Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Freshers 2006!!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Well i know there's till the summer to get through but time is flying by and it aint that far until some of us will be leaving home and heading off to uni.

So i guess it would be nice to have a thread where any freshers could just talk about uni, how your feeling about it? where your going? when your going? and any other questions you may have about anything to do with uni.

Im off to Aston and i can't WAIT!!!:hyper: Birmingham here i come (in 2 months :p )
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oooh Birmingham, just down the road from me. I'm off to Wolverhampton Uni (Walsall campus) .. also cant wait but rather nervous as I've been out of education for 2 years now and working - how on earth will I cope without the cash?!!
    GoodFella wrote:
    So i guess it would be nice to have a thread where any freshers could just talk about uni, how your feeling about it? where your going? when your going? and any other questions you may have about anything to do with uni.
    I'm probably boring people by constantly saying this, but I'm off to UWE in Bristol. Whilst I'm not at all excited, I'm not dreading it that much. At the moment, I'm busy working to earn some money for the first year. I was seeing the bank again this week (who have finally started co-operating with me) and my mind is simply on money. Maybe in a few weeks, when I'm leaving Haven, I'll be thinking of Freshers more, but not yet.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'm probably boring people by constantly saying this, but I'm off to UWE in Bristol. Whilst I'm not at all excited, I'm not dreading it that much. At the moment, I'm busy working to earn some money for the first year. I was seeing the bank again this week (who have finally started co-operating with me) and my mind is simply on money. Maybe in a few weeks, when I'm leaving Haven, I'll be thinking of Freshers more, but not yet.

I really hope you learn to chillax a bit once you get to uni :yes:
    Replicant wrote:
    I really hope you learn to chill a bit once you get to uni :yes:
    And what's wrong with being concerned about how I'm going to get on when I'm there? I'm not going there for some kind of three year jolly-up and anyone who does is quite frankly going for the wrong reasons.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    And what's wrong with being concerned about how I'm going to get on when I'm there? I'm not going there for some kind of three year jolly-up and anyone who does is quite frankly going for the wrong reasons.

Oh dear. A complete over-reaction again.
    JsT wrote:
    Oh dear. A complete over-reaction again.
    JsT, as far as you're concerned, I couldn't win either way. If I had said "OMG I'm so excited!!!!" a billion times, or no matter what else my reaction would have been, you would still have complained.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    JsT, as far as you're concerned, I couldn't win either way. If I had said "OMG I'm so excited!!!!" a billion times, or no matter what else my reaction would have been, you would still have complained.

No I wouldn't. Replicant made an innocent comment and you just over-reacted as usual. I agree with him, hopefully university will chill you out a bit.

Anyway, I'm not arguing with you over it, just making my point.
    JsT wrote:
    No I wouldn't. Replicant made an innocent comment and you just over-reacted as usual. I agree with him, hopefully university will chill you out a bit. Anyway, I'm not arguing with you over it, just making my point.
    Being concerned about things such as money and how I'm going to get on hundreds of miles away from home is not over-reacting. I know quite a few of you lot on the boards are pretty apathetic when it comes to that sort of thing, but I'm not going to meekly follow the crowd because of that. Could I do with chilling out in the long run? Oh yes. Will it happen? Only time will tell.
    stargalaxy wrote:

Not true. Education is not worth shit, if you don't enjoy the social aspect of your surroundings.
    Spending 3 years feeling miserable is not an achievement. Uni is as much about social growth as education.

That said, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm just pretty certain, that you'll be proved wrong once you attend uni.
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Not true. Education is not worth shit, if you don't enjoy the social aspect of your surroundings. Spending 3 years feeling miserable is not an achievement. Uni is as much about social growth as education.

That said, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm just pretty certain, that you'll be proved wrong once you attend uni.
    :yeees: There's a fair bit of misinterpreting going on here. What I am saying is that going to university simply to have a three-year party is a bad reason for doing it. OK, so yes, I'm more concerned at the moment about money and new circumstances. Am I going there to meet new people, see new things? Yes, of course I am. Do you seriously think I'm just going there to work? Leave off, I'm not that dull!

I must admit, though, I'm pretty envious of Goodfella being so excited at going. Maybe I just haven't reached that stage yet.
    just to be boringly back on topic....

I have applied for Public Relations/ Public relations and Marketing at University of Teesside(local Uni) and I am just waiting for a decision(only applied last week) fingers crossed because I want it really badly and am excited by the prospect of it(finally figured what i want to do!) and naturally I am looking forward to enjoyinging occasionally *some* of the social aspects of it
    It's not fair! I'm not longer a fresher, that ended Friday :grump: .

I had a great year. If anyone has any concerns feel free to send me a pm or ask on here as I was terrified and nervous on the lead up to first starting uni - you start to realise everyones in the same place and I bonded extremely quickly with the people in my halls and also some off campus and in the others years. Going out on a night out meant I met loadsa people from across the subjects and the years! Of course I obviously always ventured out to make friends, no others motive at all :P.

