Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Texting exes

Gah.

I suppose this is a bit of a rant more than anything but I just wanna know if anyone else behaves like me.

Last night I was out with some friends and got incredibly drunk. For some reason though, I started thinking about some of my exes.

I ended up texting one of my exes thanking him for making me realise that there are good guys about and that not all guys are like my ex of three years. My ex of three years made me very unhappy and it took me a while to have the guts to leave him. Shortly after finishing my relationship with this guy, I quickly got into another relationship with this other boy. He was so nice to me and treated me really well. I never understood why as I wasn't used to it and well, I'm glad I met him as its made me realise that I deserve someone to treat me well, etc. Well anyways, I text him this being drunk and also text him saying I wish he still liked me. Gah. I don't like this boy anymore, we are very good friends but we finished in April! I don't understand why I keep texting him shit like this when I'm drunk. I have accepted that me and this boy aren't going to get back together, we are friends and well, I've moved on.

Me and this boy didn't see each other for long. The distance was too much of a strain and to be honest, this is also another reason why I don't want to be with him. I can't do long distance relationships very well.

In May, I started a new job. I met a new guy and in June he asked me out and we dated for about a month. I ended things because I wanted time to myself. I need to concentrate on my degree after fucking up this year and am so busy working so didn't have time for him. It was me that ended things. We have remained good friends. I also ended up texting him last night. Gah. I don't see him anymore than a friend.

At the end of May, I ended up ringing my ex of three years despite cutting all contact with him and hating his guts. I remember what I said and to be honest, it confuses me. I was very very drunk at the time. I remember telling him I still loved him and that I wanted him back. When waking up sober I remembered what I said and I was like gahhhh, what the fuck have I done? I hate this guy, he ruined my life, I don't want him in my life.

I just don't understand my behaviour at all. Why do I act like this when I'm drunk? Why do I think about my exes and think I feel something that isn't there and why do I do it months after we have broken up when we have both completely moved on? Having been in the situation of receiving drunken texts from exes, I know its not nice. I don't know why I'm doing it myself. Its not normal behaviour and I just wish that I understood why I did it. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Gah. Sorry this is long. I just wanted to rant it somewhere and get a few opinions on the matter.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
  • Options
    Could you delete his number possibly? If you're friends then maybe not.
  • Options
    maybe you want some attention and to be liked by them? not meant in a nasty way but you admit that you don't like them in that way but you still txt them saying you like them etc - maybe you just want to hear that they still like you.
  • Options
    Me too, i have woken up regretting so many texts...they always seem like such a great idea at the time. :blush:
  • Options
    delete their numbers.

write them down at home though, if you dont want to lose contact.

Then its impossible to contact them :)
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    delete their numbers.

write them down at home though, if you dont want to lose contact.

Then its impossible to contact them :)

i know my ex's number anyway so it'd be no use if i deleted it!
  • Options
    and maybe consider not taking your phone out when you're drunk?
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Could you delete his number possibly? If you're friends then maybe not.

Not really. We are still good mates and I don't wanna lose him as a mate.
    maybe you want some attention and to be liked by them? not meant in a nasty way but you admit that you don't like them in that way but you still txt them saying you like them etc - maybe you just want to hear that they still like you.

Hmmm, I dunno, maybe thats what it is though. I know for sure one of them doesn't like me anymore though because he has told me and he has moved on as its been months.

I am very insecure, etc but like gahhhh, I've chosen to be single. If I wanted attention, surely I'd just go into a relationship with someone?

Gahhh, I don't know. I don't understand my behaviour at all. It only happens when I'm drunk.

And no ballerina, not taking my phone out isn't an option. I always end up losing some of my friends!!!
  • Options
    being drunk makes you (and most people) think differently maybe your minds thinking "what if...?" and there are no inhibitions there to stop it?
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Not really. We are still good mates and I don't wanna lose him as a mate.

