Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The death penalty...your views please

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Exactly. Okay, if you get life imprisonment and die in prison, then they find out that you were innocent, it's not much use to you. But what if they find out after five years, ten years, fifteen years? That could leave you plenty of time to rebuild your life and make up for lost time. Of course, it would be a tragedy for the person involved, but less of a tragedy than if you were executed straight away, and then new evidence that cleared you came to light. Ask those who were cleared after being convicted of such crimes whether they would rather have been executed, and I suspect that they wouldn't. Maybe at the time, yes, but retrospectively, most likely not.
  • Options
    Sorry if someones already said this.. but I haven't read all of the pages.

I've had this conversation a couple of times and I think murderers/rapists doing life sentences should be used as guinea pigs for drug testing. Fair enough, drugs are tested on animals but a human's body and the way it works is different.

Considering these people have took a life, they could use theirs to maybe give someone elses life back through drug testing for diseases/illnesses.

I recently heard that Britain is considering paedophiles get castrated.. it's apparently used in Germany and has proven successful, I know some people might see it as inhumane, but I'm all for it.
  • Options
    Don't believe everything you see in films. ;)

It will never happen.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    So, what would happen if you were to execute someone and it turned out that they were the wrong person? Nothing can be done there, but if you throw them in prison, they can be released and possibly be given compensation for what they've had to suffer.

Yes and all im saying is that once youve fucked up someones life entirely, saying you will give them compensation is hardly a great reply...

and im just posing questions for the discussion here.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I think if it ever came down to it, you'd feel differently. If you were wrongly convicted, you'd have the chance to appeal to continue to protest your innocence and maybe get a pardon at some point. No chance of that if you're dead.

Whats the average length of time death row prisoners spend on death row? Some of them are there for over 30 years because of their appeals...

and i think its a little silly to say you know how such people would feel :)
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    Whats the average length of time death row prisoners spend on death row? Some of them are there for over 30 years because of their appeals...

That's hardly the point.
    Balddog wrote:
    and i think its a little silly to say you know how such people would feel :)

I didn't.
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    Yes and all im saying is that once youve fucked up someones life entirely, saying you will give them compensation is hardly a great reply...

and im just posing questions for the discussion here.

Surely that would depend on what you actually did to someone's life? Obviously, if you killed their parents, then no compensation wouldn't work...
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    That's hardly the point.

Isnt it?
    Death row inmates are given HUGE chances to appeal...for pretty much everything under the sun...We dont give the same things to those who have been locked up...

I didn't.

You just said that if I were in their position, I would feel differently...:dunno:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Surely that would depend on what you actually did to someone's life? Obviously, if you killed their parents, then no compensation wouldn't work...

Well in the context of the thread, we are talking about locking someone up wrongly....removing a huge chunk of their lives and possibly doing even more damage depending on what happens outside.
  • Options
    I dont know, sometime it think yes sometime i think no.

The death penalty is a very very slippery slope. As others have said people have been proved innocent after the sentance has been carried out before. Or bent policemen/women. But then i think if its someone whos killed dozens of times before. DNA, witnesses at the sence and 100% no doubt that they did it. And likely that their'd do it again then maybe.

But i do believe that they should be punished. I dont agree with them getting a sentance then released early, Life should mean life not 25yrs and out in 4-8years.

Rapests and paedophiles should have their bits chopped off (if male, not sure for females), and left to rot (harsh i know). Theft i've always liked the idea of how the middle east deal with it, chop the persons hand off + the prison sentance.

Yes i know these are a little on the hardside, and would probably end up costing tax payer more money, but sometimes (not all the time) i think it would be a good way of saying "you do this your going to pay". but then i'm in a evil mood at the moment.
  • Options
    Anyone in favour of the death penalty should be made to execute somebody at least once.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Anyone in favour of the death penalty should be made to execute somebody at least once.
    thats a good point.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    i don't know as i said sometime i think yes sometimes no. the current system doesn't always work. then you look at the guys who get sued by the guys stealing stuff from their house for Lose of earning?!?! when they fall through a window or get in a fight with the owner.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Are you serious that you think people should have their hands chopped off for theft?

Just what I was thinking :eek:

That is an extreme and scary proposition; true that the current system has many problems and fails a lot of people but I don't think dismembering people is any kind of solution. It's barbaric.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    It's barbaric.
    Yes i totally agree it is barbaric, and that is one of the main point that why i think no it shouldn't be used. as i said i'm in two minds on this subject.
  • Options
    You could easily turn that around and say killing someone is pointless when you can protect the public by keeping them locked up forever.

Touché!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Why?
  • Options
    Because I suspect most of them don't appreciate the sanctity of human life and how wrong it is to kill a person- however their willingness to see people executed by others might change if they were suddenly the ones extinguising a human life.

