Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

An ethical question

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sofie wrote:
    we have to pay for everything else?

Errrr...yeah. How else are things like social services, health services paid for?
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    I once saw a homeless person and offered that person my un-opened drink, as i got it on buy one get one free and didnt want it anyway.

It was refused. I dont know why it was refused, but to a truly homeless person who has to beg for money to buy food and drink in order to survive; this drink would have been important

This made my mind up about giving money directly to the homeless.

You also cant tell if they are really homeless or not, there was a guy who used to hang around at the train station pretending to be homeless, i saw him collect loads of money as i was waiting for my train. A few days later i saw him on a night out, dressed well, with a group of friends getting drunk.

So many judgemental people on this thread. :(
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Errrr...yeah. How else are things like social services, health services paid for?

Not being funny or anything, but I don't see why we would have to pay for stuff for the homeless. Why should we?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Not being funny or anything, but I don't see why we would have to pay for stuff for the homeless. Why should we?

Well I guess it depends what sort of society you want to live in. One in which we look after people or one where we let people die on the streets.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Well I guess it depends what sort of society you want to live in. One in which we look after people or one where we let people die on the streets.

Fair point. But why should taxpayers have to pay for something which isn't tenchincally anything to do with them?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    why should the sweat of a miner pay for the luxurious life of a lord?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Fair point. But why should taxpayers have to pay for something which isn't tenchincally anything to do with them?

What do you actually think the purpose of tax is? :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    how can it not be anything to do with all of us?
    it is hard to enjoy wealth amidst poverty.
    is invading another country that poses no threat to you and has nothing to do with you whatsoever ...being paid for by the tax payer?
    as a tax payer i pay for a woman with a disfunctional family in a big house in london ...i'll never meet her ...never say hello to her ...whats it got to do with me?

of course we should be friggin helping those at the bottom of the pile!
    it's called compassion and even ...progress.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So many judgemental people on this thread. :(

Im not judgemental, ive learned from my experiences. No, not all homeless people are like that, but how am i to tell?

I'd rather give money to charities where i know the money will be doing some good.
  • Options
    tax goes towards loads of things. You still pay it at the end of the day, no matter what it goes towards.
    You can't really moan about people being on the streets then say you shouldn't have to pay to do something about it because ''its nothing to do with you''
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    You live in a society don't you? Then EVERYTHING about that society has to do with you.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    but to a truly homeless person who has to beg for money to buy food and drink in order to survive; this drink would have been important

That's fairly judgemental. Who are you to tell a homeless person what is important or unimportant to them? They may have had mental health issues and been paranoid, they may have been given spiked/tampered with drinks by people before (it happens, as well as getting pissed on, shat on (literally), spat on, kicked, punched, abused, set on fire).
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    That's fairly judgemental. Who are you to tell a homeless person what is important or unimportant to them? They may have had mental health issues and been paranoid, they may have been given spiked/tampered with drinks by people before (it happens, as well as getting pissed on, shat on (literally), spat on, kicked, punched, abused, set on fire).

the drink was sealed

if theres a homeless person sat begging for spare change for something to eat, then that gives the impression to me, that nutrition is something important to them! I wasnt impressed with how rudely i was declined; i never had to offer it to him but i did. Maybe a "no thankyou" would have been nice

Anyway, im not referring to all homeless people here, i just was very unimpressed with the reaction i got that day from this particular homeless person, when i'd gone out of my way to try and help a stranger.
  • Options
    Maybe he wasn't thirsty?

I offered a homeless girl some crisps once when she asked me for money, she refused, she asked if I had a cigarette, I offered her a menthol one and she turned her nose up at it. Anyway.

I don't give to homeless people. They always come up to me, as a female on my own, and don't go up to a big black guy (for example). I get fed up of hearing big long stories, I don't have much money myself.

I know that may sound mean but when you live in a city and get hassled constantly, it just gets you down and hardens you so you avoid them.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Maybe he wasn't thirsty?

maybe not but he had no need to jump down my throat about it, i was only trying to help!

if he wasnt thirsty though, he wouldnt of given me a speach about being hungry/thirsty etc etc etc and needing a little bit of change.

That reminds me of another time the same thing happened, he was really emphasising how he was so hungry, and i called his bluff by offering him a choaolate bar. Same disgusted reply i remember!
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    the drink was sealed

if theres a homeless person sat begging for spare change for something to eat, then that gives the impression to me, that nutrition is something important to them! I wasnt impressed with how rudely i was declined; i never had to offer it to him but i did. Maybe a "no thankyou" would have been nice

Anyway, im not referring to all homeless people here, i just was very unimpressed with the reaction i got that day from this particular homeless person, when i'd gone out of my way to try and help a stranger.

