Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Zidane: the more I think about it...

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
...the less of a shit I find myself giving about the incident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/france/5164094.stm

Apparently Zidane's mother is very ill. If the allegations are true then Materazzi is nothing short of a cunt and he should count himself lucky Zizou didn't headbutt him in the face and break the bridge of his nose into little pieces like the little shit would have deserved.

It would also be a cynical, disgraceful scheme to fuck up a fellow professional and former acquaintance as well. Unworthy of top class football. And I have to say, somehow not entirely surprising considering where it came from.

Now, I know that (sadly) winding up fellow players is not exactly unheard of, but there is a difference between saying 'I'm shagging your wife up the arse ha ha' and commenting on the ill mother of someone.

Yes, Zidane should have kept his cool. But on the other hand he did show restrain. Others might have chosen a far more vulnerable target for the headbutting- or perhaps kicked seven shades of shit out of the player in question later.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What?

Whatever the comments were any kind of retaliation on that level is way out of order.

If someone insults you, you would attack them and think that it is justified?

Zidane is the villain of the piece, no doubt about it, don't try and defend him because of his status (and his Real Madrid connection).......
    Aladdin wrote:
    ...the less of a shit I find myself giving about the incident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/france/5164094.stm

Apparently Zidane's mother is very ill. If the allegations are true then Materazzi is nothing short of a cunt and he should count himself lucky Zizou didn't headbutt him in the face and break the bridge of his nose into little pieces like the little shit would have deserved.

It would also be a cynical, disgraceful scheme to fuck up a fellow professional and former acquaintance as well. Unworthy of top class football. And I have to say, somehow not entirely surprising considering where it came from.

Now, I know that (sadly) winding up fellow players is not exactly unheard of, but there is a difference between saying 'I'm shagging your wife up the arse ha ha' and commenting on the ill mother of someone.

Yes, Zidane should have kept his cool. But on the other hand he did show restrain. Others might have chosen a far more vulnerable target for the headbutting- or perhaps kicked seven shades of shit out of the player in question later.

What Zidane did didn't look like an act of someone instantly losing his cool.
    It was planned and calculated.
    Why do you think he used his head?

If someone called my mum something and I lost it, my fist would be the first to react...

Of course he is gonna say that materazzi said something to him that was "that" bad! But we are never gonna know as it's one word against the other and everything else is hear say.
    The only clear thing is the headbut.
    Case closed.
    He was guilty of what he did, yes.

What I'm saying is that I cannot see myself blaming him much, or feeling sorry for Materazzi.

Turns out he's not the world's nicest player...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpG4AHlZrL4
    migpilot wrote:
    What Zidane did didn't look like an act of someone instantly losing his cool.
    It was planned and calculated.
    Why do you think he used his head?

If someone called my mum something and I lost it, my fist would be the first to react...

Of course he is gonna say that materazzi said something to him that was "that" bad! But we are never gonna know as it's one word against the other and everything else is hear say.
    The only clear thing is the headbut.
    Case closed.

What makes you think it was planned and calculated because he used his head?

Each person reacts differently. And if you have been watching football for most of your life you must recall many incidents of headbutting, practically all of which were a spontaneous reaction after a confrontation.

I'd have a much bigger problem believing it was a planned act than a spontaneous reaction after a gross provocation.
    So if someone assaults someone because they said something then that is justified, you don't blame them? Does this extend to all walks of life or just footie?

Seems like you are justifying a whole lot of violence that to most people is not justified.

and is it really such a surprise that an Italian defender isn't 'nice', don't you support Wimbledon, hardly famous for being 'nice' themselves are they?
    Er... sometimes to all walks of life. Note that I'm not suggesting he should escape punishment. I'm saying that as far as my moral compass is concern if the allegations are true then the little shit got what he deserved.

And as for the Wimbledon dig... LOL!

Do have a look at the video.
    Aladdin wrote:
    What makes you think it was planned and calculated because he used his head?

Each person reacts differently. And if you have been watching football for most of your life you must recall many incidents of headbutting, practically all of which were a spontaneous reaction after a confrontation.

