Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Wind Farms

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is cool

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/06/electricity_calc/html/1.stm

If it's accurate then only 9,000 to 10,000 windmills needed to replace every power station in Britain?

Doesn't sound like that many to me if you spread them out throughout the country

I'm sure a lot of farmers wouldn't mind having a few on their land feeding back into the national grid and earning them a few extra quid ... Anyone know how windy it needs to be to have these things turning?

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    No idea but I like them.

When I was in France I saw them everywhere. I don't understan what peoples objection to them are???
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    No idea but I like them.

When I was in France I saw them everywhere. I don't understan what peoples objection to them are???

Yeah.

Either way, they're not gonna be in my back yard :cool:
    You aint spoiling my views of the Great Outdoors. :grump: ;)

10,000 windmills seems like a lot to me. But of course we all have to cheer these initiatives in the name of saving the planet. Like the hybrid cars which cost more to make and cause more CO2 emissions over their lifetime than a standard petrol car...whilst every other country churns out toxic emissions like there's no tomorrow...
    I like windfarms, they look :cool:
    They do.

Wind farms are fucking expensive, though.
    I'm going to be more economical :yes:

Saying that, me and the housemate pay a lot more that 600 quid a year for electricity anyway.
    There's a windfarm in my village, tis quite cool.
    Blagsta wrote:
    I like windfarms, they look :cool:
    :yes:
    there are wind farms dotted about here in north wales ...one off the coast of prestatyn.
    they are now wanting to build one two miles off the coast of llandudno but the usual objectors are there saying the sea shouldn't become an industrial landscape.
    there are already gas and oil platforms out there and these will be two miles out to see and they still fucking moan.
    if it gets the go ahead it will supply power for a quarter of a million homes.
    considering there is only around two million people in the who;e of the country thats one fucking good power supply ...yet still they moan ...
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    NIMBY's will ruin every good idea anyone ever things up for it.

I'd be for it!
    i dont mind if they were in my backyard,
    A) they have to go sumwhere, would u rather have some windturbines or a big nuclear timebomb and legacy being burried underneath you?
    B) they cool almost mesmerising
    C) lets protect the environment and reduce CO2 emissions
    D) if they are put off the coast, you cant see them and will cause some great surf breaks,
    dont complain, embrace
    They showed Tony Blair on TV in a boat surrounded by these things in the sea and he said it was difficult to get planning permission for them..

If local councils were getting a percentage of the money coming in from these things i'm sure they'd all be scrambling to get a piece of the action.

I saw my very first Windmill in real life a few weeks ago onthe way to Wales was a bit dangerous really having it so close to a motorway when you've never seen one before .. kinda distracting when you've never seen one. Quite pretty though...

Certainly a lot ncer looking then the chineys of a coal powered power station.

The other advantage of these is less threat of being a terriorist threat, I mean if you flew a plane into a Nuclear Power Station that's something to worry about but fly it into a Big WindMill no big deal.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Good idea. But we'd be better of with another few nuke plants tbh.

Just had a power cut here btw... woke me up. Cunt.
    Put them all on the isle of Man. God knows it serves no other discernable purpose.

Some really tree-hugging people don't like them because stupid birds fly through the blades and, funnily enough, get chopped. Thus, apparently, they're bad. I say that these birds clearly don't deserve to live and this is evolution's way of telling them to get bent.
    They are unreliable

They cost a fortune

They need massive amounts of concrete

Hardly anyone actually wants them near their house

- having said that, they should be used as part of the mix, but they really arent the solution by themselves.
    Put them all on the isle of Man. God knows it serves no other discernable purpose.

Some really tree-hugging people don't like them because stupid birds fly through the blades and, funnily enough, get chopped. Thus, apparently, they're bad. I say that these birds clearly don't deserve to live and this is evolution's way of telling them to get bent.
    :thumb:

Well, there's a bit more to consider than the birds being directly affected by the blades. Windthings not only look ugly to some people, but to some animals too and of course- they are plonked in big fields, which makes the animals move away. I think birds also change their migratory routes to avoid them as well?

I vote nuke.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    bongbudda wrote:
    They are unreliable

They cost a fortune

They need massive amounts of concrete

Hardly anyone actually wants them near their house

- having said that, they should be used as part of the mix, but they really arent the solution by themselves.

I'd say no. As renewable source go, they are shit. There are better renewable sources. Wave, tide, Hydro...

Scotland has a load of Hydro plants and they work really well.

Wind is a unreliable, fucks animals off, is probably going to cause problems where they are built in the sea (Maintanence and idiots going out too close to look at htem and getting stuck. But fuck 'em, if they are that stupid.) - and on land they look cool imho, but I wouldn't want to live near one.

Nuclear is just the best option. Until Fusion is ready. And why is no-one interested in Fission anyway? Besides the danger, it could generate SO MUCH POWER.