Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

GCSE History

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have the first GCSE History exam tommorow and I am so royally screwed.

There's two sections. Nazi Germany and Medicine through the ages. And like I know the bare facts this happens then and it was because of this but i don't know enough. And i've done hardly any revision so it's all my fault. But arghghghhgh i'm panicking now.

I'm pretty good at History - predicted a B my teacher said i could get an A and all my coursework is A* - but there's absolutely no way I know enough to pass tommorow.

I'm gonna go in there and draw a complete blank to all the questions I know it. So angry at myself. :(

[/rant]
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    i'm bricking it too, unfortunatly because i had to go to councelling during some history lessons i didn't do too well on my coursework
    you don't need to know the whole course back to front because you get most of the information, you just need to throw in some gerneral knowledge
    i find wording my answer the hardest part
    at least you have good coursework to fall back on, i wouldn't worry about it unless you want to do it at A level or further, even then you only need a C
  • Options
    Was going to do it at A level but was considering not doing it because I wanted to take Photography.. but i don't know if i'll be able to do that course for definate and now I probably wont be able to take History either. :(
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i'm bricking it too, unfortunatly because i had to go to councelling during some history lessons i didn't do too well on my coursework
    you don't need to know the whole course back to front because you get most of the information, you just need to throw in some gerneral knowledge
    i find wording my answer the hardest part
    at least you have good coursework to fall back on, i wouldn't worry about it unless you want to do it at A level or further, even then you only need a C

You're the same as me - I know what I want to say in my answers, but I just can't put it in words.
  • Options
    History GCSE = not that hard. I promise. Medicine through the Ages I could possibly give you a bit of last-minute help with if I remember anything. But I was exactly the same as you - predicted a B, A* coursework, and I got an A. As long as you can spout crap then you'll be fine. And remember kids - primary and secondary sources ;p.

For the record, A Level History is so much different to GCSE that the grade you get won't matter that much, ditto IB History. Both me and my A Level friend got told to forget everything we were told at GCSE.
  • Options
    I'm doing Nazi Germany and USA. But I don't know whether on this exam it's First World War and Cold War too..
    The first few questions are pretty simple as it's basically anaylising the sources. I just get stuck with the questions where you have to write like a huge essay to answer the question.
    But guess what..I don't know anything. And my exam is in 2 hours. Great....
    I got an A on my coursework so if I got a D, wouldn't that push my grade up?
  • Options
    Mines on Germany 1919-1949 according to my exam sheet.

Im bricking it. Thats what I have revised so if anything else comes up im stuffed. I wish I was doing the exam on medicine through the ages, I could do that part well! Ugh!

Good luck to everyone!
  • Options
    mines american west and medicine through time....i wish i was doing crime and punishment through time but my teacher was a miserable fart and said that people get too excited about crime and punishment because its gory. Isn't that a good thing?
  • Options
    Well if they were excited about it, they'd probably listen and remember it more. I would, anyway.
  • Options
    Try and relax, go over the major incidents and blag the rest, you'll do fine. Unless you're planning to do As-level history you don't need it anyway. GCSEs are only ever a means to an end. 5 A*-C for a job straight out of school, A*-B/C for the next level of education, and Maths English and Science A*-C, for next level/job.

Chill out, I know it's hard at the time, but it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things.
  • Options
    mine actually wasnt too bad, i didnt have time to answer 1 last part of a question worth 8 marks but i didn't know the answer anyway
    i think i did ok
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    mines american west and medicine through time
    Omgosh that's the exact same as I did. I looooooooooooved it :(.

I'd have done your exam for you :p.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    Omgosh that's the exact same as I did. I looooooooooooved it :(.

I'd have done your exam for you :p.
    now you tell me! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    It would have meant you'd have had to have done my maths mock this morning though :p.
  • Options
    It wasn't actually too bad! :p

I revised like hell this morning - read all my notes, made notes, watched a four hour revision video, went round my friends and asked eachother questions

I didn't have too much trouble apart from on the last few questions on the medicine through time.. I got a bit confused as to what type of question it was and i think i started writing it as an impact question and then concluded it as a factors question.. and then on the last two i think i could have expanded a bit more but i didn't have enough time and i wasn't too sure about some of my points!

But the upside is i finished on time and i feel quite confident. Then again i felt quite confident on another history paper and got and E and got i did really badly on another and missed out an entire question and got a C so who knows. :p

Still have a another paper to go to - sources .. so that wont be to bad..

how does anyone else feel they've done?

And tink - it'll definately push your grade up.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    It would have meant you'd have had to have done my maths mock this morning though :p.
    if you want to fail!
  • Options
    happy days then cazzoo!
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    happy days then cazzoo!

We'll see in August. :p
  • Options
    Mines on Germany 1919-1949 according to my exam sheet.

Im bricking it. Thats what I have revised so if anything else comes up im stuffed. I wish I was doing the exam on medicine through the ages, I could do that part well! Ugh!

Good luck to everyone!

I did this and the world war. Found both of them alright but didn't terrible in the exam.
  • Options
    My second paper was SO easy. I breezed through it.
  • Options
    __tink wrote:
    My second paper was SO easy. I breezed through it.
    me too!! :D all about cholera in london, was good cause there weren't loads of dates and names to remember
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    me too!! :D all about cholera in london, was good cause there weren't loads of dates and names to remember

We were told to revise The impact of the industrial revolution, Aneasthetics .. Simpson chloroform etc.. and I thought that wasn't alot at all - it didn't seem enough and then only the stuff on Jenner came up on the exam!
  • Options
    Cazzoo wrote:
    We were told to revise The impact of the industrial revolution, Aneasthetics .. Simpson chloroform etc.. and I thought that wasn't alot at all - it didn't seem enough and then only the stuff on Jenner came up on the exam!

What you did sounds interesting compared to what I had to study.:(
  • Options
    I know this is a pretty old topic now, but I'm glad you didn't find the test so bad afterall ^^

I had 2 source/non-source (half with sources, half without) papers, which were Germany and Sport, Leisure and Tourism; and one non-source paper, which was Medicine Through Time. Overall I think they went pretty well. The hardest was (surprisingly) the Sport Leisure and Tourism paper, which had quite a few questions I wasn't sure on.

I'm gunning for an A* - I got full marks for my coursework so I need to have screwed up tremendously to get much worse than a B. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that isn't the case :P

Good luck to everyone else.
  • Options
    if it makes you feel any better, as long as you get around 4 or 5 C grades and 2 of those are in english and maths the rest stand for fuck all.