Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Distance Learning

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I started doing my AS levels back in 2004 but had to quit cos of ill-health...
Two years on all the people I started the course with are all qualifying and it's making me think.
It's very tempting to go back and do them, but I really don't fancy going to college and having to study with people two years younger than me, cos I usually get on better with people older than myself anyway.
I've been considering the option of distance learning but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not. Has anyone else done it and can tell me what they thought of it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i've taken a few distance learning modules at university, alongside regular modules at uni study. i thought the ones i did were quite good, because i could do them in my own time and could very easily catch up if i couldn't do it one week. there were discussion boards up to discuss the material in more deapth, and it was quite interactive. but DL modules only have made up a very small part of my degree - and i'm not sure i would want to do an entire course like that. it does take more self discipline than where you attend. i think you need to know what support is in place and exactly how the course is organized before doing it. i mean, my uni was actually very good with the way the modules were structured, etc. so, i suppose i would reccomend it.
    the other thing i would say to you is, don't ever feel like you have to compare yourself or be the same as other people... just because they've got theirs...etc. though if you want to do it for you... go for it!! :)
    An alternative option would be to go straight into a degree with the Open university- you wouldn't have to complete it in 3 years and could slow down/speed up depending on how you're coping- min 3 yrs to complete but otherwise you could take as long as you wanted. You can take a range of qualfications at different levels and many people haven't studied for 30+ years and join and get a degree...

check out www.open.ac.uk if you want to start courses this October do the research now- I've signed up for DD100 and DD201 if either of those interest you or you have questions I'll do my best.
    This article on distance learning might give you some more info ;)
    I found distance learning impossible, I work full time and there just arent enough hours in the day! Saying that though, a lot of people I work with cope just fine .. depends if you have the discipline I suppose
    I thinking of doing this because my qualifications are pretty p*ss and in my feedback from uni. said they wernt that strong apart from my foundation degree

www.hotcourses.co.uk is a good place to look and some courses are a lot cheaper the ICS and have no adverts like "ICS-you can"
    I think distance learning is kinda silly (unless it's really the only option) - you learn more about life from meeting new people in the classroom and stuff like that.

You realise some people are hard workers and others slackers.
    Lots of people choose to distance learn for lots of reasons- there are lots of benefits: some people feel they develop more skills studying mainly on their own, rahter than (in some cases) being 'spoon-fed'. Distance learning also shows up those who are motivated and those who aren't; many distance learning courses include tutorials where you meet people and discuss ideas (my OU course has 3 per month) and the internet can also be used to discuss ideas and set up study groups. Distance learning can also be a great option to give people life expereince in that they can study when they want to and so can take full advantage of opportunities (e.g. work/travel).

I really don't think you could just say its 'kinda silly (unless its reall the only option)'....