Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

One night stands for youngsters?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Most people don't have a problem with 15/16 year olds having sex with their boyfriends/girlfriends. But I was wondering what people's opinion is of people this age having one-night-stands or casual sex? Is this the same as sex in a relationships, or does your opinion the appropriate age for casual sex differ from the appropriate age for someone in a relationship? Would you consider it acceptable for a 15/16 year old to go back to someone's house from a club, or a newly acquainted 14 and 15 year old to hook up at a party? Do you have to be more mature before you can 'handle' casual sex?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Interesting question... I would say that under 16 is definitely too young for casual sex. I'm undecided about how old is old enough though, I guess it depends on the person.
    well i think under 16 is too young for sex as it is anyway
    MrG wrote:
    well i think under 16 is too old for sex as it is anyway
    You mean too young?:p
    You mean too young?:p

oops
    i would have thought that most under-16s who are having sex are doing it casually (fuelled by alcohol) anyway rather than in relationships.
    lipsy wrote:
    i would have thought that most under-16s who are having sex are doing it casually (fuelled by alcohol) anyway rather than in relationships.

I'd agree with this, but I think its still wrong and how you build up bad reputations.

I don't know what an appropriate age is, but under 16 is, in my opinion, not good, as you are still a child and not ready to deal with the consequences of what may happen, emotionally/mentally and physically.
    As pretty liberal...I'm going to say it depends on the person :p
    Rachael wrote:
    As pretty liberal...I'm going to say it depends on the person :p
    Watch the fence doesn't give you splinters. :grump:
    Meh it does!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I don't know what an appropriate age is, but under 16 is, in my opinion, not good, as you are still a child and not ready to deal with the consequences of what may happen, emotionally/mentally and physically.

Some will be, and some won't.

Like many people I knew, I was having casual sex before I was 16 and it never caused me any bother. I do know some girls however that slept around before that age that later regretted it.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Some will be, and some won't.
    But would you say you have to be more emotionally mature to handle sex outside of a relationship, in comparison to sex with a proper partner?
    But would you say you have to be more emotionally mature to handle sex outside of a relationship, in comparison to sex with a proper partner?
    I'd say that in most cases peoplw under 16 are too young to have a relationship, despite what they think, but casual sex is fine, or sex in on e of those relationships is fine.
    I'm not so sure it would be the casual sex that bothers me, more the fact that these young people are hooking up with random people. At least when you're a couple of years older you have a bit more experience and hopefully common sense, so in theory, you can stay out of trouble a bit better.

Of course, there are street wise 16 year olds, and extremely stupid 18 year olds. :rolleyes:

Although if I caught my sister having sex (casual or otherwise) before she's 16 she would be in serious trouble. :grump:
    Also it's mildly illegal under 16 too.
    Also it's mildly illegal under 16 too.

It's illegal but what is the difference between a girl of 15 and 9 months having sex in a stable relationship and a 16 year old girl sleeping with someone?
    As long as you are happy, informed and safe then it doesn't really matter what your birth certificate says.

I know 14-year-olds who are ready for the whole works, and I know 19-year-olds who aren't mature enough to hold hands yet.
    hmmm yeah interesting one

Im 16 (nearly 17) and although ive never had casuel sex - i have always been in a relationship - i wouldn't turn down the oppertunity of casuel sex if the oppertunity arises. Though obviously i wouldn't just do it with anyone, theyd have to seem like a genuine guy, who i might consider to be a boyfriend (i get on with them, similar age). And of course I wouldn't have sex with anyone without protection or any kind.
    Kermit wrote:
    I know 14-year-olds who are ready for the whole works

I bet you do, you dirty man!
    I bet you do, you dirty man!

:o

I'm a married man I'll have you know!
    For some unknown reason (unknown to me anyway) I did used to keep getting asked my various people in my year if I would like casual sex with them. Always turned it down. Would enver have sex with anyone if I wasn't in a relationship with them...