Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

PHOBIAS- especially weird ones!???!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I dunno if there has been a thread like this one before but i was wondering what phobais do people have- especially weird ones- and how have they coped or not coped lol!!
I am arachnaphobic (fear of spiders) i don't mind tiny spiders but medium and large spiders i just jump and get away from it!! I been to a country called the Philippines and they had jumping spiders there- scary!! Once where i was staying, there was this HUGE spider that could move super fast across the room towards me i just had to get to the other side of the room to get out- really scary

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    *pointing to Anything Goes board*

On topic I love spiders... Don't have much phobias, not even sure Ihave one, maybe the phobia of government and politicians...
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Not entirely sure if it's a phobia or just great fear, but I'm what I call glitchophobic. If I'm playing a game and get a glitch (especially if it's a graphical one) I get freaked out big time. Usually I just turn it off before I know I did and can't touch anything for a few minutes.
    Once two friends were talking about glitches, and I was finding it hard to not freak out. I closed my eyes and sat with my back against a wall, trying to breath slowly. One of them thought something had happened to me and touched my arm to ask if I was ok. The moment he touched me I screamed.
    Don't confuse being scared of something with an actual phobia. I don't have any phobias. I used to have social phobia but thats mostly under control.

I'm scared of spiders too. When I see one, my boyfriend will get rid of it, but then he likes to take an empty piece of toilet paper, tell me the spider is still in it and chase me into a corner and throw it at me. Bitch :\

Hehe, the glitch one, Indrid, thats like a cool fear :p
    my_name - your boyfriend sounds lovely!
    my_name wrote:
    Hehe, the glitch one, Indrid, thats like a cool fear :p
    I suppose... though as you can see, it can get very embarassing. :blush:
    And there are many cool games that I can't play anymore because I got a glitch in them... :(
    I'm scared of slugs, mice/rats and frogs.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Spiders and wasps for me.
    I've got a phobia of vomiting. Not so great on a night on the lash with mates.. If they vom up I have to walk away which makes me look like sucha bitch.
    I hate to see vomiting too, its just so icky and nasty! Not keen on doing it myself either! Not sure if i have any phobias myself though, i probably do and cant think of them.

My girlfriends main phobia, is that she has a cronic fear of Cliff Richard!
    I have a big phobia of spiders, and most creepy crawlies in general.

It would be funny if a man had Ithyphallophobia.The fear of seeing, thinking about or having an erect penis. :lol: How would he cope with morning wood?!

eta: needles! ive got a big fear of needles.
    Spiders, daddy long legs, heights.
    Rachael wrote:
    I've got a phobia of vomiting.

Me too. I'm a LOT better than I used to be though.

I also have a phobia of people who say they have a phobia to mean they really don't like something, or they're just a bit scared of it. :grump:
    If I'm high up and there's nothing to stop me falling off. I also hate not having full control of what my feet are doing. So I hate rollerskating. And ice skating. And being picked up by anyone other than the boy (and I don't like it when he does it and I'm not expecting it).
    rachie004 wrote:
    I'm scared of flying
    :chin:
    \
    sophia wrote:
    I'm scared of people in silly costumes like dressed up as animals etc, particularly if their head is covered up by it. If the head on the costume is really big, then it's even worse. Disneyland would be torture for me, all those people dressed up as mice!

I think it's basically to do with being scared that they can see my face but I can't see theirs. I don't like not being able to se someone's eyes and face, so they can be looking at you and you don't know it. It started when I was really small, being taken to a zoo or something and there were people dressed up in dog suits and stuff and I hated it, and I've carried it on into adulthood. If I see someone dressed up like that now, I have to cross over the street to get away from them.

I can definitely understand that. I'm a bit weird about people in masks, though to say I'm scared is probably a bit of an exaggeration.

Jellyfish are my only other fear. My ex was deathly afraid of moths which I never really understood... I don't like 'em, but they don't particularly bother me. I'll never forget sitting in the kitchen first year of Uni and hearing his SCREAMS because a moth had flown into the toilet while he was sitting on the can :lol: Though to be fair it was more like a fucking massive bat than any moth I'd seen before or since...
    When I was a little kid I have a morbid fear of bubbles. They just terrified me, I used to panic in the bath and they touched me I'd scream. Bath time wasn't very fun :( Just scared senseless of them.

Nowadays needles. I can't even look at them, go near them. I faint whenever I've had them.

