Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Linux - K

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what do you know about linux - im prepared to spend the night downloading Linux LiveCD to try it out then might migrate alltogether because i don't like Vista.

any feedback for a first timer would be great. also post your desktops! they look so interesting!

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't know how to reply to "what do you know about it"... My main OS uses linux, so I can't say everything in a post.
    Which live cd are you downloading? Knoppix?

As for a screenshot, there's one. I don't think it says much though.
  • Options
    well anything you could think of that an ignorant first timer would want to know.. let me tell you what i do know. up until tonight i knew linux was open sourced, free and i thought it was purely command line based, like MS-DOS. This was the limits of my knowledge, so what about:

widespread compatibility with hardware and software.
  • Options
    Many companies release official drivers for their hardware and for most that don't there are unofficial ones. Try to find forums about a distro you want to try and look around there for your hardware. Though most hardware is usually supported "out of the box".
  • Options
    The desktop will be either KDE or Gnome. I prefer KDE, but many enjoy Gnome. Both Firefox and Opera are well supported under Linux, as are desktop-specific browsers - Nautilus and Konqueror. Most KDE stuff features a K in the name at some point. AmaroK is pretty much the bestest music player ever. K3b is cracking for burning CDs. NVidia graphics cards are very well supported. Most Soundblaster stuff is pretty well supported. Read up on xorg.conf and 'modeline', as you'll probably run into grief configuring the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor.

Linux is excellent. You'll love it for a few days, then start to get pissed with it as you encounter different problems, and the novelty wears off. If you stick with it, you'll find your way through the problems and the benefits will start to really shine through.

Expect a steep learning curve, and expect to be stumped by the most basic of things. :)
  • Options
    A correction about gnome (which I prefer): Nautilus isn't a web browser, gnome's web browser is Epiphany.
    And what he said about nvidia is correct. But careful if your video card is ATI, I hear it's a hassle to get them to work correctly (if you want 3d acceleration and stuff, the basic driver should work) as they don't support linux OSes.
  • Options
    ^I stand corrected. I've not really used Gnome for a few years now, and quickly forget things :).
  • Options
    Interesting thread, i've also considered migrating from windows to linux, because its open source, and more secure.

I have tried a few linux distributions, and I have to say I particulary like Ubuntu, and Kinnopix, both which can be run as live disks. But there are so many different types of Linux OS, its just a matter of sampling a few before you find the right one.

However, most of the things I use my pc for (web design, games, video editing etc) are noutriously more diffcult to do on linux, so in reality its not a complete replacement for a windows OS.

If all you use your pc for is browsing the web, and simple word processing and stuff, then Linux is a great free alternative. If you really cant stand windows, then I suggest trying an apple. OSX is amazing, but because MAC is very poor for gaming, i have not made the transition.
  • Options
    what do you know about linux - im prepared to spend the night downloading Linux LiveCD to try it out then might migrate alltogether because i don't like Vista.

any feedback for a first timer would be great. also post your desktops! they look so interesting!

I've tried loads of different versions of Linux and never liked any of them, some of those Live CD's make good rescue CD's but for me a personalised copy of Windows XP using Nlite is what works for me.

I think Linux could work well in many offices where PC's do a very basic job, i.e. typing, email, spreadsheets, but then again since DELL is providing PC's with windows for cheaper then most people can provide just the PC for a lot of companies it's not worth the hassle.
  • Options
    knoppix is a good way to get used to how a few things work and look without messing everything up. my old linux is here :-Clicky
    its pretty nice to use and i liked it, i only use windows because i play my games on it.

eta: i HIGHLY reccomend if you have a dvd and a dvd burner, download Suse Linux its nice, incredibly easy to use, and has everything you'll need basically.