most effective strategy) and ask to speak to a manager. If you get to speak to them, say you are disappointed in the customer service/coin accepting policy, you're considering making a complaint and you may move your account elsewhere.

I would be very surprised if they didn't, at any point in that process, get so pissed off with you that they didn't just accept the damn things so as not to cause a scene.

:)
    Take them to a post office.
    take them to an arcade.
    take them to an arcade.

Top idea!

Or there are those Coinstar machines in Asda (and other places) that let you put all your shrapnel in and get the cash back ... though they do nick 7p of each pound or similar :grump:
    Kermit wrote:
    Take them to a post office.

I did this last week but the rude bitch told me to go to the bank!!
    post office. i took 30 bags to one once. bloke got really shitty but took them in the end.
    take them to football matches to throw at the goalie.
    I know Nationwide have signs up that say they only take five bags per account per day.

I've taken bags to the Post Office before and the bloke was quite aright about it. He's a right miserable sod anyway so the customer service wasn't up to much, but he didn't moan any more than usual!
    take them to football matches to throw at the goalie.

funny when there was allegations of Bruce Grobelaar taking bungs when in goal for southampton he actually picked up money that was being thrown on for him!!
    I did this last week but the rude bitch told me to go to the bank!!

When I worked in the post office this is what they told people. With or without a 'we're not a bank, you know' depending how shirty they were feeling :yes:

We could accept bags of coins in payment for things, but we couldn't just change them. One woman took this on board and paid for £100 worth of euros in 2p and 5p bags. Stung her on the ass in the end though, when I tipped them out and started counting them. And even better, when she snapped 'can't you just WEIGH them?' I followed the shirty lead of my elders and told her, 'we don't have coin scales, we're not a bank'. She was there a while :D
    Ah but that'd be worth it for me, making someone count them out:D
    Kermit wrote:
    Ah but that'd be worth it for me, making someone count them out:D

It would have been a bit of a pain in the ass normally, but considering how annoyed she was getting I enjoyed every single second. :yes:
    kaffrin wrote:
    It would have been a bit of a pain in the ass normally, but considering how annoyed she was getting I enjoyed every single second. :yes:
    Did you go really slow too?
    Did you go really slow too?

So slow I lost count a couple of times :D
    kaffrin wrote:
    That always seems to happen doesn't it! hehe
    Oh how crappy! I always save my change to take it to the bank. I think the person you delt with before needs to remove the stick from her butt.

Maybe I'll send Ed to her. He has a 3 foot coke bottle change holder thing, last time he got it changed in, for about $1400 in change. Took 3 guys to carry it in. Its near full now, that will show her :p
    kaffrin wrote:

Tsk, how clumsy :lol:
    I've paid in about 150 quid in bags over the post office counter in one go this year
    ive done it with £800 worth of change, was heavy too
    Take it to Asda or Sainsburys? Maybe some other major supermarkets...

Just pour the coins in and it counts it for you.

It's worth the 7p, cause it saves embarrassment AND you don't have to count it into little bags cause it does all that.
    ^_^ wrote:
    Take it to Asda or Sainsburys? Maybe some other major supermarkets...

Just pour the coins in and it counts it for you.

It's worth the 7p, cause it saves embarrassment AND you don't have to count it into little bags cause it does all that.
    you have too much money.