Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

We're out!

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Addict wrote:
    Nah, he's only referring to ABU's and certain bitters. People with perspective can see Ronaldo as a great player and can admire him for his football. He's a fantastic player to have in the league. And he's by no means the biggest cheat, not by a country mile.
    Yeah, I'm entirely happy for him to stay at Man Utd. Have you seen his assist and goal record since he came to the Premiership? It's absolutely shocking. I don't mind them having a show pony with no end product to be honest.;)
    Yeah, I'm entirely happy for him to stay at Man Utd. Have you seen his assist and goal record since he came to the Premiership? It's absolutely shocking. I don't mind them having a show pony with no end product to be honest.;)

Yea, he was only the most productive winger in the premiership last season, when you take into account stats on goals and assists.

But if you want to ignore facts, and listen to the dung the bitters like to spread about him, go ahead. ;)

The amount of times I hear that old 'end product' chestnut is hilarious.
    To start with I very much doubt Ronaldo will be playing for the scum next year for a couple of reasons, the first being he doesn't even want to, the second being that Rooneys gonna kill him and I reckon I know which one Fergie will let go. All the scum fans sticking up for him being a cheating charver scumbag when he doesn't even want to play for you anyway.

Whoever says Rooney needs to learn/he deserved to go etc. are talking pure and utter bullshit and that is an understatement. If he'd have gone down after the first challenge (like Ronaldo would have) he would have gained a foul, but no he takes another hit and stays up, gets some legs wrapped around his and still trys to stay on his feet and he in no way meant to stamp on that guys balls, he was stumbling back cos he had a pair of cheating legs wrapped around his.

As for the rest of the portugeese, there was no end of diving and play-acting throughout the game and the referee fell for it every time, he was made to look a cunt by the portugal players.

Why did carragher have to re-take his spot kick?? I haven't read a reason for this yet, until I do and I agree with it then this another cheating fuck up by the argentinian cunt of a ref.

We played the best we've played all tournament and I believe we dominated the majority of the 120mins, even when we went down to 10 men. We had quite a few half chances that could have gone in and the Portugeese did very little. The better team did not win this game.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    As for the rest of the portugeese, there was no end of diving and play-acting throughout the game

Throughot the tournament so far. Did you watch them play the Dutch?
    Weekender Offender 
    Addict wrote:
    Yea, he was only the most productive winger in the premiership last season, when you take into account stats on goals and assists.
    Compared to who. In the Premiership, Giggs had more assists as did Boa Morte, Pedersen, Milner, Reyes........bearing in mind he has the best goal poacher in the Premiership in the box.

Actually, he did do better last season than I thought with 9 goals and 6 assists (Far from "the most productive winger in the Premiership"). But his first two seasons, 4 goals and 4 assists, and 5 goals and 2 assists respectively, are why he's got the reputation of delivering no end product.
    Skive wrote:
    Throughot the tournament so far. Did you watch them play the Dutch?
    I unfortunately missed that one, probably glad aswell because no matter whos playing and who I'm supporting I can't stand watching little pussy boys play-acting and feigning injury, it makes me sick when I see English players do it (but compared to the rest of the world this is a very rare occurence).

I'm glad Rooney isn't the diving type the majority of the time, but I wish he'd have fallen over after the first challenge. The ref should have still blown up, I think the ref thought a foul was falling over and rolling 8million times, he didn't think you could be fouled and stay on your feet. Cheating Argie fuck who was still gutted from Argies getting knocked out night before and thought he'd take it out on England.

Why did carragher have to re-take his spot kick?? I haven't read a reason for this yet, until I do and I agree with it then this another cheating fuck up by the argentinian cunt of a ref.

Cara took the penalty before the ref blew his whistle
    The ref had blown his whistle, but Ricardo whinged.

For all Ronaldo's step-overs, he didn't get a kick out of Hargreaves, Neville and Cole. Which is why, as always, he resorted to cheating.

Quarter Finals is a good result for England, I don't see why people see it as a failure. In the last two tournaments we have been knocked out by the runners-up and the champions, and we've only been beaten on the field once. Brazil out played us, but where's the shame in that?

