Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Wedding Gift

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
I'm sure this question has been asked time and time again, but anyway... two really good friends of mine are getting hitched on the 29th and I am completely stumped present-wise.

They don't have a wedding list and have said time and time again that we shouldn't get them presents but just come along and have a laugh. But of course I'm going to get them something, I just don't want it to be a typical wedding gift like posh wine glasses or vouchers or a photo frame. Unfortunately I'm full of ideas of what I don't want to get them, and not what I do want to get them. I thought about getting them a beautiful plant for their garden, but they'll be absolutely coming down with flowers since it's their wedding day. So... maybe not.

Anyone got any ideas or inspiration? Anyone given or received a fabulous wedding present? I'd be really grateful for any insight :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    A toastie maker :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you've grown up with them then one thing Ellie's friends got her was a box of memories, stuff that would tie in with what they did when they were kids.

That might be more of a hen night pressie mind.

I don't really know what else to suggest, because we wanted nice pans, towels and bedding!
    Yeah, you trying to avoid the housey stuff etc??
    Yeah, they don't really want any things for their home or anything like that (so that's the toastie maker out of the picture, too :p ). I've tried to wheedle some kind of hint out of them but they're being most difficult.

I'm really loathe to go down the voucher route, but it's looking more and more likely. Argh.
    do you have any digital photos of them, of a reasonable size and quality, preferable with you in them

i could do a special effects photoshop job, or someone else could, and then post it back to you, and get it printed off big at jessops and framed
    \
    Would they like a decorative thing? Or Practicle or what do you think?
    sophia wrote:
    how much are you looking to spend?

I was thinking about £75. Could stretch to £100, I guess. I want to get them something just lovely (because they are) but everything's so cliched... or boring. Buggeration :impissed:
    What about a really nice photo album, you could put photos of your friendship over the years and then leave a section for their wedding snaps and future.

Although I suppose a photo album for a wedding is a tad cliched.
    Vouchers are really useful though as we already had everything we needed for our house except for nice furniture.

Also I got (which i'd subtley hinted for) a reallly nice picnic basket.

Lastly I got a friend spending money for her honeymoon and i'm thiking of for one of the next ones i go to getting friends who cant' afford to go on a honeymoon a night in a nice hotel
    Wyetry wrote:
    Also I got (which i'd subtley hinted for) a reallly nice picnic basket.

I would so do that, but I got his parents a hamper/picnic basket for their 30th anniversary :(

I did think about making them a patchwork quilt, or a big throw or something that would go in their living room. But that might be a bit twee.
    \
    briggi wrote:
    I was thinking about £75. Could stretch to £100, I guess. I d:
    :eek: :eek: Blimey. I woudnt even spend that on my family, let alone friends, but hey Briggi, you can come to our wedding :p
    briggi wrote:
    I would so do that, but I got his parents a hamper/picnic basket for their 30th anniversary :(

I did think about making them a patchwork quilt, or a big throw or something that would go in their living room. But that might be a bit twee.

Ohh that would be well cool - when one of my friends gets married we are each going to make one squre of a patch work quilt for her and sew them all togeatehr - but its a bit of a long term project I think.
    Can't think of anything, atm. But you could make someting, whether it be something to do with photos, music, etc.
    You could make them a montage of video clips and photo's of things you've done together and get people, their friends, to record messages for them on it and stuff and give it to them so they can watch it back. :)
    :eek: :eek: Blimey. I woudnt even spend that on my family, let alone friends, but hey Briggi, you can come to our wedding :p

:lol:

He's one of my best mates so I want it to be something really lovely. I might not spend that much but I'd be willing to. Weddings do bring out my generous/financially idiotic side though :p Am starting to think I might make them something though...

Bedlinen is a good idea, am still mulling over a quilt as I'd love it to be homemade and I know they're both the kind of people who'd really appreciate it... I'd have to shake a leg though.
    briggi wrote:
    Bedlinen is a good idea, am still mulling over a quilt as I'd love it to be homemade and I know they're both the kind of people who'd really appreciate it... I'd have to shake a leg though.

I like the quilt idea, and if you don't want it to be twee, then think of something that's a bit different and not your average quilt.

The first idea that came into my head when you said a quilt was to do either a checkerboard type effect or stripes - one colour representing her, and one representing him. You could either just choose each of their favourite colour if they're a bit minimal, and leave it like that, or you could embroider or applique designs on to represent them on their respective colour.

That might actually still be a little twee, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    for my sisters wedding my parents got them an etched glass ornament. i know it doesnt sound much but its actually really nice. Its like a glass cube with a picture of the happy couple carved into the inside of the glass using lasers.
    Do they like art?

If you have a nice picture of them, you could see if you could get it painted by an artist.

I know a very good one if you're stuck;)
    kaffrin wrote:
    The first idea that came into my head when you said a quilt was to do either a checkerboard type effect or stripes - one colour representing her, and one representing him. You could either just choose each of their favourite colour if they're a bit minimal, and leave it like that, or you could embroider or applique designs on to represent them on their respective colour.

That might actually still be a little twee, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Cheers kaff, that's definitely something for me to think about. I'm going to mull over it at the weekend and then actually get off my arse and do something about it. I love the idea of embroidering it.

Kermit I would love to get something like that done, but they're pissed out of their trees in every photo I have of them. I could always try and nick one of their "respectable" set :chin: :p
    I know you do poetry what about a love poem done on extra special paper written in calligraphy with a sensible photo of them at the bottom? little personal presents like that are always more special!!