Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Me being stupid

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Today I missed work. I couldn't find the keys for my bike to get there, so short of calling a taxi there was nothing I could do. At the same time I had a drama unfold which left me upset, and I didn't want to talk to anyone, but I knew I had to let the coop know I wasnt coming in.

So I asked my mum to phone up for me (this was an hour after my shift started when she got in) and she let my sister do it, and told my sister to say I'd broken down in coventry. Why they couldn't have told the truth, I don't know.

Really scared, maybe its just because of an emotional day, sooooooo worried about getting a bollocking when I go in next. It wasn't my fault though, I mean, I had my uniform on and everything, then everything fell apart. The first ever day I've missed. Feel really guilty.

I've already handed my notice in and my last working day is the 28th of this month. I just dont want this to loom over what has otherwise been a pretty good time at the coop. Ok, so I wouldn't recommend them to anyone as they're a bit horrid :p but nevertheless... What would you do if you were in my predicament now? Considering hiding away :(

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    You have a sound excuse, nowt they can really say. Continue as normal, if they get arsey sod 'em, your leaving soon!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You're gonna have to go back, so don't stress about it. I'm sure they have far less reliable employees, so they might just be a bit arsey about it at first but they'll get over it.

Your mum and sister probably decided to lie cos 'he's broken down in Coventry' seems a much better reason than 'he can't find his keys and he can't be arsed with calling a taxi/getting a bus/walking/other such alternative' - which is how they would have perceived it.

If you're leaving soon it doesn't matter. It's just one of those things. Go in for your next shift, say 'sorry about Tuesday' and get on with the day. Be ready with an excuse in case they ask why you didn't ring yourself. :thumb:
    Lil Laura wrote:
    Your mum and sister probably decided to lie cos 'he's broken down in Coventry' seems a much better reason than 'he can't find his keys and he can't be arsed with calling a taxi/getting a bus/walking/other such alternative' - which is how they would have perceived it.
    thats what i was thinking.
    though i think next time you'd better DIY :p:)
    why couldn't you get a taxi or ring up yourself??
    why couldn't you get a taxi or ring up yourself??

Well, getting a taxi there / back would have cost the same or more as I would get paid for the shift, and at the time I was in a bit of a state so couldn't ring. I considered walking but it would have taken me 90 mins to walk there and it's only a 4 hour shift.

They'll probably think I was trying to skive, but I was in my uniform, had my leathers on, just couldn't fine my keys. Really got to me. I'm going to go in of course, my next shift is on saturday. I'm very worried about being shouted at, I don't like it.
    i guess it would have been better if you'd phoned yourself, as soon as you knew you couldnt make it rather then letting someone else phone an hour after you should have been there. but honestly, i wouldnt worry about it. you said its the first time you've missed a shift so i think they'll realise that you're not generally unreliable and im sure theyre used to people not going into work for one reason or another. if they say something, apologise lots and thats all you can do. they're not going to mention it more than once, if they even mention it at all.
    Did you find your keys? :p
    erm...just act normal. i mean what can they do? fire you? haha let them try.
    anyway its not as if you're the first person to not turn up for a shift somewhere.
    Most they can do express unhappyness about you not turning up and give you shit hours for a day or two.
    Tweety wrote:
    Did you find your keys? :p

Yea, well my brother found them somewhere. He just said 'heres your keys' heh. Will just have to grin and bear whatever happens I suppose.
    i wouldnt worry! they probably wont even give you a bollocking as they know you are leaving so probably wouldnt take any notice anyway.

my best one was when i went out on the lash and the MD rang me on my mobile the next morning when i didnt turn in and i answered and told him i was fucked. went in an hour later. didnt get much of a bollocking at all.
    Make sure to have some details to hand about your bike though. Obviously people might ask, and if you say, 'my bike, oh its running like a dream' then the cover might be blown.