In fact I recknon very few could do it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Because I suspect most of them don't appreciate the sanctity of human life and how wrong it is to kill a person- however their willingness to see people executed by others might change if they were suddenly the ones extinguising a human life.

Can you explain to me why its wrong? Other than your own personal opinion that you seem to be projecting upon everyone else...

Why is human life sacred? Its common as muck, its easy as hell to come up with, its easy as hell to extinguish...Why is it sacred? because god said so?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Well if that's true, then why do we care about people murdering each other? Why do we feel it ought to be punished? If human life isn't sacred, and is in fact "common as muck"...why not just leave people to end each other's lives without imprisoning or executing them?

The law prohibiting murder originates from the fact that there is a general consensus in most societies that human life is sacred, and should not be ended by another. So why would agents of the state be exempt from that rule?

Do you think the original hunter gatherers thought human life was sacred or do you think the problem with murder is simply a practical one? Society and civilisation cannot function if we continually kill each other off.I dont believe its to do with life being sacred...These days im sure people think that, but why? I dont understand the reasoning behind it..

The route human civilisation has taken means that we cannot have people running round killing others...Its detrimental to advancement and society...If humans had always thought life was so sacred, why has the death penalty only become a bad thing in the last hundred years, even in this country...

Its not as though the americans suddenly invented the death penalty...its been around since the dawn of time and its only extremely recently that people have started to look at it differently.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

I agree, but why stop at executions?

If your pro-choice you should be made to take part in a abortion, if you're anti-choice you should be forced to work in a adoption agency.

Pro the Iraq war - there's a place in the infantry just for you. Oh, you're anti the war. Never mind, we''re still exhuming the graves of the dead in Iraq - here's a shovel.

Happy to eat meat? well here's your next roast beef dinner - shame you have to kill the cow first.
  • Options
    probably should add that the Milgram experiment suggests that the willingness of people not to kill probably isn't as strong as everyone would like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    Can you explain to me why its wrong? Other than your own personal opinion that you seem to be projecting upon everyone else...

Why is human life sacred? Its common as muck, its easy as hell to come up with, its easy as hell to extinguish...Why is it sacred? because god said so?
    No, it has nothing to do with non-existent deities.

Do you really want me to explain to you why is it wrong to kill people?

Can I go round your place later and kill your entire family? I trust you won't mind...
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I agree, but why stop at executions?

If your pro-choice you should be made to take part in a abortion, if you're anti-choice you should be forced to work in a adoption agency.

Pro the Iraq war - there's a place in the infantry just for you. Oh, you're anti the war. Never mind, we''re still exhuming the graves of the dead in Iraq - here's a shovel.

Happy to eat meat? well here's your next roast beef dinner - shame you have to kill the cow first.
    Yes, and if you are anti-welfare you should be made to make acquitances, and so on.

So why stop at executions? Because killing a human being is on an entirely different league to anything else.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    No, it has nothing to do with non-existent deities.

Do you really want me to explain to you why is it wrong to kill people?

Can I go round your place later and kill your entire family? I trust you won't mind...

No, i want you to explain to me why human life is 'sacred'...not why it is wrong to kill people...those are completely different issues..

Of course you cant, and thats a silly analogy.....obviously I will care if someone i love is hurt..but that doesnt mean that objectively I cant see that their lives dont mean that much..
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    You're probably right about all those things, tbh. I definitely believe you should only eat meat if you'd be prepared to kill the animal yourself. I've never considered the abortion issue before, but as someone who is passionately pro-choice, thinking about it now if I had the skills required, I certainly would carry out an abortion.

(On a side note, loving your use of "anti-choice" rather than "pro-life" -- that's my preferred term for them :thumb: )

I don't agree. I'm quite fond of proper sanitation arrangements, but I'm not particually keen on working in a sewer.

Part of being civilised is that most people do shy away from the dirty bits. Its not that we should force people into doing the dirty work, just that we should recognise those that do. I'm burbling now, slightly, and thinking more of soldiers, police, yeah and people who work in abatoirs rather than hangmen - as for the record I'm against executions except in a few extreme circumstances (mutiny in war and high treason for the record).

As for the abortion I hadn't particually thought about the terms, but I suppose I'm broadly pro-choice in most circumstances and just subconciously used the terms I'm most comfortable with.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yes, and if you are anti-welfare you should be made to make acquitances, and so on.

So why stop at executions? Because killing a human being is on an entirely different league to anything else.

All the suggestions I made were to do with killing in some sense, through hunger, war (or unwillingness to face the same).

Though admittedly my view on abortion is that its not - but I recognise that many people think it is and thinking about it perhaps a better example than adoption would be treating women who had illegal, botched backstreet abortions because the legal, safe route wasn't available