Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

An ethical question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
\

Comments

• Options
    Not sure if I count as intelligent and thoughtful, but to me there's two issues. Should you give to charity and the answer seems to me to be yes. It seems if you can afford it you should at least try and give some of your income to those who can't or need extra help, and also perhaps some of your time (though I admit to being less good at that).

But I'm not sure its best to give it direct to someone who's homeless. If you could be sure that they were going to use it to get food or try and get into a hostel, yes, but I'd worry they're just going to use it on drugs and/or drinks. In which case it seems that giving them the money direct is actually just making their problems worse.

Far better to give it to a homeless charity or one dealing with alochol or substance abuse.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    But I'm not sure its best to give it direct to someone who's homeless. If you could be sure that they were going to use it to get food or try and get into a hostel, yes, but I'd worry they're just going to use it on drugs and/or drinks. In which case it seems that giving them the money direct is actually just making their problems worse.

This is what I was thinking. And why I never give tobeggars; only those people wo walk around with the collection tins with the charity name on them.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:

Far better to give it to a homeless charity or one dealing with alochol or substance abuse.

I can see your point, and in large part I agree, but if the person isnt ready to give up their habit you can fund treatment centres all you like and it wont help. They will get the money from somewhere, and that could be more damaging than just begging.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    It's very rare that I walk past a beggar on the street without giving them some money, but I don't think that's necessarily the best way to go about being a more charitable person. That said, I'd much prefer to give my change to a beggar than someone rattling their collection tin in my face - so I suppose that's where the attitudes differ.

As for drink and drugs, well if I'm going to give my money then I would much rather do it with a trusting heart than start giving them the Spanish inquisition over where it will end up. Of course there are serious problems with alcohol and drug abuse on the streets, but they will get the money by other means and that can only ever be worse. After all, some people living on the streets would much, much prefer to have four tins than a sausage roll and a cup of tea (what we often assume they need)... and while that's not ideal, I don't think it's right to assume that because they're on the street we know their needs, what is best for them and what they should be buying with their meagre spoils. There are myriad problems that come with being homeless, I imagine the last thing they need is Mother Theresa piping up with a lecture on the perils of drinking and drug taking. I can completely understand why people wouldn't want to sate someone else's drink or drug cravings [especially if they were on their way to the pub right at that moment to do that exact same thing themselves] but I definitely believe that we should try to give to beggars with no questions asked. On that note, I believe that if we're giving directly into the coffers of a charity then we should give with many, many questions asked.

Oh, and don't flagellate yourself over a £2.50 pint sophia, you do deserve it.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Obviously I know you're right, it just kind of seems a bit suspect thinking of the amount of money we spend on luxuries -- this morning I just spent £32 on a haircut, for example -- when there are people without food or shelter.

But then again, it's hard to know how much we should give, and how many of our luxuries we ought to forgo. My measly 0.3% contribution to charity seems a bit stingy now I think about it, but how much more ought I give? I have no idea...

It's very hard to know how much to give. Life is hard for every one of us, even with a roof over our head and food in the fridge, but of course that pales into comparison when you see homeless people who have nothing. I don't think we should necessarily deprive ourselves to help the deprived, if you see what I mean.

Ideally we would all give every penny that you didn't need to good causes, but the majority aren't wired that way and I don't see it happening, ever. Then you have to think that if everyone gave a little [more] rather than the minority giving a disproportionate amount then we would be in a much happier situation in terms of helping the disadvantaged in this country. But we're naturally far more likely to be tempted into that extra night out than to give the money to a person on the street, it's more fun! You'd be mad to do otherwise! etc. That's not intrinsically a bad thing - after all, some would say, I earned that money so why shouldn't I? - but when you lead a vaguely comfortable financial life it's so hard to see from the over perspective and realise that you don't need to have a coffee on the train etc as you said.

I suppose the ideal is to give what you can to charity and individuals without compromising a secure and pleasant lifestyle for yourself. It is probably a good idea to think about forsaking one little luxury, if it's an issue you contend with. Though as NQA said, giving your time can be just as productive (if not more) and has the added benefit of allowing you to see where your efforts are have effect. Also, it means you can have a few guilt-free (or at least guilt-diminished) pints in the pub afterwards :thumb:
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I can see your point, and in large part I agree, but if the person isnt ready to give up their habit you can fund treatment centres all you like and it wont help. They will get the money from somewhere, and that could be more damaging than just begging.

I think that's true to a certain extent, but perhaps then we do need to be harsher. If people commit crimes to fund habits then they need to be jailed or forced into rehabilitation as an alternative to jail. If you just continue to give them money the problem isn't going to go away and is likely to get worse, almost certainly leading them into crime because eventually begging on its own won't be enough to fund the habit.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Obviously I know you're right, it just kind of seems a bit suspect thinking of the amount of money we spend on luxuries -- this morning I just spent £32 on a haircut, for example -- when there are people without food or shelter.