I'd have a much bigger problem believing it was a planned act than a spontaneous reaction after a gross provocation.

An educated guess, mate. I know a few things about human behaviour.
    If you follow the incident from the 18 yard box (after not so much a confrontation), Zidane said something, Materazzi brushed it off, they kept walking, there was nothing said for about 5 seconds than Materazzi said one more thing, and Zidane carried on walking, then turned around into his path and purposefully planted his royally bald head into the mans chest.

This is not how a person who loses control acts, there were no maniacal expressions, waving of arms, angry face or whatever. He was obviously thinking about what he was going to do.

I've never seen any player headbutt anyone in the chest before.

Believe what you want, and so will I.
    And having watched Zidane many times, he does have a nasty streak that resurfaces every so often. Check out how many times he got sent off for Real Madrid.
    What I see on the video is some banter going on, Zidane walking away and then suddenly turning on after the Italian had said something.

It couldn't be more spontaneous if you tried.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Er... sometimes to all walks of life. Note that I'm not suggesting he should escape punishment. I'm saying that as far as my moral compass is concern if the allegations are true then the little shit got what he deserved.

And as for the Wimbledon dig... LOL!

Do have a look at the video.

Yes I saw the video, so? Italian defenders are famous for bending or breaking the rules, Zidane should be used to it seeing as he played there for ages. A lot of those clips are from Milan derbies as well (no surprise as it was compiled by an Inter fan)

Zidane has been sent off 14 times in his career, several for serious violence e.g. last night, stamping in the 1998 world cup etc so he is obviously not a 'nice' player either......
    Aladdin wrote:
    What I see on the video is some banter going on, Zidane walking away and then suddenly turning on after the Italian had said something.

It couldn't be more spontaneous if you tried.

We can do this all day and all night mate, lets agree to disagree.

PS the video - lovin the soundtrack, so appropriate!! Also Inter vs Milan are always passionate and killer games... Although it seems the Marko has got it in for Shevchenko, hehe
    Ok it explains Zidane's actions but it sure as hell doesn't excuse them.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    If somebody insulted my mother like that I'd probably in much the same way - so I don't really have a problem with the way he reacted but I do think he's a little silly doin it on such a stage.
    Weekender Offender 
    Aladdin wrote:

i hate rap but damn that tune is catchy........dirty player alright though.
    Dirty player agreed but ZIDANE IS A FUCKING IDIOT TO HEADBUTT SOMEONE DURING THE WORLD CUP FINAL! It is still his fault! Zidane is not the victim here!
    He's not. But he shouldn't be demonised either, or be remembered for posterity for such incident. Who gives that much of a toss about a (rather comical when you think of it) headbutting to the chest, at the end of the day? It's not as if Materazzi was injured in any way. Far worse to foul somebody and get them injured even if you don't get carded for it- which happens far more often.
    Just watched the BBC news and they have employed an Italian lip reader to shed some light on the incident. Materazzi certainly appears to pinch one of Zidane's nipples at the beginning. A few undetermined words are exchanged. Then Materazzi says he hopes he and his entire family suffer an ugly death, and tells him to go fuck himself.

As a professional Zidane shouldn't have reacted like he did. As a man however I cannot blame him one bit, and depending on the circumstances I might as likely as not kick seven shades of shit out of any cunt who were to say that to me, whether it be in the pub, on the street or at work.

Edited to add: Just saw the first editions of tomorrow's papers on the telly, and according to the S*n the Italian actually/also said "you're the son of a terrorist whore".

Materazzi should count himself lucky he still has any teeth in his mouth.
    That game is fucking quality!

Materazzi shouldn't have said what he said but Zidane shouldn't have reacted to it. Which is worse? The person who provokes or the person who reacts to it?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    The person who provokes or the person who reacts to it?

I have no problem with what he did. The cunt deserved it.
    Weekender Offender 
    I would argue that the one who provokes it but it also depends on the response of the provoked party. Some people might say physical violence is never the right response against verbal abuse. I personally think if someone behaves in a cuntish manner it is not unjustified for his victim to give him a slap.

