Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

cooking with pasta and rice....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...ok, so ive decided i want to eat more past+rice (mostly pasta) as i seem to recently live off burgers+crisps. Just wondering what kinda things you guys put with these foods, that is simple+quick??
so far ive done pasta with tuna+mayo - YUM. And also put it with a tomato/bolognese sauce thingy.
Any other suggestion?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have a thing about pasta bakes at the mo- pasta quills things, a tomato pasta bake sauce, sausage and bacon bits all together, with melted cheese on top- amazing!
    i like adding sweetcorn to tuna mayo pasta :)

theres some nice sauces about, the stir in ones are so yum :yum: cant remember who makes them though.

rice...you could do egg fried rice? with peas mixed in
    ok,silly question but after cooking the pasta+sausages+bacon, do you just stick it all in a casserole dish+cook it in the oven?
    i dont like sweetcorn. How do u do egg fried rice?
    And yes, for those that havnt figured it out, im a cooking dumbass!
    Pasta bake is easy to make... and yummy!
    ok,silly question but after cooking the pasta+sausages+bacon, do you just stick it all in a casserole dish+cook it in the oven?

all the components are cooked? if your not adding any kind of sauce to it then you may as well just mix it together and eat it....

but if not, add a sauce and just leave it about half hour or whatever the sauce says

to cook egg fried rice, you boil the rice till its cooked, drain it, put in a hot oily pan, then add whisked egg which will all seperate and go into eggy small bits as it cooks. only takes a few minutes
    cheers blah, il try both them!
    For noodles:
    Buy a can of alfredo sauce
    Put some brocolli in a bowl, add a teaspoon of water, cover, stick in the microwave for a bit
    grill some chicken
    add some pepper
    mix
    :yum:
    Pasta bolognaise, it doesn't take too long.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Pasta with a cheese sauce. And then for variations, mix in some bacon and / tomato pieces (I don't because I don't like them but you can) or some cooked chicken pieces and some vegetables like peppers and onions.

Can also do this with a tomato based sauce.

I also do similar things with rice.

Pasta is a wonderful thing to experiment with. My favourite pasta dish is a Maltese one my mum makes. I make it too, but it is always tastier when your mum cooks (generally!) :yes:

For ease, you have dolmio stir in sauces, pasta bakes etc.

What about a lasagne? It has pasta in it?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Or pasta with pesto and mushrooms with some grated cheese. Divine :yum:

Shame the boy dislikes both pesto and mushrooms. We would live on it otherwise.
    Pesto! Pesto, pesto, pesto.

How would I live without thee and pasta?
    Pasta salad is great. It's easy to make and pretty healthy. Splurge loads of olive oil over it (preferably extra virgin) and then sprinkle some black pepper over it.
    whole grain pasta a few veg, drizzle of oil. easy. Neo-something's good too, tuna, tomato, cheese, pasta.
    tuna napolitana. you can get the packet to make the sauce and you just need to add tuna, milk, butter (optional i think) and tomato puree. don't think i missed anything.
    tee he. It was you who told me about napolitana in the first place, in my thread about tuuuuna
    I do pasta bakes by putting the pasta on to cook, while it's boiling I fry up some chicken and bacon bits, then add some mushrooms and onion, then a tin of tomatoes til it's all heated through, add the pasta, chuck it all into a casserole dish, then put some cheese on top and whack it in the oven til the cheese is melted. Sometimes put breadcrumbs on the top as well, or add cheese into the sauce with the tomatoes.

What about lasagne, spag bol, tagliatelle etc to make a change from pasta spirals or whatever.

Stir-in sauces are pretty good, and you can usually get ideas from them for what to do yourself as well.

I live off pasta, I love it. :yum:
    katralla wrote:
    tee he. It was you who told me about napolitana in the first place, in my thread about tuuuuna

:cool:

you can always add things like mushrooms/peas/sweetcorn (:yuck:)/peppers or cheese for a bit of variation!