Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Good enough for games?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've nearly finished building my super new PC (for work purposes), so naturally, I want to try out a few games on it to see how good it is. Is my graphics card good enough to play the games I want? It's an Asus nVidia 7300GS with 256MB DDR RAM (clock speed 550MHz). My monitor is a 20" widescreen. The rest of the computer is easily powerful enough (AMD 64X2 4200+, 2GB RAM) but I'm not sure about the graphics card, because even though it matches the required spec, I've had games where the recommended spec (not even the minimum) was lower than my old computer and they've run like a dog. Anyway, I want to run Rome: Total War, Half Life 2 and GTA San Andreas (maybe a few others around this age like Far Cry and Pro Evo Soccer). Will it run them reasonably smoothly?

Comments

• Options
    Yep should be more than enough...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yer.
  • Options
    I was gonna get it for Battlefield 2 but it's a bit of an "entry-level card". You'd be able to play with low res and get an ok FPS. I'd get the 7600 GT Nvidia Pci-e, their great and are perfect for BF2, I am going to get one soon so I can have all the wicked gfx on BF2. My poor little Radeon 9200se bearly runs it :(.

Check this out, it looks like it would a good idea! http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32832
  • Options
    Goooood. Loved Medieval, have to get Rome. And the GTA games are always good for a laugh. And Half Life 2, well you know, that's just legendary. It really is a serious work computer......honest. Can't wait for the new Football Manager too with that processing power. Hopefully my hard drives set up in raid will make it pretty fast. Just hope the little Italian incident doesn't delay it.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    SWEET GFX PSU! I need one, I have SLi :p

You'd be fine on BF:" on MEdium probably, I Could run it on low on my old 9600pro :lol: MY 7800GT sli'd loves it though :D

Go get BF:2, it is fine on low anyway, still fun.
  • Options
    Far Cry I like... Doom3 to test your system is ideal... Painkiller is quite cool too... And the Prince of Pesia collection is just sweet...
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    I was gonna get it for Battlefield 2 but it's a bit of an "entry-level card". You'd be able to play with low res and get an ok FPS. I'd get the 7600 GT Nvidia Pci-e, their great and are perfect for BF2, I am going to get one soon so I can have all the wicked gfx on BF2. My poor little Radeon 9200se bearly runs it :(.
    I've already bought it now. Like I said it's actually a work machine first and foremost, but I was just wondering whether they'd run okay if I wanted to.
  • Options
    Far Cry I like... Doom3 to test your system is ideal... Painkiller is quite cool too... And the Prince of Pesia collection is just sweet...
    Got Prince of Persia on my gamecube. Brilliant game.
  • Options
    Got the PoP trilogy for the PS2 - not quite as shiny looking as the XBox/GC/PC versions, but still damn fine games. Well, the first and third ones for def IMO - number 2 had good game mechanics and ideas but the whole badass prince idea was a bit dubious for me.
    I've just spend £1000 on a new PC, I'm not buying a PS2 now. Especially when I already have a GC which already has those games on it.