Of course, in a football field that means instant dismissal and bad news for not just you but your side, whereas the perpetrator gets away scott free.
    Aladdin wrote:

What do you mean "turns out"?

Some of us remember when he played for Everton. He was hardly a shining light then either.

Nothing excuses or justifies assault of the type committed by Zidane, not on the pitch in a World Cup Final that's for sure. I have no doubt that Materazzi said something really offensive, you don't get that kind of reaction otherwise, but Zidane is good enough to make him look a mug.

NB As others have said, Zidane isn't known for his restraint either. I can think of at least two acts of stamping, 1998 and another for Madrid...
    Aladdin wrote:
    Then Materazzi says he hopes he and his entire family suffer an ugly death, and tells him to go fuck himself.

As a professional Zidane shouldn't have reacted like he did. As a man however I cannot blame him one bit, and depending on the circumstances I might as likely as not kick seven shades of shit out of any cunt who were to say that to me, whether it be in the pub, on the street or at work.

Edited to add: Just saw the first editions of tomorrow's papers on the telly, and according to the S*n the Italian actually/also said "you're the son of a terrorist whore".

There are rumours about his mothers health too...
    I'd do worse to any cunt that verbally abused me like that.

World cup final though I suppose - may act differently.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Just watched the BBC news and they have employed an Italian lip reader to shed some light on the incident. Materazzi certainly appears to pinch one of Zidane's nipples at the beginning. A few undetermined words are exchanged. Then Materazzi says he hopes he and his entire family suffer an ugly death, and tells him to go fuck himself.

Materazzi should count himself lucky he still has any teeth in his mouth.

Can someone clear up the language thing for me?

Are you saying the Italian player said something in Italian and the French Player Understood every word (of Italian?) and then head butted him?

Cos if someone said whatever was saidin either French or Italian I wuldn't really react much cos I'd have idea what they just said anyway
    Can someone clear up the language thing for me?

Are you saying the Italian player said something in Italian and the French Player Understood every word (of Italian?) and then head butted him?

Cos if someone said whatever was saidin either French or Italian I wuldn't really react much cos I'd have idea what they just said anyway

Well Zidane made a name for himself playing for Juventus in Italy so I'd presume his Italian is pretty good.
    Yep. He spent 5 years at least in Italy so I'd imagine he speaks pretty fluent Italian.
    If Zidane had have had any sense at all he would have waited until the end of the match, and then nutted him properly. After all, what's a supsension in your last game.

Materazzi did it because it works. Defenders the world over do it because it works. As Martin O'Neill said- oh diddums, it only happens every 15 seconds in a football match. Zidane is a big boy now, and he let Materazzi win.

Oh sure, its not fair, but come on, please. It's a man's sport. Especially as Materazzi is saying he was abused first- something I can believe- and Zidane has a whiter-than-white 14 career dismissals.
    As I said before, the red card was deserving. But I certainly don't think any less of Zidane or see his reputation and career as forver tarnished.

There is actually more to life than football, and if the Italian really did make those comments about Zidane's family or his mother then a severe kicking there and then would have been more deserving. I certainly know which of the two men come off worse in my eyes after the incident- and it's not the one doing the terrible, shocking headbutting.

Chances are Materazzi said what he said because he knew perfectly well the buttons he had to push to get a reaction from Zidane. Such scheming is in my view infinitely worse than the violent act it succeeded in producing, and cunts like that should be banned for 20 games.

So much for 'kicking racism out of football'.
    Name calling, insulting others, stamping on feet and such like has been going on in football forever. The 'words' said to Zidane were offensive but as a player for such a long time and being so succesful I'm sure he has heard many similar lines before.

It was his last game of football. He is one of the greatest players ever. It's the World Cup Final. It was likely the game was going to penalties and France had a good chance of winning. His last moment on the pitch could of been holding the World Cup in his hands. And he does this?

Yes, Materazzi should of not said what he did but this is nothing new. Players will try anything to put others of a game/get them sent off, especially such an important and high profile game. We saw it with the whole Ronaldo/Rooney incident. Materazzi is scheming and not a very nice person. However, Zidane is a fool.
    It was a shame; but yeah, it doesn't make me think any less of Zidane.