Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Heya Guys, Advice please!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Heya Guys,
Ive recently decided to go on a diet starting from tomorrow.
And ta give up chocolate 4 2 months!
But i really want some ideas and advice on the best ways of loosing weight!
Im gaining ta be a size 10 and 8 & a half stones!
I also wanna know the best and most effective ways of toning up the following body parts .. tummy, arms, legs and firming up mi bum !

Please give all advice and ideas possibly.

Love *Sweet_Cheeks*

xxxx

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Don't eat pies.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JsT wrote:
    Don't eat pies.

:lol: Speak English?

Seriously though, if you do diet, don't just cut out fat completely.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Sofie wrote:
    :lol:

I was being serious.

Scientists have proved the more pies you eat the more weight you gain. It explains where I've been going wrong all these years...
    it depends what weight you are now
    tbh if you cut something out, you'll just end up craving it and binging.
    Diets are pointless cause you can't keep them up forever so the weight comes back. Just eat healthily.
    no offence but i don't understand why people make threads about how to diet etc. with the amount of articles we're bombarded with everyday about the latest diet or exercise or how to lose weight in 2 weeks you'd think people would have got the idea by now.
    JsT wrote:
    I was being serious.

Scientists have proved the more pies you eat the more weight you gain. It explains where I've been going wrong all these years...

But the thing is i dont like pies!:lol:
    Don't go starving yourself or imposing yourself on these retarded diets I hear about such as the "Dog food diet" or the "rice and pea diet" or whatever they try and market these days. Just exercise regularly and eat healthily. Eating healthily doesn't mean eating badly. Veggies are super yummy.
    Main thing to remember - you cannot choose which body parts to lose fat from. You can do exercises to make certain body parts look better once you've lost the fat from them, but your body will lose fat from the places it want to (usually not the places you want to lose it from).

If you're serious about this, then you will have to undergo a lifestyle change (I don't know what you're lifestyle is like at the moment, but that will determine how much of a change). If you're not serious about this, then you won't get the results you want, or you will, but the will be temporary. The healthy eating is the most important part. Exercise is important too, but without the correct fuel, no amount of exercise will lead to a real improvement in your health.

I think the most important thing to do would be to do a bit of research into food groups and calorie control yourself. Diet and fitness is a huge industry and there are a lot of people out there that will try to sell you their bullshit, which is why it's important to educate yourself about these things. Once you have a basic knowledge of these things, then come with more specific questions.

I agree that you shouldn't be cutting foods out completely. Most people who are into fitness will have one 'cheat' food per day, such as a chocolate bar. A start would be to pick out all of the foods that you like at the moment, but that aren't very good for you, and try and think up healthy alternatives for them. So instead of a chocolate bar, you could buy and apple, instead of crisps, you could buy nuts or seeds, for example. I think the second step would be to come up with some healthy meals yourself, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, which contain a fairly balanced amount of all of the required food groups (carbohydrates, fats, protien, fibre etc). After that, you can start to come up with a healthy eating and exercise plan which if carried out, will lead to a healthier body.
    Blah blah blah. eat fruit. eat veg. walk everywhere. do aerobic exercise. do some weights. go swimming. don't eat pies. blah blah blah.
    lipsy wrote:
    no offence but i don't understand why people make threads about how to diet etc. with the amount of articles we're bombarded with everyday about the latest diet or exercise or how to lose weight in 2 weeks you'd think people would have got the idea by now.

yeh and you'd think it was common sense really...
    Ok. I was pissed last night and being mean. Hope the post below is useful and makes up for the flippancy... I personally didn't get a post school podge gain, I got mine after I finished college because it wasn't gonna happen running around after a baby or whilst doing Performing Arts but for most young women, the below seems to be true. It doesn't take into account that a 16yr old may still be growing and developing her woman's body so her post-fresher weight might naturally supposed to be a little heavier. Also, the model young woman I used walks to school, is sporty and meets friends in park etc...

When a girl finishes school at 16, she may weigh 8.5 stone. By the time she finishes college she might be 9.5 st, and we've all heard of the Fresher weight gain, which is what, about a stone too? makes our girl 10.5 stone. Some people might not mind or even will embrace this womanly shape, but for other's it's a bit odd to find bumps and curves where you never had them before, and whilst you're not fat, possibly even still slim- it's uncomfortable to your own body image. Conversely though, you feel sure you're not eating more, you have even cut out the choc bar that you used to eat everyday after school. The answer seems incredidbly obvious to me, and maybe everyone else? Change of activity level changes body composition + lower expended energy = lifelong weightgain and bodily bemusement.