£32 for a haircut :shocking: I can get mine cut for a fiver :thumb:
    But then again, it's hard to know how much we should give, and how many of our luxuries we ought to forgo. My measly 0.3% contribution to charity seems a bit stingy now I think about it, but how much more ought I give? I have no idea

I've always worked on about 5% of my income (after tax) though that's a rough average and I'm pretty sure I don't always give that much. My grandpa used to give 10% (but that included some to the church and money he gave his children for them to put in the church collection box)
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    This is something I got to thinking about yesterday, and I thought I would be interested to hear what the intelligent and thoughtful P&D folk have to say about it :D

Yesterday evening, me and a friend were walking to the pub when a homeless woman asked us for some spare change. We both apologetically said no, and continued on our way to the pub, where we bought a pint each for £2.50.

As I sat down with it I started to think that maybe there is something slightly immoral or wrong about telling the homeless person I have no spare change, and then proceeding to pay £2.50 for a totally unnecessary drink. I mean, if I had £2.50 going spare, which I did, surely it would have been much better used by her than by me, as it will make a much bigger difference to her than it does to me? Is there not something a bit callous about denying any change to the homeless, and then pissing money away at the pub? Does that then mean we have an obligation to give all our excess cash to those whose need is greater than our own?

Mulling it over with my mate, his opinion was, we deserve this pint, we work hard, we earn our money, why shouldn't we buy ourselves a few luxuries? Plus, he pointed out that I do already make a regular contribution to a charity via standing order (although my pisspoor maths informs me that that amounts to a measly 0.3% of my annual income :o )

This argument is obviously initially appealing, but I'm not sure it quite cuts the mustard, because the facts are, I have spare cash to piss away on crap like CDs, beer, overpriced coffee, cinema tickets, DVDs etc, when there are people without food or shelter -- shouldn't I forgo some of those luxuries in order to help others? And if so, where do I draw the line -- just how many of these things should I sacrifice in order to donate more money? Hmmm.....any thoughts, you clever (and doubtless, exceedingly generous) people?
    well your £2.50 wasn't spare was it?
    If you don't want to give, don't give. Don't feel bad about it. If it makes you feel bad, then give. Or do something for the needy, like volunteering etc.
    If I'm feeling flush and have enough and if they are polite to me then I'll give. If I simply don't have enough or they are rude, then I won't give.
    I shop at a lot of charity shops too. I tend to give more to animals though, as there isn't enough done to help/save them. If it becomes apparent that there has been abuse towards people then something is done about it. If it's animal, people get a slap on the wrist. To me, that hurts a hell of a lot.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Quite often I'll walk past someone homeless, pop in the nearest shop buy a 10 fags and a couple of beers, go back and give it to them. It's just something I picked up from a mate who himself used to be homeless.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I give about 25% of my money to charity. It's called tax, and it pays for hospitals, childrens care, schools, drug rehabilitation schemes, *cough*wars*cough* and many other things. It seems to me that the facilities are there for people who really want to get off the street. They may not be perfect, but if I'm to give money to charity, I'd rather it went to people in areas of the world where they don't have any chance of coming out of poverty. Give your £2.50 to a homeless person over here, and it'll buy them half a pack of cigarettes, a couple of cans of lager or a couple of sandwiches. If Oxfam are anything to go by, in Africa it could feed a whole village for the rest of their lives (okay maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea).
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I give about 25% of my money to charity. It's called tax, and it pays for hospitals, childrens care, schools, drug rehabilitation schemes, *cough*wars*cough* and many other things. It seems to me that the facilities are there for people who really want to get off the street. They may not be perfect, but if I'm to give money to charity, I'd rather it went to people in areas of the world where they don't have any chance of coming out of poverty. Give your £2.50 to a homeless person over here, and it'll buy them half a pack of cigarettes, a couple of cans of lager or a couple of sandwiches. If Oxfam are anything to go by, in Africa it could feed a whole village for the rest of their lives (okay maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea).
    But i always think, if money we give to other countries can go such a long way, how come the poverty never ends? Maybe we should stop selling other countries tanks and weapons!
  • Options
    It's the catch 22 situation though. If everyone gave 5% of their wages to charity rather than spending it locally, then businesses would lose 5% of their profits, and have to cut 5% of their staff, so you can't really win.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    But i always think, if money we give to other countries can go such a long way, how come the poverty never ends?
    Well that's a more complicated issue. Maybe it's got something to do with America and Europe giving their own farmers subsidies so that the African farmers can't compete with them? Or multinational corporations having most of Africa's production in their pocket and completely dependant on them for survival?
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    But i always think, if money we give to other countries can go such a long way, how come the poverty never ends? Maybe we should stop selling other countries tanks and weapons!

A) We dont give that much
    B) A large chunk of it is wasted/stolen
    C) Another large chunk is wasted on stupid civil wars or conflicts
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I wouldn't normally post a link to one of our articles in P&D, but some of you might actually be interested to read our article on helping the homeless. which addresses some of the dilemma's talked about here.

