Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Flat Feet...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone here have flat feet and if so, how does it affect you?

I've been referred to an Orthopod and Podiatrist to work out what's been going on with my joints (I've also got flat feet).. but am confused as to what flat feet actually means....?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm probably nowhere near correct on the medical term, but I always thought flat feet ment just what it says. Very small arches, feet almost flat across the bottem. From what I've seen when I was in soccer and track, people with flat feet, they usually just buy some insoles with nice arches and stick them in their shoes and all is good, as I guess it can be painful when walking lots/running what not. Or you could do what my boyfriend does and just whine when you work out and hope to get a foot massage out of it :p I don't know of anything medically they do with flat feet, sorry, though I'm sure they probably have lots of options.
    nmm has flat feet. They look like hobbit feet.
    I have high arches and he reckons mine wouldnt be out of place on a monkey.

Are there health issues with having flat feet then?
    If the arches are totally flat, they can cause knee problems and back problems because they shift the weight onto the inside of your foot instead of on the heel. I'm having trouble wearing womens shoes because my flat feet have push my big toe so it sticks up when my feet are flat on the floor, making it impossible to wear court shoes/ballet pumps :rolleyes:
    I won't know too much about it, until I've seen the Pod really.
    I have high arches and theres LOADS of styles of shoes I cant wear. Basically because with the arches, it makes the top of my foot quite high, and rubs against a lot of shoes, but if i have the little pump-style ones then because my feet change shape when i walk - ie, theyre bigger when my feet is flat on the floor, shoes tend to flop on and off me, and I can never get those sort of shoes to stay on. Its a pain.
    I know you can get insoles with inserts in them to support the arch. You can get them from scholls, for about £30, so it might not even be worth forking out money for a pod.
    Yeah, my mum has what I playfully call 'sindy feet' - her arches are incredibly high - the total opposite of mine. She can't wear high heels either.

I'd rather see a Pod and get professional advice, rather than buying insoles and not actually knowing if they're helping or could possibly cause problems later on...
    I have flat feet and i have to wear the insole things in my shoes that the chiropodist gave me. They are a bugger to wear, so know i don't which i really should. My knees were starting to hurt when i was walking due to my feet.
    I had something along those lines, good bit of physio with instructions for exercises and specially chosen insoles have sorted me out.
    :chin: ... well... thats a lot about feet that i didn't know... :p
    If the arches are totally flat, they can cause knee problems and back problems because they shift the weight onto the inside of your foot instead of on the heel.

Tell me about it. Get my bespoke orthotic insoles next week. THank god.

It's taken me nearly 20 years to get to this point after years of investigations and a bad diagnosis or "sports injury". Still, finally I might get some relief.
    I won't know too much about it, until I've seen the Pod really.

Yeah, that's where I ended up after I finally met a physio who knew what they were talking about.

Had biomechanical examination, and plaster cast of my feet...
    Tell me about it. Get my bespoke orthotic insoles next week. THank god.

It's taken me nearly 20 years to get to this point after years of investigations and a bad diagnosis or "sports injury". Still, finally I might get some relief.

Yeah, that's where I ended up after I finally met a physio who knew what they were talking about.

Had biomechanical examination, and plaster cast of my feet...
    That sounds fab - glad to see the professionals taking someone seriously. :thumb:
    There are exercises to stregthen your arches too...
    I messed up my knee from having flat feet and track.