Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

One year on...

Has much changed? Certainly the Tubes and buses dont seem any less full and London seems very similar to before. I personally think the shooting at Stockwell was more shocking than the bombings, it certainly seemed to stun my friends more.

Do you think anything has changed for the better or worse?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nope, my baby who got sucked out of my ex a year ago today is still dead... And I have lost an other one this year... So pretty much the same shit...

After politicaly wise I don't think much have change either, expect maybe a bit more pressure between no-muslim and muslim... Maybe a bit more racism have grown since then...
  • Options
    no nothing has changed on the ground, proving that terrorism is a very minor threat and won't stop us living our lives.......the only people doing that are the government, what they have changed is our liberties, all the dodgy half-baked legislation that's been passed through parliament this year has done more damage than terrorism could ever do........can't even protest outside parliament anymore ffs, these guys think they're untouchable....
  • Options
    Well the liberals claiming that the government was hysterical about a UK threat from terrorism have now been proven wrong. The Liberals would probably say the government created these attacks or something completely dumb like that. :confused:

Anyway... There is a threat from terrorism. It's home grown. Start the intergration process. Sort of the whole immigration and asylum system - has not been achieved - could be letting anyone in and YES one may be a terrorist, who knows? This is NOT racist, it's reality.

Muslims need to get the message across a lot more about their religion being peaceful etc as the current wave of attacks proves the latter.

Plus these attacks were not done because we went to war with Iraq. They may have increased the anger but they were not the cause. The whole ideology is evil, all countries have been affected some what and all countries certainly didn't engage in the Iraq war. Plus there is NO justification for these attacks. They are simplely pure evil. World unite and combat this evil.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Well the liberals claiming that the government was hysterical about a UK threat from terrorism have now been proven wrong. The Liberals would probably say the government created these attacks or something completely dumb like that. :confused: .

What liberals? Who are they? Where?
    luke88 wrote:
    Anyway... There is a threat from terrorism. It's home grown. Start the intergration process. Sort of the whole immigration and asylum system - has not been achieved - could be letting anyone in and YES one may be a terrorist, who knows? This is NOT racist, it's reality.

Start the integration process? How? Force people not to be Muslim?

luke88 wrote:
    They are simplely pure evil. World unite and combat this evil.

Pure evil? So we shouldn't try to understand the causes at all, its just Satans work and thats that?
  • Options
    One year on my thoughts are with the 52 people brutally murdered. Tbh I find it a tad offensive, trivialising 7/7, to say the shooting was more 'shocking' implying the awful terrorist attacks were somehow insignificant.

One year on the risk we face from extremist Muslim terrorists is just as great, if not even greater. Peter Clarke of the Metropolitan Police's Anti-Terrorism Branch said last week that no fewer than 70 further terrorist plots are currently under investigation. As the former Guardian writer Melanie Philips said "the mortal threat to Britain from Islamist terror appears to have increased many times over." Unfortunately I think she might be right.

It's well known that the majority of Muslims oppose terrorism but it's unfortunately also been established that among Britain's 1.6 million Muslims between 7% and 16% think suicide bombs on British targets are justifiable. A few polls really confirm what has been known for a long time, while most Muslims are on our side there is a minority who aren't - and this minority is huge encompassing hundreds of thousands of Muslims.

But while there is some legitimate criticism to be made of President Bush, the police and the security services much of the left is silent on the terrorist threat and the danger of extremist Islam and instead devotes its time to bashing Bush, Christians (who er interestingly don't blow people up on the train) and the police and our security services. If 7/7 didn't wake the left up to the terrorist threat - and for the most part it didn't I hate to think what would.
  • Options
    Tbh I find it a tad offensive trivialise 7/7, saying the shooting was more 'shocking' implying the awful terrorist attacks were somehow insignificant.

I'm giving my view, I found the shooting more shocking. If you assume that because I say that I think the 7th July was 'insignificant' that's purely your judgement and not mine.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    What liberals? Who are they? Where?
    Those who have yet to realise there is a major threat from terrorism.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Start the integration process? How? Force people not to be Muslim?

No that is racist. Intergration process such as having signs in English only, more emphasis on history lessons, imo get rid of multiculturalism, ghettos and very unhealthy - that sort of stuff.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Pure evil? So we shouldn't try to understand the causes at all, its just Satans work and thats that?
    Blowing innocents up on a bus for no reason is evil in my opinion. There is no just cause, it's evil.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'm giving my view, I found the shooting more shocking. If you assume that because I say that I think the 7th July was 'insignificant' that's purely your judgement and not mine.
    I find that very hard to believe.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    I find that very hard to believe.

What? So, on the basis that you dont know me at all, that I've said all of about 100 words in this thread you are making a judgement on my opinions and my judgements about the 7th of July? On what basis?

Niether you or Disillusioned really have the faintest idea how I feel about July the 7th at all. I dont remember having a conversation with either of you about it on the day or in the previous year. So I'd be grateful if you could keep your pathetic assumptions to yourself.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    No that is racist. Intergration process such as having signs in English only, more emphasis on history lessons, imo get rid of multiculturalism, ghettos and very unhealthy - that sort of stuff.

Get rid of multiculturalism? So we all have to be Christian and eat only English food (what ever that is).

You cant get rid of multiculturalism because there is no single culture.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    What? So, on the basis that you dont know me at all, that I've said all of about 100 words in this thread you are making a judgement on my opinions and my judgements about the 7th of July? On what basis?

Niether you or Disillusioned really have the faintest idea how I feel about July the 7th at all. I dont remember having a conversation with either of you about it on the day or in the previous year. So I'd be grateful if you could keep your pathetic assumptions to yourself.
    I, persoanlyl, find it shocking that anyone could suggest 7/7 was less shocking than the shooting. The shooting was an accident and is what happens during times like this. nothing is perfect.

