Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Advice on parent

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,
Im an adult and need advice ! My mother is always having a go at me .I dont live with her.Its been going on about the last two years now.
Everything i will talk about she will be really sarcastic and contradict me.
I know its not me as my partner has witnessed this.He avoids going round as he said he is embarrassed when she starts to have a go at me. Every time i say something she will start.
It can be over the least little thing.I can go and visit for 20 minutes and after ive been im upset.There is no need for it.
I know she is purposley "Nit Picking " as she contradicts herself.
One Example ;
I said i was going to buy some curtains , i wanted a Dark brown colour as that is the colour of my room .My partner was with me.My mother said she had some curtains that would do also material.The curtains she had were Blue with huge swirly Blue flowers on! the material she had was Burgundy.
I was not rude but i said it was not the colour we wanted .As we wanted brown .She immidatley in front of my partner started shouting " well it wouldnt be good enough for you would it , nothing ever is " as well as a lot more.
I at that point said we are going .My partner and i got into the car he had a go at me and appologeised afterwards but he said there is no need for it. This sounds trivial but there are too many instances to recall.I have on occassions said i am going as im sick of her being nasty - but then the next time i go round she does it again.Its every time i visit!
Another example is my car broke down so she offered me a lift .When i got in the car all she did was moan at "Running me about" how inconvienienced she was etc.I said to her take me home if she is put out etc i will get a taxi , then she said "Oh - resort to emotional blackmail then". I never asked for a lift , i have my own car and it was 1 lift that she offered.
She is so sarcastic and rude , she does this infront of people too. It's embarrassing for me as well as upsetting.
I feel like stopping visits altogether.I dont go round that often nor overstay my welcome.I am never made welcome either.She has been sarcastic to my partner who is a decent bloke - he avoids going round as he said he's had enough.
Ive told her that just because she old it doesnt give her the right to talk to people rudely.
Any advice please.Its got to the point where i dont want to go visit her at all.She is the same with my kids just shouts all the time at them , she had my little girl in tears yesterday and there was no need for it.
Im far from a person who gets easily upset but it's become a point now where i cant actually put up with her anymore !

Comments

• Options
    tough situation, but it sounds like shes a bitter twisted old woman, and just because shes your mother, doesnt mean she has the right to treat you, your partner and your children like shit.
    Avoid her.
  • Options
    tough situation, but it sounds like shes a bitter twisted old woman, and just because shes your mother, doesnt mean she has the right to treat you, your partner and your children like shit.
    Avoid her.
    I just cant understand why she does it ! As she has a go at me constantly.Litrally picking up on my every word ! im barely at my mams a few minutes and she starts or she sits there ignoring me !
    I rarely go round and dont stay longer than 20 minutes because of her !
  • Options
    toxicbunny wrote:
    I just cant understand why she does it ! As she has a go at me constantly.!
    may be beacsue it makes her feel powerful or in control?
    though i agree with what SCC said.