Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

In defence of the hoodie - by Dave Cameron

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    I just mean you seem a little too accepting of the removal of civil rights, like that of a trial, or presumption of innocence.

You are right in thinking that the Police largely do a good job and do abide by the spirit of the law, however by giving them such wide reaching powers without checks and balances we are tempting fate somewhat.
    Well, the police carry out what the government tells them. So you can't really blame the police.

My view is that precautions are necessary such as removing some civil liberties to combat a certain problem.
    I think it's unnecessary to prevent young people staying out after 9. If we dealt with the problem in the first place then there would be no need. This government has a habit of using legislation to pretend they are doing something when infact they are simply shifting the problem.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    My view is that precautions are necessary such as removing some civil liberties to combat a certain problem..

Has it solved the problem yet? At what point do we know the lost civil liberties are worth it?
    luke88 wrote:
    This government has a habit of using legislation to pretend they are doing something when infact they are simply shifting the problem.

Something I fully agree with.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Has it solved the problem yet? At what point do we know the lost civil liberties are worth it?
    Majority of the time we don't even notice the liberties have been taken away.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Something I fully agree with.
    ;)
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    What is Cameron trying to say? That those in hoodies are people we should feel sorry for? The only thing the majority in hoodies want is our watches, phones, money etc.

Yeah, that's right, gimme your money or I'll stab you up sta :mad:
  • Options
    Although I do feel that today's youth are given a rough time of things in some areas, I think that the hooded top does inherently give the impression of someone who is trying to disguise their identity. If I owned one, I would certainly never wear the hood up when it was dark if people were around.
  • Options
    I wear hooded tops, have done for the last 16 years or so. They keep my head warm when it's cold.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Blagsta wrote:
    I wear hooded tops, have done for the last 16 years or so. They keep my head warm when it's cold.

And prevent rain.

They're truely brilliant.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    And prevent rain.

I'd love to find a hoody with the ability to affect the weather, but sadly I'm still looking. :(
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'd love to find a hoody with the ability to affect the weather, but sadly I'm still looking. :(
    :lol: Maybe that sentence was a little short.

Prevent rain getting on my head. ;p

To affect the weather, what you need is some sort of super polluting machine.
  • Options
    This thread is a bit pointless, can't believe I've just read through it!!
  • Options
    Im going to take my Xpression FM hoodie to Reading Festival with me. I also has the personalised name tag of 'Welsh Dan - News Boss' The only thing ive been called when wearing the hoody witht he hood up (it was cold) is a 'Grebo'
  • Options
    Grebo? Ha ha ha! That's a bit 1980's innit?

"They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got
    big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They
    are very, very ugly indeed..." :D
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

I'm very pleased for you.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Grebo? Ha ha ha! That's a bit 1980's innit?

"They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got
    big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They
    are very, very ugly indeed..." :D

:(

I was just wearing a black hoody which happened to push my greasy non washed black hair over my eye. *sniffle*
  • Options
    I'm very pleased for you.

So how does me keeping my head warm "inherently give the impression of someone who is trying to disguise their identity"? It says more about you than it does me.
  • Options
    I was given a hood for my graduation yesterday - I wonder if I am the demographic Dave Cameron was going for?
  • Options
    Was in town yesterday... a bunch of bullies in hoodies, were hitting two innocent victims. Security guards for some shops ran up to the bullies and grabbed them, pulled them away and held them until the police arriived. One of the girls goes 'I am not bothered'... she shouted like that girl off that TV show. Hug a hooddy? You've got to be kidding. How about hug the victim.
  • Options
    Aaaah yes, luke of course. It woz the hoods wot made em do it guvnor.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So how does me keeping my head warm "inherently give the impression of someone who is trying to disguise their identity"? It says more about you than it does me.

Steady on there cowboy. I'm not arguing that hoodie wearing individual = criminal. I do, however, appreciate how hooded tops have become associated with troublesome youths.

Are people who wear hooded tops all being tarred with the same brush, probably by some, yes. But is the hoodie wearing youth just an analogy for the types of trouble maker we all know it makes reference to, i think it is.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Aaaah yes, luke of course. It woz the hoods wot made em do it guvnor.
    It's a shame you will never understand, how sad. :rolleyes:

Go on... hug a hoodie. :thumb:
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    It's a shame you will never understand, how sad. :rolleyes:

You're right, I'll never understand your gibberish. I don't think anyone ever will.
    luke88 wrote:

I do already - I hug my missus every day.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    No, but thanks for asking. :p How about giving a hug to old miserable Tory gits that nobody likes or to a member of the Hezbollah? ;)