Hmmm, I dunno, maybe thats what it is though. I know for sure one of them doesn't like me anymore though because he has told me and he has moved on as its been months.

I am very insecure, etc but like gahhhh, I've chosen to be single. If I wanted attention, surely I'd just go into a relationship with someone?

Gahhh, I don't know. I don't understand my behaviour at all. It only happens when I'm drunk.

just because you're single doesn't mean you don't want a bit of attention.
  • Options
    just because you're single doesn't mean you don't want a bit of attention.
    Yeah, I know that.

I mean, last night I got male attention and made the most of it but like gahhh, if I was getting male attention why on earth was I texting my exes?
  • Options
    bcause they are familiar ground?? maybe its the fact that for 1 reason or another these relationships didnt work out+when you're drunk you like the feeling of power (maybe?) you could have if you found out they wanted you bk?
    Just a guess, not sure if ive phrased it right tho.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I have done some embarrassing drunken texting in my time, it still makes me cringe to think about it :blush:

lol, im the master of embarrasing drunken txting :p

Stace, you need to stop revolving your whole life around guys and depend on yourself for a change. Rather than thinking that the only way you can be happy is to have attention from the opposite sex you need to take a step back from blokes and start taking control of your own destiny. Dwelling on the past is not doing you any favours and im sure you would be the first to agree with me there. We all go through bad times especially when it comes to relationships but this is how we learn. Dont get me wrong im not saying in any way that what you have been through has been a walk in the park because i know it certainly hasnt but you cant let your past control you. Dont let some bollocksy guys ruin your life otherwise you are letting them win. take life by the bollocks and prove to yourself and everyone else that you can make something of yourself. Ok the point to that ramble was stopping thinking about guys and get on with findingyourself for a while.

Come on girl get some back bone and prove it to me that you can beat this shit, I know you can :D

Also like a lot of people have said on LJ you really shouldnt drink, well at least have a T total break for a while. Think they have given you good advise by saying that so I'ma bit unsure why you have ignored it?

(On a little side note I'm not sure how fair it is to post about people on here even if you haven't posted their name or arent being horrible about them. Not having a go or nothing just wanted to say that as it was bothering me a bit. That's just my opinion but you are totally free to post exactly what you want)
  • Options
    (On a little side note I'm not sure how fair it is to post about people on here even if you haven't posted their name or arent being horrible about them. Not having a go or nothing just wanted to say that as it was bothering me a bit. That's just my opinion but you are totally free to post exactly what you want)

I've spoken to this particular person about this and they are ok with it. I've said nothing wrong about him anyways, only nice stuff! This is about me to be honest, rather than him. If I'm honest, I'm only using that as an example of my behaviour! Are you also saying its unfair to talk about my ex of 3 years on here because he doesn't use these boards anymore (he told me)?

As for everything else you have written, I had friends visiting me for the weekend. It was a one off. I wanted to have a good time with my friends. I am trying to cut it down though.

I am trying to take a step back from blokes hence why I left my last ex and decided to remain single. I realise dwelling on my past is making me unhappy but I just wish I knew how to move on from it all and just get on with life.

I want to be single right now and for quite a while to be honest. I need to concentrate on myself, my degree, etc. I just wish I didn't still crave the male attention. I get lonely and its like gahhhhh. Also, its annoying when like all of your female friends are in relationships and you are the only one single.
  • Options
    first of all, you're drinking waaaayy too much and too often. Give your body a break! Think of your poor liver!
    Secondly, delete their numbers off your phone and keep them at home, or give your phone to a mate when you go out. Texting exes is just like picking off a healing scab. I think you ought to do something like charity work or volunteering, something to help others or whatever so you can feel good about yourself without needing a guy.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    I think you ought to do something like charity work or volunteering, something to help others or whatever so you can feel good about yourself without needing a guy.

that's a good suggestion actually. doing things like that always puts your life into perspective and makes you feel good about yourself
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    first of all, you're drinking waaaayy too much and too often. Give your body a break! Think of your poor liver!

fudge, how do you know this? does stacey tell you every time she goes out and how many units of alcohol she consumes?
  • Options
    Yes, on LJ, which Ballerina reads.
  • Options

well forgive me but this wasn't stated anywhere. ;)
  • Options
    (On a little side note I'm not sure how fair it is to post about people on here even if you haven't posted their name or arent being horrible about them.