England fans expect far far too much IMHO. England have only ever won one quarter final on foreign soil, and that was against the mighty Cameroon. England had a great chance to win the Cup, but so did seven of the eight quarter finalists.
    migpilot wrote:
    Cara took the penalty before the ref blew his whistle
    Well if thats true then its a fair decision.
    Kermit wrote:
    England fans expect far far too much IMHO.
    :yes:
    i had a gut feeling that we'd be out at the quarters. I heard portugal play dirty anyway....plus alot of our players were missing.
    Ballerina wrote:
    ....plus alot of our players were missing.
    Like who?
    Kermit wrote:
    Quarter Finals is a good result for England, I don't see why people see it as a failure. In the last two tournaments we have been knocked out by the runners-up and the champions, and we've only been beaten on the field once. Brazil out played us, but where's the shame in that?
    I don't see why we shouldn't expect more. The same result for three tournaments in a row isn't progress. And when you look at the England squad, you see about five or six positions where you could say "he's one of the best in the world in that role." That should be enough to expect more than the quarter finals after five years to build your team. It's not just that, though, it's the fact that we've constantly been knocked out by the first half-decent team we've faced in a competitive match. Based on our team, I think the quarter finals was a fairly decent run, but based on the players we have, it's nowhere near good enough.
    Like who?
    well owen was out anyway, and didn't beckham get sent off injured and rooney got sent off for kicking one of the spanish players? 3 usual players down.
    i only saw the shootout but thats what i heard.
    I didnt actually c the match :( i was at work.....however during the penalties the fuckers had to go hungry without their posh food for a couple of minutes cos we was all listening to it on the radio in the kitchens lol......

anyway................bitterly dissapointed we're out, i hate loosing football.....and a sad its over anyway cos i love the excitement and the fact everyone is united in supporting england.
    Compared to who. In the Premiership, Giggs had more assists as did Boa Morte, Pedersen, Milner, Reyes........bearing in mind he has the best goal poacher in the Premiership in the box.

Actually, he did do better last season than I thought with 9 goals and 6 assists (Far from "the most productive winger in the Premiership"). But his first two seasons, 4 goals and 4 assists, and 5 goals and 2 assists respectively, are why he's got the reputation of delivering no end product.

Nah, he was the best winger winger in the premiership. I take my shit from skysports and opta-stats, not dave down the pub. He was easily our best player in the second half of the season, and won 3 player of the month awards. I watched every game, he was usually outstanding. You can't really argue with that unless you're stupid. Considering his age as well, he's younger than me ffs. Ronaldinho was shite at PSG when he was Ronaldo's age. He used to get all the same abuse thrown at him. I suppose that's why it's water off a duck's back for Ronaldo.

His first two seasons he was shite. Fantastic player and you could see the potential, but not delivering. But fuck it, he was young, and we're not Chelsea cunts who'll ship a player out if they so much as have one shite game. Everyone who's not a no-brained biased cunt could see Ronaldo as a truly excellent young player. Yea, he may be gone next season, but he's lit up the premiership while he's been there, and I think it'll be a shame when he leaves.
    I don't see why we shouldn't expect more. The same result for three tournaments in a row isn't progress. And when you look at the England squad, you see about five or six positions where you could say "he's one of the best in the world in that role." That should be enough to expect more than the quarter finals after five years to build your team. It's not just that, though, it's the fact that we've constantly been knocked out by the first half-decent team we've faced in a competitive match. Based on our team, I think the quarter finals was a fairly decent run, but based on the players we have, it's nowhere near good enough.

What an absolutely ridiculous attitude.

I hate to break this to you, but England do not have a monopoly on top players.

The last eight in a World Cup is a major achievement- sure, it could be higher, but we stayed in the tournament longer than Spain and Holland, and matched the achievements of Brazil and Argentina.

I also don't remember being knocked out by Argentina in 2002.

England have a team which is among the ten best in the world. We are not the best. It's about time people realised that, and its about time people realised that winning knockout competitions is about mental nerve, and a wee bit of luck when you need it. It's about your players not stamping on the knackers of their opponents, for starters.

If you get to the last 8 of a tournament you can consider it a success. Getting to the last 4 is a much bigger success, and winning it is fantastic.

England have only ever won two World Cup quarter finals- one was at home, and one was against Cameroon. Does that not tell you that expectations are somewhat higher than what is in reality achievable?

What England fans forget is that whilst England can win the World Cup, so can six other teams. What England fans forget is that whilst our team improves, so does everybody else's, and just standing still is real progress.