My friend has a phobia of polystyrene.
    sophia wrote:
    I'm scared of people in silly costumes like dressed up as animals etc, particularly if their head is covered up by it. If the head on the costume is really big, then it's even worse. Disneyland would be torture for me, all those people dressed up as mice!

Probably best to avoid watching the end of the Wicker Man...

On a side note don't forget our article on some very uncommon phobias as well as our general advice on dealing with phobias.
    briggi wrote:
    I can definitely understand that. I'm a bit weird about people in masks, though to say I'm scared is probably a bit of an exaggeration.

Jellyfish are my only other fear. My ex was deathly afraid of moths which I never really understood... I don't like 'em, but they don't particularly bother me. I'll never forget sitting in the kitchen first year of Uni and hearing his SCREAMS because a moth had flown into the toilet while he was sitting on the can :lol: Though to be fair it was more like a fucking massive bat than any moth I'd seen before or since...

I am fucking TERRIFIED of moths. They scare the bloody shit outta me, no matter the size, but the big ones... oh god. I would cry.

At year 10 camp, there were at least 3 giant ones in each toilet. I was considering peeing in the sink, if there werent a million there too *shudder*

They freak me out.

Medium - big sized spiders freak me out too. Little ones I can deal with, and I dont see why people scream and run around about a little one, but there was a time I wouldnt even touch a picture of one :yuck:

I think most flying insects freak me out - cept Bee's. Wasps, yes, bee's - not really.

I also have a fear of heights/falling
    Rachael wrote:
    I've got a phobia of vomiting. Not so great on a night on the lash with mates.. If they vom up I have to walk away which makes me look like sucha bitch.
    me too, annoying cause it's a part of life you can't really avoid
    i remember some face your fear show where they used to shut people in a chamber with something they feared. I remember seeing a guy who was afraid of oranges.
    I have an irrational fear of Spiders. Of ALL sizes. I can't be in the same room as one no matter how small it is.

My bedroom window is surrounded by Ivy which, in the summer months, makes my life a living hell. I had to get my mum out of bed the other day at 3 in the morning because there was a spider in my room. (I'm itching now as I think about it!). It fell underneath my bed and I couldn't sleep in my bed that night, even though mum had killed it. To me, it's totally irrational, but I can't help it.

I'm hysterical usually if there's a spide near me, and I freeze - I physically can't move and then I hyperventilate.
    Wish I wasn't so phobic. :no:
    \
    I had hypnotherapy for social anxiety a couple of years ago and after spending about £300, I figured it didn't actually work for me :rolleyes: :lol:
    subject13 wrote:
    My girlfriends main phobia, is that she has a cronic fear of Cliff Richard!
    :lol:

Got a fear of low ceilings, dark, and having my arms in sleeping bags freaks me out coz i feel tied up and unable to escape! weird..
    \
    rachie004 wrote:
    seriously :yes:
    Then... how do you do it everyday?
    I suppose... though as you can see, it can get very embarassing. :blush:
    And there are many cool games that I can't play anymore because I got a glitch in them... :(

Freaky. Do you ever think there might be a glitch in our world? Have you seen the thirteenth floor? I watched it last night and couldn't sleep, eventually crawling into my daughter's bed (who was in my bed) "cos she must be real" and then sleeping through my alarm this morning. The matrix freaked me out for a while too, and glutton for punishment that I must be, I'm hoping Dark City arrives next week for more nightmare-ish fun...
    katralla wrote:
    Freaky. Do you ever think there might be a glitch in our world? Have you seen the thirteenth floor? I watched it last night and couldn't sleep, eventually crawling into my daughter's bed (who was in my bed) "cos she must be real" and then sleeping through my alarm this morning. The matrix freaked me out for a while too, and glutton for punishment that I must be, I'm hoping Dark City arrives next week for more nightmare-ish fun...
    I've seen the 13th floor, not the matrix though... And I've seen something that could be described as "a glitch in the real world". It wasn't a "graphical" one though, so it didn't freak me out much... Just confused me.
    to the original poster...i'd hardly say a fear of spiders was particularly 'weird'.

anyway..i HATE moths and anything that can fly e.g. flies! especially big fat ones. i'm not very keen on spiders but my fear has sort of lessened a bit.

most of all i hate wasps.
    Fast glass lifts terrify me too the Baltic Arts Centre and Monument Mall both in Newcastle have them and I just can't use them.