If no-one posted about other people then there wouldn't be many threads in relationships...
    Ballerina wrote:
    delete their numbers off your phone and keep them at home

To avoid embarrassing texts to your exes, this is the best solution I think! That way you still have your phone on you for keeping in touch with whoever you're out with, but you won't be able to text anyone you shouldn't be texting :)
  • Options
    :yes:
  • Options
    When me and my ex first split i used to txt him when i was drunk. I really dont know why i did it mind, probably because i still had some feelings for him and was still 'in love' with him..or so i thought.

When im drunk i dont send him random texts, i sometimes send hello ones and how are you's etc, but i dont blurt out that i still love hm and want him back (like i always used to, before getting with the current fella), as i certainly dont. Im happily taken.
  • Options
    Forgive me for my lack of advise... text an ex syndrome going on there Stacey. I used to do this... Think I've stopped now. Too pissed to explain but then again, I didn't get it then and have never been that arsed to analise it since I stopped. That was yesterday Stacey, forget it, pretend to yourself that you'll never do it again and one day- you just won't. Workes for me anyway :D
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    ]forget it, pretend to yourself that you'll never do it again and one day- you just won't. Workes for me anyway :D

YES! This is the truth. If you get the urge to text an ex (or anyone, for that matter) when drunk then not having their number in your phone or not having your phone on you probably isn't going to be much of a barrier. I have a situation with one of my best friends now where she is constantly texting and calling her ex when we're on nights out: she doesn't bring her phone out... ends up getting someone else's under pretenses of calling someone else, or she brings her phone out with the number deleted and spends the rest of the evening wheedling it out of one of his mates. It's really bad craic, but she has to get out of the habit herself. One day, you'll be absolutely fucking pie-eyed and realise you have absolutely NO desire to text, call, see or even hear onemotherfuckingword about any ex -- whether you like them, hate them or are indifferent to them.

I do have to say that getting drunken texts from exes of a weekend evening is pretty annoying for the person on the receiving end. You could always leave your phone at home and arrange a "meeting place" in the club or at one particular pub... in the case of losing one another. Don't let it halt your drinking if you don't want it to though, it's never stopped me ;) I've just naturally gotten out of the habit... I absolutely CRINGE to think of doing it now :)
  • Options
    Umm... people in my life are ex's because I didn't want to be with them. Makes it pretty easy when it comes to texting whilst drunk - much better to text someone you actually care about than attempt to text the past ;).
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I do have to say that getting drunken texts from exes of a weekend evening is pretty annoying for the person on the receiving end

Yeah, I've been on the receiving end before and its not nice so I don't understand why I am doing it to be honest. I always end up regretting it the next morning and 99% of the time I cannot remember actually texting them. It really is cringe worthy.

I just don't know why I keep doing it especially months after we have broken up and I have moved on. I mean, I rang my ex of 3 years a few months back months after not talking to him at all months after we had broken up. I went completely out of my way to ring him. I had deleted his number from my mobile phone but still had it written in a phone book in case I ever needed it. Drunkedly I searched my room for the phone book then rang him. I've now thrown that phone book away! Haha. It was really random and we were on the phone for 3 hours. The next morning remembering what I had done, I was all like urrrgggghhhhhh. I hated this ex yet I was telling him I loved him down the phone? I mean what the fuck?!

I seem to think I love my all my exes when I'm drunk and it sucks.

I've done this for years now. You would have thought I would grow out of it.