Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

India joins in Nuke testing!

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Story
India has successfully carried out its first test of a nuclear-capable ballistic missile with a range of 4,000km.

The Agni-III missile was launched from Wheeler Island, 180km northeast of Bhubaneshwar in the eastern state of Orissa, defence officials said on condition of anonymity.

In May, Pranab Mukherjee, the Indian defence minister, said that the Agni-III, India's longest-range ballistic missile, was ready but that the country was observing "self-imposed restraint" before testing.

Opposition parties criticised the announcement, saying testing was delayed because of pressure from the United States. New Delhi and Washington reached a deal in March that will lift sanctions on India's access to civilian nuclear technology.

So, North Korea and Iran aren't allowed, but India is. A nice policy with plenty of continuity by the West here, then.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah go find the logic in that... That's pretty fucked, I think it depends on how the feeling feels about the country more than what they actually do... Maybe one day they will invade a country because they are farting too loud...
  • Options
    They're only going to attack those evil pakistanis anyway so thats ok. :thumb:

I jest!
  • Options
    I think it's mainly cos if they go invade india there isn't much they can get over there, would be a waste of money for them... Iran and NK in te other hand got few ressources that could be good to have...
  • Options
    There was pressure from the US, but doesn't India have the bomb already?

Furthermore, I don't think India has said it destory a country unlike Iran.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:

Yeah they have already, they are just doing some tests...
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:

Pakistan and India dont exactly have a great history of friendship though do they...
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Pakistan and India dont exactly have a great history of friendship though do they...
    No they don't, who suggested that?

They haven't threatened each other with nukes or wipe each other off the map though have they?
  • Options
    The logic is quite obvious, India is an ally of the west, North Korea and Iran are not, hence hostility to the latter having incredibly powerful weapons......

it ain't rocket science.......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    The logic is quite obvious, India is an ally of the west, North Korea and Iran are not, hence hostility to the latter having incredibly powerful weapons......

it ain't rocket science.......
    The fundmental thing is though... Iran has threatened a country to wipe them off the map... it doesn't take someone who has studied rocket science to understand what they mean by that.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:

They haven't threatened each other with nukes or wipe each other off the map though have they?

India is still hostile to Pakistan. Hence it could potentially use weapons. Im not saying they will but they could if they wanted to.

I dont think any nation should have any nuclear weapons personally.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    India is still hostile to Pakistan. Hence it could potentially use weapons. Im not saying they will but they could if they wanted to.
    They have not threatened one another as opposed to Iran.

Renzo wrote:
    I dont think any nation should have any nuclear weapons personally.
    Nor me.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:

i think you'll find they have.
    this isn't about rockets that you fire at your next door nieghbour but ...someone thousand of miles away.
  • Options
    i think you'll find they have.
    this isn't about rockets that you fire at your next door nieghbour but ...someone thousand of miles away.
    I don't understand.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    I don't understand.
    they have threatened each other ...india and pakistan.
    this isn't about nukes as such but long range capability.
    who do you think they might have in mind thousands of miles away?
  • Options
    they have threatened each other ...india and pakistan.
    this isn't about nukes as such but long range capability.
    who do you think they might have in mind thousands of miles away?

Then maybe everyone said nothing of india testing so missiles hoping a conflict occur between india and pakistan... An other war could be good for them and that one not started by them so it's all good...

There is war, so we have to go there... in peace...
  • Options
    There's one word here which everyone seems to be getting at - Kashmir. We know India and Pakistan have been fighting like rats to get this piece of land for themselves. Pakistan has nuclear powers, so what does India do? It says "we'll have a bit of that!". Far be it for me to sound like a pacifist, but I think the world needs to engage in a programme to dismantle all nuclear weapons. Every last one. No nation can be trusted with them. Besides which, the threat of terrorism is worldwide, which means a nuclear deterrent is pointless.
  • Options
    Was it a sea detonation or an air detonation? Or have they just tested the carrier missile? Maybe I should read the article..hmm
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:

Are you daft? Are you not AWARE of the ongoing conflict between India and Pakistan?

Sigh. I suppose I shouldn't be supprised as it is you.

Anyway, as SG said - no-one can be trusted with Nukes. But sadly they are now a fact of modern diplomacy. Don't fuck with us, we got the bomb. Westwood 101 etc.

I say someone should invent a singularity generator and generate quantum singularities in all the worlds nuclear missile silos before ceasing thier existence.

All the nukes in the world... gone. Level playing field. No more threatening by anyone.

Lets do it!
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Was it a sea detonation or an air detonation? Or have they just tested the carrier missile? Maybe I should read the article..hmm
    long range missile test.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Anyway, as SG said - no-one can be trusted with Nukes. But sadly they are now a fact of modern diplomacy. Don't fuck with us, we got the bomb... All the nukes in the world... gone. Level playing field. No more threatening by anyone. Lets do it!
    If, a few years ago, you'd have approached me with that proposition, I would have probably laughed. But increasingly, I can't see any other solution. These nuclear weapons aren't making the world any safer. The difficulty would be in getting the entire world on board, and not having to deal with one arrogant superpower refusing to get on the ship - and yes, I'm talking about the USA's amazing refusal to sign the Kyoto Treaty. Is there a chance this solution could happen? As long as the two megalomaniacs Bush & Blair remain in office, no.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    If, a few years ago, you'd have approached me with that proposition, I would have probably laughed. But increasingly, I can't see any other solution. These nuclear weapons aren't making the world any safer. The difficulty would be in getting the entire world on board, and not having to deal with one arrogant superpower refusing to get on the ship - and yes, I'm talking about the USA's amazing refusal to sign the Kyoto Treaty. Is there a chance this solution could happen? As long as the two megalomaniacs Bush & Blair remain in office, no.

What's climate change got to do with nuclear weapons?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    It doesn't. What I'm saying is the USA has got a record of doing things against the world's will, and merely using their refusal to sign the Kyoto treaty as an example of that.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:

Nuclear Winter mate? Any idea what a nuke would do to the climate? :p

TBH - The US will NEVER give up its nuke with the current style of rule. Unless some BIG change happens in US politics soon.

And if the big bully boy America won't, why should the rest of the playground?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    If America is personified by Nelson Muntz from The Simpsons, I dread to think what role Britain plays in it.
  • Options
    the last time india tested a nuclear bomb the USA imposed economic sanctions upon them.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    the last time india tested a nuclear bomb the USA imposed economic sanctions upon them.
    this isn't a bomb ...it's a rocket with no warhead.
  • Options
    yer...

India joins in nuke testing

and
    So, North Korea and Iran aren't allowed, but India is

• Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Are you daft? Are you not AWARE of the ongoing conflict between India and Pakistan?

Sigh. I suppose I shouldn't be supprised as it is you.
    Yes I am aware of the on going conflicts..... so tell me... show me the evidence where India and Pakistan have threatened each other in the same form as Iran has threatened Israel.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    It doesn't. What I'm saying is the USA has got a record of doing things against the world's will, and merely using their refusal to sign the Kyoto treaty as an example of that.
    They have other methods of tackling climate chnage. The treaty is dead in the water anyway, hardly any countries are keeping with their targets.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

America has not threatened to wipe a country off the map - that's the fundamental difference.