The difference for a woman's base daily calorie requirement between her end of school weight and end of uni weight in above example, is miniscule but if you work it out carefully, even though she's gained weight her base metabolic caloric requirement actually goes down. Let me show you:

First calculation is for 'straight' calorie requirement, though USELESS in isolation, and simply weight in pounds times 9.8. So, 8.5 stone is 1166 (119x9.8), 9.5 stone is 1303 (133x9.8), 10.5 stone is 1441 (147x9.8). The difference here shows she needs 275 cals more at her heavier weight (that's relatively small, just more than a mars bar a day), BUT this is a false result as you'll see...

Real calculation must take into account body compostion (how much fat/muscle) and activity level (from walking to school everyday and games, PE, and meeting friends on foot to slobbing out at uni and driving everywhere, 'working' sitting down at a puter). At school she's active and made of more muscle so her daily cal needs might be 1924 (1166 x 1 [lean body type] x 1.65 [very active, often]). End of college it's 1826 (1303 x 0.95 x 1.475). Post Fresher it might be 1686 (1441 x 0.9 x 1.3). The total difference here is 238 calories per 24 hours (1686 - 1924). It's a small amount, (a mars bar a day) but look again- the younger lower weight version of this girl is the one who has a higher calorie requirement. Makes you think eh...

And it's this body type and activity adjustment that personal trainers and nutritionist are aware of when they advise to loose weight slowly and surely and make lifestyle changes that you can keep up forever. If our Uni girl wants to get back to her post-school shape she need only up her daily activity by two/three hours walking (getting to school and back, walking around school, meeting friends in park) and add in a three higher intensity activities per week like an aerobics class, swim session, and dance lesson (games lesson, PE lesson, swimming lesson, afterschool activity or club) and hey presto, slowly but surely she'd be lighter, leaner, and able to eat more too :D

The changes made by lifestyle adjustments are slow and small- it took a year to gain the stone, so it might take a year to lose it. This might seem discouragingly slow compared to 'diets' but the diet industry must be a scam- if it really worked everyone would be slim and the industry killed by its success. Therefore, the slowly and surely way is the only way. It's the way that works and it's a way you'll stay in shape forever...

ETA:
    You can work out these calcs yourself for your own weight/body type/activity level OR you might like to try:

a free account at fitday

Free exercise resources if you're too skint for classes or swimming (which I recommend for motivation and doing a full amount)

exercise video demonstrations and explanations by body area, with minimal equipment at fitrex

dance exercise video clips from nike

no weight home workout routine about.com
    :eek2:
    Heya Guys,
    Ive recently decided to go on a diet starting from tomorrow.
    And ta give up chocolate 4 2 months!
    But i really want some ideas and advice on the best ways of loosing weight!
    Im gaining ta be a size 10 and 8 & a half stones!
    I also wanna know the best and most effective ways of toning up the following body parts .. tummy, arms, legs and firming up mi bum !

Please give all advice and ideas possibly.

Love *Sweet_Cheeks*

xxxx
    A calorie controlled diet of about 1800.

Low intensity cardio for at least 20 minute sessions 2-3 times a day for a total of an hour.

Resistance training.

As for the actual diet itself lower carb intake past 4pm, supplement with 6g of fish oil, drink green tea & coffee.

And most importantly be patient.

Apart from what people think, loosing body fat is actually really easy as long as your diet is in order.

Good luck. :)
    But the thing is i dont like pies!:lol:

hahahahahaha!

:yeees:
    Start by trying to eat your 5 a day fruit and veg - the proper size portions they are larger than you think its normally one whole bag of salad and you'll be amased by how full up you get. Also don't deny yourself everything as you'll just start craving the things you like instead ration yourself - its OK to eat chocolate its just not OK to eat it every day - instead have it as a once a week treat. Similarly with take away etc.
    First thing I'd do is not make stupid promises that you have no way of ever keeping. You won't give up chocolate for two months, you know you won't, the second you start all you will think about is how you can't have chocolate. You'll eventually crack, and because you've failed something you couldn't succeed at, you will binge eat.

But even if you do succeed, you will need to stay off that food otherwise you will put the weight back on.

The way to lose weight is to eat a little of what you do like, a lot of what is good for you, and do exercise.

I'd also strongly advise against drinking coffee, or other caffeine based drinks.
    is there a way of finding out your 'natural' weight? Because i find mines around 8 stone at the moment and never really goes below that. Theres usually a weight that your body tends to balance around.
    If you try to go below that then you'll have a hard time getting it off, and it won't stay off.