I've grown up alot as well - just more independant and wanting my own space. I've come out of myself and learnt a lot about myself as well :)
    I had a great year. If anyone has any concerns feel free to send me a pm or ask on here...
    Judging by the number of times I've texted you questions about uni before, I'm amazed you haven't yet told me to shut up and stop worrying. :p Which I should, really. As for bonding, my guess is everyone thinks "right, I'm here now, can't go running back to my parents, gonna have to get some people to help me out or I'm not gonna manage this". I can foresee that, hoping I make some friends out of it.
    i'm gonna be a finalist next year. :crying:
    :lol:

point proven me thinks, still I'm sure you'll learn to enjoy it eventually
    Replicant wrote:
    point proven me thinks, still I'm sure you'll learn to enjoy it eventually
    And "it" being what, exactly?
    that in response to my post?

i'm actually excited about it! my brain's bored that's the main thing. i know once i'm stressed out by all the work i'll be like why was i excited?!

i'm also moving house this year into a 14 bed house with 2 of my closest friends and 11 randoms so i'm chuffed about that.

next years plan: work hard, party hard!
    it, being... fun :p
    Replicant wrote:
    it, being... fun :p
    Ever considered that you and me might simply have a different definition of fun? Some people think it's fun to go out on a Saturday night and getting completely lashed, remembering nothing on waking up Sunday morning. Nothing wrong with that in my view, it's just something I choose not to do. From what I know of you, our definitions of fun are a million miles apart.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Jeez, i ain't going to be a student next year. First time in 6 years! How scary :o
    I just cant wait to get away from here. Kinda like a fresh start for me i guess.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Ever considered that you and me might simply have a different definition of fun? Some people think it's fun to go out on a Saturday night and getting completely lashed, remembering nothing on waking up Sunday morning. Nothing wrong with that in my view, it's just something I choose not to do. From what I know of you, our definitions of fun are a million miles apart.

replicant never said he did that! just because someone likes to have fun doesn't mean they go out and get completely trollied. you don't seem to have a very positive perception of students.
    replicant never said he did that! just because someone likes to have fun doesn't mean they go out and get completely trollied. you don't seem to have a very positive perception of students.
    It's just one example. I'm sure there are students out there who find having a game of chess every night fun - but I somehow suspect they'd be outnumbered by those getting drunk and then whinging they have no money for the rest of the week. (and for the record, I've never even played a game of chess. I spend most nights of the week working)

As for my perception of students, no, it isn't very positive, but doubtless that will change one way or the other in the next few months.
    Back on topic 83 days and counting until i go!! :p
    GoodFella wrote:
    Back on topic 83 days and counting until i go!! :p
    So, that means you're off about September 25th, unless I'm mistaken. I thought Freshers was earlier than that. Or does it vary from each university?
    Three weeks until my freshman year comes to an end. But I'm not despairing, there'll be plenty of new people to get to know next semester. The social life should kick up because the place has gotten quite deserted the past few weeks.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    So, that means you're off about September 25th, unless I'm mistaken. I thought Freshers was earlier than that. Or does it vary from each university?

It varies over about a month. The earliest starts are probably mid-September, but some don't start til the middle of October at least - York and Oxbridge for example, I'm almost certain.

I'm going to Bishop Grosseteste College in Lincoln to do Education and English, second attempt at uni, yadda yadda, nowt new there.

I can't wait.

And, in my experience the perception of students as alcoholics out on the piss every night is way wrong. It's not the fact that they're students, it's the fact that they're 18-22 year olds. In any group of 18-22 year olds you get some that go out and get hammered all the time, some that'd rather stay in, some that are a happy medium.

When I was at uni, pretty much everything was a social occasion. Watching telly, cooking meals, shopping for food, you did everything with your mates. The alcohol aspect is only a tiny part of it, really. A guy in our flat didn't drink and never went out (as in, to clubs and stuff) but he still got on brilliantly with everyone.

Soo, to summarise (heh) there's no point having the attitude 'I don't enjoy going out and getting rat-arsed, so I'll struggle on the social front'. 'Cos you'll get there, and within a few weeks think 'God, how wrong was I? I wasted so much time worrying about nothing.' It's not gonna do any harm if you do worry about it like, there's just.. not really a lot of point in it, y'know?
    Lil Laura wrote:
    So, to summarise (heh) there's no point having the attitude 'I don't enjoy going out and getting rat-arsed, so I'll struggle on the social front'. 'Cos you'll get there, and within a few weeks think 'God, how wrong was I? I wasted so much time worrying about nothing.' It's not gonna do any harm if you do worry about it like, there's just.. not really a lot of point in it, y'know?
    I've come to realise there's sod all I can do now, aside from carry on with the summer months as normal.
    Lil Laura wrote:
    When I was at uni, pretty much everything was a social occasion. Watching telly, cooking meals, shopping for food, you did everything with your mates. The alcohol aspect is only a tiny part of it, really. A guy in our flat didn't drink and never went out (as in, to clubs and stuff) but he still got on brilliantly with everyone.

Yeah thats kinda what im looing forward to really, meeting new people. The getting hammered aspect won't be anything new to me. I do that every week anyway. Just the prospect of meeting new people who could possibly become lie long friends. Who knows. When the freshers pack comes through the letter box then i will really start to get excited but then at the same time also bricking it.

But as you say Stargalaxy, guess all we can do now is enjoy the summer, earn some money and just get on with things.
    GoodFella wrote:
    When the freshers pack comes through the letter box then i will really start to get excited but then at the same time also bricking it.
    This isn't going to make me look good, but what exactly does a freshers pack contain?