Except that this particular instance has affected how you think about all homeless people - "This made my mind up about giving money directly to the homeless." Homeless people are all individuals, they're not all in some club and responsible for the others y'know.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Except that this particular instance has affected how you think about all homeless people - "This made my mind up about giving money directly to the homeless." Homeless people are all individuals, they're not all in some club and responsible for the others y'know.

this is exactly it, i cant tell what would happen to my money if i did give to the homeless. If i was rich, y'know maybe i wouldnt so much care. But parting with my money which is scarce as it is, i would rather put my spare change in a collection box or give it to a charity. I wouldnt hesitate in offering more food or drink to a homeless person who starts telling me they havent eating in x amount of days, or who tells me they are so thirsty etc, but because of my experiences so far, i wouldnt give them the money, i would rather give them the product they claim to so badly need. If its refused i'll know they were lying, if its accepted i can know ive helped that person.
  • Options
    Point is, who are you to tell a homeless person what they should spend their money on? Either give them some money or don't.

For the record, I don't often give to homeless people, but do occasionally. I don't care what they then spend it on, in fact, one time someone was honest enough to tell me he needed enough for a ten bag, I respected his honesty.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Point is, who are you to tell a homeless person what they should spend their money on? Either give them some money or don't.

For the record, I don't often give to homeless people, but do occasionally. I don't care what they then spend it on, in fact, one time someone was honest enough to tell me he needed enough for a ten bag, I respected his honesty.

i think you have mis-understood me, or i havent got my point across properly.

Im not trying to tell anyone what to do with their money. I want to know what happens to my money.

I dont appreciate being lied to; if they beg for my money to buy food then i expect my money to be spent on food. If they beg for my money to buy a drink then i expect it to be spent on a drink!

Each to their own opinion and all, you may not care where your money ends up, but i do.
  • Options
    Would you respect someone more if they told you they needed it for a bag of brown or a drink?
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    I dont appreciate being lied to; if they beg for my money to buy food then i expect my money to be spent on food. If they beg for my money to buy a drink then i expect it to be spent on a drink!

BTW, this is rather arrogant. Does anyone ask you what you spend your money on?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Would you respect someone more if they told you they needed it for a bag of brown or a drink?

i repect being told the truth

Its not a matter of arrogance or needing to know what they spend money on. Its about wanting to know where my money ends up, and not being lied to.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

I know you're not asking me, but I'll answer anyway.

I'd appreciate the fact that they were being honest but I wouldn't give them money to buy drugs and alcohol. I don't go to work to pay for a stranger's destructive habit.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    i repect being told the truth

Its not a matter of arrogance or needing to know what they spend money on. Its about wanting to know where my money ends up, and not being lied to.

Fairynuff. Would you respect someone more if they told you they were going to spend it on a can of Special Brew?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Fairynuff. Would you respect someone more if they told you they were going to spend it on a can of Special Brew?

Isn't that the same question?

Some homeless people can be quite intimidating when they approach you, which puts people off giving to others.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

as i said, i dont repect what items the spend it on more than others, i respect the truth. Whether thats drugs, alcohol, food or drink.

Its as if your trying to get me to go on some anti-drugs rant, which wont happen because im not anti drugs, far from it.

I just dont like being lied to, whether its a homeless person or not. I shouldnt give them any special treatment such as being allowed to lie just because they are homeless- thats judgemental in itself
  • Options
    I notice you haven't answered the question.

Would you respect (and be more likely to give money) if a homeless person said that they were going to spend the money on alcohol or other drugs?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I notice you haven't answered the question.

Would you respect (and be more likely to give money) if a homeless person said that they were going to spend the money on alcohol or other drugs?

ive already said that i wouldnt give money. It doesnt matter what they say its for, at this time in my life i wont give money. If i get rich, maybe i'll reconsider but i dont have money to give away. Whether someone says its for food or drugs.

Ive already answered that i wouldnt respect someone more or less for saying they will spend it on money or drugs
  • Options
    I'm just trying to understand what your objection is. It seems to be that someone who says they are begging for food money, might not be. They might be begging for drug money (although you have no way to tell). You have then said that actually if someone was begging for drink or drug money and was honest about it, you still wouldn't respect that or give money.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm just trying to understand what your objection is. It seems to be that someone who says they are begging for food money, might not be. They might be begging for drug money (although you have no way to tell). You have then said that actually if someone was begging for drink or drug money and was honest about it, you still wouldn't respect that or give money.

i do respect the truth, but in order to respect the truth i need to know its the truth? I cant tell if they are telling the truth.

Anyway, at the end of the day i dont have money to give away so its not even an issue for me.