7/7 was a deliberate attack on the west which was the actions of a world wide terrorist group.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Get rid of multiculturalism? So we all have to be Christian and eat only English food (what ever that is).

You cant get rid of multiculturalism because there is no single culture.
    No, I prefer secularism thank you. Eat only English food? A bit extreme eh???

There is a British culture in Britain, and you may ask what that is... who knows these days when every other culture is recognised apart from ours!
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    I, persoanlyl, find it shocking that anyone could suggest 7/7 was less shocking than the shooting. The shooting was an accident and is what happens during times like this. nothing is perfect.

7/7 was a deliberate attack on the west which was the actions of a world wide terrorist group.

But we've had bombings before, we've had terrorism in one form or another for 100 years or more. This was an extreme version certainly, but it wasn't something all that new or all that unexpected.

The shooting of an innocent man dead with no warning by the Police was new, was shocking and was unexpected.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    There is a British culture in Britain, and you may ask what that is... who knows these days when every other culture is recognised apart from ours!

So you want us all to partake in 'british culture' but you're not really sure what that is?

I celebrated 4th of July with friends, was that a bad thing?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Intergration process such as having signs in English only, more emphasis on history lessons, imo get rid of multiculturalism, ghettos and very unhealthy - that sort of stuff.

:confused: get rid of multiculturalism and ghettos?? do you actually know wtf you're talking about luke? I do wonder........tbh I'm more worried about global warming than terrorism (no really), and I live in the heart of london, you need to get a grip man.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    But we've had bombings before, we've had terrorism in one form or another for 100 years or more. This was an extreme version certainly, but it wasn't something all that new or all that unexpected.

The shooting of an innocent man dead with no warning by the Police was new, was shocking and was unexpected.
    The new terrorist threat is is new and shocking. This new terrorists threat is different from the like sof the IRA since it's world wide and they've pretty much targeted every country is one shape or form. It's the most major threat we have ever encoutered. Everyday the police are discovering more places where terrorists attacks could have been carried out.

The shooting was shocking but then again, the police have a job, they need to protet us. It is so hard in this day in age. I wouldn't like to be in their position so I will not be as quick to criticse them. They have my 110% support.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So you want us all to partake in 'british culture' but you're not really sure what that is?

I celebrated 4th of July with friends, was that a bad thing?
    I never said that cel;ebrating you're own culture is anything bad. But the emphasis should be put on the own national holiday such as St georges day.
  • Options
    :confused: get rid of multiculturalism and ghettos?? do you actually know wtf you're talking about luke? I do wonder........tbh I'm more worried about global warming than terrorism (no really), and I live in the heart of london, you need to get a grip man.
    So what? I'm more worried about terrorism but does that make me wrong? No It doesn't.
    We all have our worries and terrorism is a worry to me.

Multicultralism seems to put every other culture first apart from ours and i hate that. Ghettos where masses of a certain group hide out and don't intergrate.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    The new terrorist threat is is new and shocking. This new terrorists threat is different from the like sof the IRA since it's world wide and they've pretty much targeted every country is one shape or form. It's the most major threat we have ever encoutered. Everyday the police are discovering more places where terrorists attacks could have been carried out.

The shooting was shocking but then again, the police have a job, they need to protet us. It is so hard in this day in age. I wouldn't like to be in their position so I will not be as quick to criticse them. They have my 110% support.

Why is it different? Really, they are terrorists who because we dont agree want to kill us, similar bombs, different reason.

I criticise them because based on a dodgy identification they shot someone dead, then police officers changed the log book after the event to cover their mistakes.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Why is it different? Really, they are terrorists who because we dont agree want to kill us, similar bombs, different reason.
    It is different because it's world wide, the IRA was never world-wide, it has links abroad but never world wide terrorism. This threat has taken place in most countires. there are local organisations of it in most countries too.

This current threat is by far the worse we've ever had.
    bongbudda wrote:
    I criticise them because based on a dodgy identification they shot someone dead, then police officers changed the log book after the event to cover their mistakes.
    Like I said, there will be mistakes, but rather the police deal with it than me. They have my support.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    It is different because it's world wide, the IRA was never world-wide, it has links abroad but never world wide terrorism. This threat has taken place in most countires. there are local organisations of it in most countries too.

This current threat is by far the worse we've ever had.

You keep saying that, but why? What is the actual difference?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    You keep saying that, but why? What is the actual difference?
    That is is global - that is why!
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    That is is global - that is why!

Leaving aside the very dubious links between various disperate terrorist groups around the World, what actual difference does that make to us here?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Leaving aside the very dubious links between various disperate terrorist groups around the World, what actual difference does that make to us here?
    the fact that it's global means that anyone is at risk from attack.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    The new terrorist threat is is new
    Genius.:p

Just a bit of perspective as to how big a problem terrorism is. 52 people died on 7/7. Over 3000 people die every year in traffic accidents. Of course they are less shocking because they are accidents, but our liberties aren't being removed to save their lives, are they? A life is a life after all. In fact more people die in the UK in traffic accidents per year, than died in the World Trade Centre attack. However, far more died as a result of the knee-jerk reactions of various governments.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    the fact that it's global means that anyone is at risk from attack.

Except of course its not, but even saying it is, what actual difference does that make to us here?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    , get rid of multiculturalism
    What do you actually think 'multiculturalism' means?
    ghettos
    Are they ghettos in the UK? News to me...
  • Options
    I don't think much has changed. The bombers may have killed people but they didn't make people afraid of using public transport.

Their threats that 7/7 was only the beginning seem pretty empty.
  • Options
    Luke thinks he isnt being racist by thinking its ok to force muslims into a single "acceptable" white european culture