I often used to give 'spare change' to homeless people, but now I'm really torn about it. My gut feeling tells me to do it, but my more sensible self tells me not to.
  • Options
    Well that's a more complicated issue. Maybe it's got something to do with America and Europe giving their own farmers subsidies so that the African farmers can't compete with them?
    we do need to be able to be self suffiecient though, it's vital to our survival in case of war etc.
    to the 2nd part that i forgot to quote, is it africa's leaders that give away their produce etc?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    A) We dont give that much
    B) A large chunk of it is wasted/stolen
    C) Another large chunk is wasted on stupid civil wars or conflicts
    what happens witht he millions made for red nose day etc?
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    we do need to be able to be self suffiecient though, it's vital to our survival in case of war etc.

But even with subsidies as high as they are now we arent anywhere near self sufficient. The CAP fails on every level, its massively costly, bad for farmers and the enviroment and damaging for farmers outside the EU.
  • Options
    It's the catch 22 situation though. If everyone gave 5% of their wages to charity rather than spending it locally, then businesses would lose 5% of their profits, and have to cut 5% of their staff, so you can't really win.

Yes, but the 5% would still be spent somewhere. In my case its likely a fair chunk of it will be given to ex-servicemen on hard times - they then spend the money to businesses and to the RNLI who use the money to buy lifejackets, new boats etc from business.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:

They do help, but its not as simple as just giving more, take Uganda for example, its stable and could have a really good future but its involved in a long running and pointless conflict in the north which dooms thousands of people to poverty and death.

Or Nigeria - makes billions from oil yet because of corruption the people get poorer year on year.

Or Sudan where another civil war makes the plight of the already poor people even worse.

Or EG which is awash with oil yet because of a nasty dictator its people live in poverty.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    But even with subsidies as high as they are now we arent anywhere near self sufficient. The CAP fails on every level, its massively costly, bad for farmers and the enviroment and damaging for farmers outside the EU.
    I didn't realise how damaging it is and I still don't so I shalllook into it. Even if we aren't close to being self sufficient, at least a large chunk of us would survive, no?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

But we're more than self-sufficient. If we needed to feed ourselves and didn't impoirt food, we might have less banna's, coffee etc, but we'd still have more than enough food to feed ourselves.

I'd agree with you on CAP however
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Oxfam claim that for every £1 given to developing countries in aid, £2 is removed from the country through unfair trade rules which favour the large economies, so go figure.

But I don't know too much about this in general, so maybe we should get Bob Geldof in. Something I want to learn more about though.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    And there's also the issue of the massive debts third world countries have to richer nations as well, which seems to cancel out any good the public do, but that too is a very comlicated issue about which I have too little knowledge.

The debts are a side issue largely, do you really trust the Sudanese government to give more money to the poor?

Having said that, some governments who can prove they are taking steps against corruption should have their debts gradually written off.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I think that's true to a certain extent, but perhaps then we do need to be harsher. If people commit crimes to fund habits then they need to be jailed or forced into rehabilitation as an alternative to jail.

Already happening with DTTO's (now DRR's), DIP, ROB etc. Although its debateable how effective forced treatment is.
    NQA wrote:
    If you just continue to give them money the problem isn't going to go away and is likely to get worse, almost certainly leading them into crime because eventually begging on its own won't be enough to fund the habit.

Actually I'd argue that not giving money will lead to more crime. If you need a score and you can't beg up the money, you still need to get it from somewhere.
    Intevening at a criminal justice level isn't going to make the problem go away either. While some people feel the need to take drugs to escape the misery of their lives, the problem ain't going anywhere.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Already happening with DTTO's (now DRR's), DIP, ROB etc. Although its debateable how effective forced treatment is.

As you have more knowledge on this than I do I'll bow to your expertise.
    Actually I'd argue that not giving money will lead to more crime. If you need a score and you can't beg up the money, you still need to get it from somewhere.

But begging in itself can feel threatening, especially if you're a woman or an elderly person. Now I'm not saying all begging is threatening or everyone feels threatened by it, but many do and fear of crime can be as bad, if not worse, than actual crime. And all it does is make the problem worse, by giving to beggars the problem doesn't go away. At least by trying to fund shelters, substance abuse charities there is a chance you can actually provide long-term help, rather than short-term help, but causing a longer term problem.

Intevening at a criminal justice level isn't going to make the problem go away either. While some people feel the need to take drugs to escape the misery of their lives, the problem ain't going anywhere

i'd agree to a certain extent. There will always be drug and alcohol problems and throwing people in jail for a bit and then letting them out with no support/help just makes the problem worse. what is needed is a system that can help people without the need for them to be jailed,l but as a back-up the threat of jail as an incentive to people to do something to help themselves (albeit with help from professionals).

but at the end of the day only so much can be done unless people are themselves willing to try and set themselves straight (and I'm aware that in reality this may not be as easy as waking up in the morning and saying 'hey I'm going to stop drinking alcohol today'), but if you can get easy fixes there's even less of an incentive to give up.

Whats the answer in the real world? fucked if I know