Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How do you 'play' eBay?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So you see something you want, how do you play it?

Do you bid right away, even though there is days left on the auction? Or do you watch it for a few days and then bid on the day it ends?

Me, I watch it and then do my bids in the last 30 seconds. I hate hate hate it when you're watching something and a copule of bidders are having a bidding war amoungst themselves, days before the auction ends. Obviously I love that happening when Im doing the selling but when I want to buy something and the price ends up sky high, it pees me off.

Can you tell I've just been gazumped? :grump: :p

Oh yeah and when are we getting an eBay forum? ;)

Comments

• Options
    me, i set it up to watch the item. work out the max i'm willing to pay for it (+ the P&P) then in the last 20-30seconds place my bid.

But sometimes i will place the bid as soon as i see it, depending on how much i want it. or just use the Buy now.
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    me, i set it up to watch the item. work out the max i'm willing to pay for it (+ the P&P) then in the last 20-30seconds place my bid.

But sometimes i will place the bid as soon as i see it, depending on how much i want it. or just use the Buy now.

I do that too.
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:

I do that too, although in my origional post I said 30 mins, I meant seconds. Im a twit today.
  • Options
    Usually bid in the last few mins, however the other day i bid hours beore it ended as i was working when it ended. I put in a maximum bid and won it :D
  • Options
    i normally watch stuff and put a bid in the last hour or so, but sometimes I'll just put a bid on at anytime. I dont tend to overspend though, if its something that can be had for a fair price I'll put a bit below that, if someone else outbids me, ill go for the next one. Normally end up with one :). got a new digital camera for £60 even though there were 3/4 auctions going with it and they all ended up at £90... I just waited for the lowest one. (well technically i didnt get it bcause it went below reserve but she offered that second chance thing)
  • Options
    Did you get that motorbike clock thingy you wanted Rich?
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    Did you get that motorbike clock thingy you wanted Rich?

Yea :) put a bid in with an hour to go and it went for £5.50. He's still not sent me a note to confirm dispatch yet though.... :shocking: maybe he's just doing it amatuerishly.
  • Options
    Yea :) put a bid in with an hour to go and it went for £5.50. He's still not sent me a note to confirm dispatch yet though.... :shocking: maybe he's just doing it amatuerishly.
    Email him and see what's happening.

I sold a pair of boots the other day, the woman paid at 9.30pm on Friday night and then emailed me saying she needed them for Saturday night, short of me flying to London and handing them to her I dont know how she thought that'd be possible :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    Email him and see what's happening.

I sold a pair of boots the other day, the woman paid at 9.30pm on Friday night and then emailed me saying she needed them for Saturday night, short of me flying to London and handing them to her I dont know how she thought that'd be possible :crazyeyes

How stupid.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    How stupid.
    She got worse.

I emailed her saying dont be so stupid (but more politely :p) and that the first chance I could post them would be Monday. She replied saying ok, as long as I have them on Monday.

I gave up after that.
  • Options
    If there's a few items the same on ebay i'll watch them first to see how many people are bidding/when/how much they're going for and it'll depend on that.

If there's not much demand and they're going for low prices i'll bid early and put a higher maximum bid so if someone bids at the last minute i'll still get it. If there's loads of demand and they're going high i'll watch a few and wait til the last minute so i can bid on the lowest or see if it's gonna go out of my price range and i'll wait for another..
  • Options
    Depends on the item. I either go in early and bid my maximum, or sit back and see what happens. Have won auctions by bidding in the last few seconds.

I always go over my maximum bid - if I think something is worth £30 to me, then I'll bid £31.62 or something. Having missed items in the past for a few pence, I don't mind going over a smidge. And by putting the 62p on, there is a good chance that someone might bid £31 or £31.50 - in which case I'll still be winning. :)
  • Options
    As we already had an ebay thread i thought i would ask here.
    Where it says second chance offer, does that mean the person who bidded the second highest can get offered it?
  • Options
    Yep.
  • Options
    I bid what I'm prepared to pay when I see it. If the person bidding against me does so in steps, I may "snipe" at a penny more than the logical value of their bid, but only if I really want it.

I very rarely accept second chance offers
  • Options
    There is a little scam I heard of that can work wonders... I should say that I descirbe it here for entertainment purposes only and should not be used unless you want to be known as a no-good cheating stinky pants. It goes like this.

1) Firstly you need two eBay accounts. Ideally, one should be your real one and the other, a new account with a public domain email address (Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo etc).

2) Use your normal account to bid for an item you really want. Make sure yours is the maximum bid and the amount is what you're actually willing to pay.

3) Then take the fake or new account and bid something so ridiculously high for the item that no-one would want to top. Ie. for a new mobile phone that normally retails at £200, bid something like £500.

4) Wait until the last few seconds of the auction and then, using the new account, withdraw the really high bid for the item. Your original bid at the reasonable price will now be the highest bid. Because the very high bid should have put people off bidding for it, hopefully no-one will have been watching it until the end.

5) Win the auction and get a kick ass item for a decent price because the high bid has protected it for you.

Some words of caution.

Any bid retractions go on the public profile of the account that made them so sellers may reject your bids if you have zero or low feedback and loads of bid retractions.

If you're internet is dodgy or if you're really unlucky or the eBay gods aren't smiling on you, the retraction may not go through in time and you'll be stuck owing a shit load of money for something you're only willing to pay a fraction of the price for.

This isn't a new scam and so some potential buyers may spot this and keep watching the item if they think the highest bid is completely unrealistic so try to keep it high enough to deter people but low enough to be realistic.

All that said, this tactic has won me some pretty awesome items. Bit at your own risk.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    Someone just outbid me on the best bargain investment ever

in the last 10 seconds too

bastard! :mad:
    What were you trying to get Rach?

The silly bint who wanted the boots the next day after she paid for them at 9.30pm(!) has left me feedback saying - "good condition, gave notice when could not delivery it on time". That makes it sound like Im crap at sending stuff out :grump:
  • Options
    ^ A puke bag :D.
  • Options
    I normally look watch the item until a few hours before to see how the bidding is going and then work out my highest bid taking into consideration p&p and place my bid. I then normally forget about the item until I receive an email saying that I am the highst bidder.
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    What were you trying to get Rach?

The silly bint who wanted the boots the next day after she paid for them at 9.30pm(!) has left me feedback saying - "good condition, gave notice when could not delivery it on time". That makes it sound like Im crap at sending stuff out :grump:

You should reply to it saying sent as early as possible.
  • Options
    Unless I' desperate for it and can't get it in the shops, I just put a low offer on straight away and wait an' see...