Too many England fans live in cloud cuckoo land. That's why being England manager is such a shit job.
    Addict wrote:
    Nah, he was the best winger winger in the premiership. I take my shit from skysports and opta-stats, not dave down the pub.
    Well then you must have the same stats as me then, because mine are off the official Premier League website. I'm not saying he's not among the best wingers in the Premiership, but don't argue stats when you don't have any to back up your statements. You claimed he was the most productive winger last season based on assists and goals. You were wrong.
    GoodFella wrote:
    Im sorry but have they misunderstood the meaning of the word success or what?

I don't know. 68% wins in competitive matches is better than anyone else...
    I don't know. 68% wins in competitive matches is better than anyone else...

Hmmm when you put it that way ... but still i haven't seen any real progression in the team. Not reaching our potential, no way!
    Very few teams do reach their potential.

If you think about it, at best it's one every four years!

England have been a top 8 world side in the past two world cups and the same for Euro championships. That's about right.

If you really want to think about what Sven achieved just think of two games against Germany in 2001... I will always thank him for 1st September that year.
    You should thank Gerrard Houllier for that, not Sven! ;)
    England have been a top 8 world side in the past two world cups and the same for Euro championships. That's about right.
    Hmm, reaching the quarter finals doesn't necessarily mean you're top 8 in the world. Who did we beat to get to that status this year? The problem I have is that whilst I could accept that we met a fantastic team and got knocked out, or had a close match with our opponents, and were unlucky to go out, I cannot accept us going out because we played poorly time and time again. Which is what happened this year, and against Brazil in 2002 (yeah, it's Brazil, but down to ten men without their best player, it should've taken a heroic effort from them to hold onto their lead - it didn't).

No we don't have the monopoly on top players, as Kermit said, but we have the players to be competitive with the top teams in the world, and expect to win roughly half the time (well a third if you include draws, but we should win half of our penalty shootouts as well). We've been knocked out of the last two world cups under Eriksson because we haven't played well enough to beat teams that aren't as good as us (I would argue that Brazil with ten men for a large portion of the match aren't as good as a full-strength England, and neither is a Portugal with two key players missing).

And as for the the 68% wins in competitive matches, well let's make one of the top four clubs in the Premiership play teams between the Premiership and League 2 in competitive matches, and see what sort of win rate they get, because that's what it's the equivilant to.

But it's mainly about how we're playing. Our team is made up of players that the three richest clubs in the world, along with other top clubs, consider key parts of their starting elevens. As is Italy, as is Brazil, as is France etc, etc. Considering that status, when was the last notable performance (not result, performance. Well actually result too, now you mention it) that you saw from England? A world class manager should be able to make our team perform at least as well as Italy, France, maybe not Brazil on their day, but certainly other top teams in the world. We have players of a similar ability to these teams, yet under Eriksson, we we're always playing a few levels below these teams, which showed whenever we met any of them in competition.
    zooby wrote:
    yasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss hahahahahahahahahaha!

Britain is now relying on a SCOT to win a major trophy this year!! haha doesnt get any better!

Mon Andy Murray!!

You seem to have shut up, I can't think why?
    Hmm, reaching the quarter finals doesn't necessarily mean you're top 8 in the world. Who did we beat to get to that status this year?

Does it matter.

If you subscribe to the idea that the best team always wins the World Cup then you subscribe to the idea that the best eight teams get to the semis.

And whilst we didn't have to play a top team until the quarters, that is because we got the job done. That is what the seeding system is about. Sven did what he had to do to ensure we DIDN'T have to play a top team.
    Which is what happened this year, and against Brazil in 2002 (yeah, it's Brazil, but down to ten men without their best player, it should've taken a heroic effort from them to hold onto their lead - it didn't).

It did take effort for them to hold onto the lead. They lost Ronaldinho, and then just passed the ball for 35 minutes. You can't score without the ball, and Brazil proved that. They stopped us playing, and they were deserved winners.

It's not bad play to be beaten by a better side in conditions favourable to them not you. Portugal also didn't beat us on the field, either time. Don't forget that.

I'm not sure what your last point is- Eriksson's three qualifying campaigns have resulted in three top spots, job done. We've had one or two bad performances along the way, but all the top teams do- Italy lost to Wales not so very long ago too, don't forget.

Under Eriksson we have gone from losing to fucking Romania to beating Germany 5-1 in Munich. Under Eriksson we have gone from being knocked out in the group stages to being quarter-finalists in three consecutive major tournaments. I think I call that "progression".