Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Humane?

I'm thinking of getting my cat a goldfish in a bowl as a treat but my mate thinks its a bit cruel.

Your thoughts?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cat eats fish... nothing wrong with it... also would be more natural if he caught it...
  • Options
    Cat eats fish... nothing wrong with it... also would be more natural if he caught it...

Its not terribly natural to present a predator its prey in a small bowl though is it.
  • Options
    Nope it isn't, but your cat eat from a bowl anyway, it's not like it is a wild predator... Just like humans eat meat that come from the shop even if they didn't hunt and killed it themselves...
  • Options
    You argue good points, I think I'm sold on the idea, when the carnival next comes to town I'll be down there winning a goldfish in a bag.
  • Options
    No worse than buying mice for a snake.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    You argue good points, I think I'm sold on the idea, when the carnival next comes to town I'll be down there winning a goldfish in a bag.
    you just don't care some of you people ...those plastic bags are bad for the environment!
  • Options
    No worse than buying mice for a snake.

You dont normally buy them alive though do you?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

Yep you can do... Like you buy live cricket to give to food for gecko, praying mantis and others...
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I think so. I'm not sure.

Okay then, crickets for a spider.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    bongbudda wrote:

This is true.

If you REALLY want to treat your cat (If it wants to hunt, it can go in the garden) buy it Prawns. They fucking LOVE prawns. Bag of prawns and your cat will be happy as larry.

Goldfish actually also make good pets as well, if you like fish. If not, I think it be a bit cruel... but I like fish, as most animals. TBH, it's a cat too. It would probably catch it, kill it, eat half of it and leave the rest hidden somewhere until to tread on it.

Like the infinte birds they tend to catch.

On another note, my mates cat used to catch his neighbours fish. Then they put a big net over the pond. The cat walked out to the middle on the net and stuck its paw through the holes to get the fish.

:lol: I love how intelligent cats are.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

If you REALLY want to treat your cat (If it wants to hunt, it can go in the garden) buy it Prawns. They fucking LOVE prawns. Bag of prawns and your cat will be happy as larry.

whaaa? buy a bag of live prawns ...set them free in the garden ...give them ten seconds to run and let moggy go?
    not serious hunting that mate.
  • Options
    whaaa? buy a bag of live prawns ...set them free in the garden ...give them ten seconds to run and let moggy go?
    not serious hunting that mate.

give a harpon the cat as well...
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

It doesnt really like prawns, it does like tuna, so I suppose I could just give him some of that, but I thought the fish would be more exciting for it.
  • Options
    The goldfish won't mind, it will forget all about in about 6 seconds anyway...;)
  • Options
    get it a live tuna in a bowl :yes:
  • Options

And put the cat in the bowl too, now you have a fair fight...
  • Options

That it would like then!

NMM... cat in a bowl :lol:
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    That it would like then!

NMM... cat in a bowl :lol:

;)
  • Options
    Wouldn't get them from the fair - lots of them have diseases and it might make your cat ill
  • Options
    I might buy a kitten for my dog to eat as a treat.
  • Options
    I might buy a kitten for my dog to eat as a treat.

Dogs don't eat cats. :/
  • Options

It would have to be a large bowl, the tuna would be as big as my cat.

As for fairground goldfish - I suspect they're not allowed anymore, its only in the good old bad old days you could get them there.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    It would have to be a large bowl, the tuna would be as big as my cat.

As for fairground goldfish - I suspect they're not allowed anymore, its only in the good old bad old days you could get them there.

You still can when the Carnival hits town... at least, last time I was there.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Dogs don't eat cats. :/
    plenty of dogs would kill one though.

tbh, i think if you got your cat a goldfish in a bowl, it would try and catch it for a while, quite possibly give up when it realised it was getting its paw wet, and then if it did happen to catch it, it would probably just kill it or play with it without even eating it, and then try and give it back to you as a "present".
  • Options
    tbh, i think if you got your cat a goldfish in a bowl, it would try and catch it for a while, quite possibly give up when it realised it was getting its paw wet, and then if it did happen to catch it, it would probably just kill it or play with it without even eating it, and then try and give it back to you as a "present".

I fear that's going to be the case, although he's not bothered about getting his paw wet, his breed dont mind water like normal cats.
  • Options
    I reckon a tin of pre-killed tuna will probably be more of a treat tbh, although dont give tuna to cats too often as the excess vitamin E in it is bad for their eyes.
  • Options
    I reckon a tin of pre-killed tuna will probably be more of a treat tbh, although dont give tuna to cats too often as the excess vitamin E in it is bad for their eyes.

I only give it to them very rarely because a) its too expensive, and b) they'll get fat.
  • Options
    Mine get their fair share of live treats themselves (some of which bring back home to play with) so no such treat from me :mad:
  • Options
    i thought they weren't allowed to give goldfish away as prizes anymore?
  • Options
    OMFG you are so cruel cats hate getting wet. You are a big cruel person who wants their cat to get wet. MEANIE.