Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Contact lens wearers...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I imagine it's the same for all types of contacts, but if it's not then I'm on about daily disposables..

How do you check if the lens is the right way round (like, not inside out) before you put it in?

I got told to kinda put it in the crease of my hand and if it sticks together when you bend it, it's the right way round. Does that make any sense?

But today my lens stuck together both ways round, so I had to make a wild guess.

Just wondered if there were any other ways of checking, cos that one seems pretty unreliable for me. :/

Comments

• Options
    all ways are pretty unrelaible.
    though another way is put the lense onto your finger hold it up so its level with your eye, if it appears perfectly round its the right way around. - thats really hard to explain, but try it and you'll see what i mean. :)
  • Options
    lol i've been wearing them for years and wear them both way round, same vision and no problems at all...
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Ah, but how are you supposed to see the shape of it without your contact lenses in??? :chin:

Because you hold them close up to your eye! Contact lens wearers arent completely blind.

Diamond Geezer has got the right idea - that's how I was taught. Anyway, if you put them in the other way they sting like crazy, so you'll know that way too. :D
  • Options
    I seeeee. Ta, peeps. :)
  • Options
    Pretty much that, if you look at the edge then one way round you can see a kind of lip, the other way round it curves all the way up. The lip is the wrong way like the piccie shows.

The one my optician said was the cup and saucer, one way round looks like a cup, t'other like a saucer. Its the cup you want. Generally it hurts and you can't see as well, and if not then it don't matter.
  • Options
    you would know if was the right round round once you put it in. i once put it on inside out it came out pretty quick il tell ya that. :)
  • Options
    I got told when I was learning to insert my daily disposables that it was much harder to tell with the disposables than others and that it probably did not matter that much with these. I've probably inserted mine a bit wrong at times but rarely felt it. I can't see the difference when turning them right/wrong.
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote:
    I got told when I was learning to insert my daily disposables that it was much harder to tell with the disposables than others and that it probably did not matter that much with these. I've probably inserted mine a bit wrong at times but rarely felt it. I can't see the difference when turning them right/wrong.

Yeah see I've wondered a couple of times if this is what I've done.

I was told that once I've had the lens in my eye, I can't take it out, rinse it and put it back in (with them being daily disposables), so that's why I want to be getting it right rather than taking a guess and ruining a lens!
  • Options
    It is harder with the dailies, because they're so much thinner. This means it also really shouldn't make much difference whether they're inside out or not. But yeah, I agree with the cup and saucer analogy.

Surprised about the not being able to rinse it or anything. I would have thought that you could rinse it with saline at least. I shall ask at work tomorrow (I work in Specsavers)