Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

deaths from booze.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
up a third since 1999 ...is that a scary figure or what?
why ...whats gone wrong?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    pessimistic, but what i truly believe... everyones realisng how shit everything is and is takin the easy way out. im an atheist, but the apocalypse is the only word which describes what i think were living in. alcoholism is a symptom of humanity's self destruction.
    probably also related to the rise in younger people drinking since then too I would expect
    Replicant wrote:
    probably also related to the rise in younger people drinking since then too I would expect
    young people have always drank but ...you ng people have more money than ever before.
    alcohols is marketed at young people like never before.
    young people drink far to many spirits and not enough beer.
    when i were a lad ...if you fell about being sick or got into brawling ...you were considered to not be able to hold your drink so people would shun drinking with you until you lkearnt how to do it.
    l8iver disease through drinking excess amounts of spirits is going through the roof.
    I just think it is a fact that society has moved away from meaning and causes and purposes to a "me" society. The idea of self has emerged more then idea of community or family or helping or whatever you want to call it. With that, combined with the increased marketing towards the younger generations more people are turning to drink, which are stronger now then they used to be, as you can be so many various kinds of mixers now. The "me" generation is not about going out and having a drink to have fun and add to an evening, for them it is about going out and "getting drunk" or "getting wrecked" or "getting fucked up"!

It is the same with any drug though, if it is to stimulate and relax and add to an evening or chill out there is no harm in it really. If it purely your desire to go and get "fucked up" then you might have some deep hidden problems to deal with.

Thats my take on Drinking problems. Though not like we havent had alcoholics before, William Pitt the Younger drank a bottle of Port a day before he became the PM, then when he got into office, he drank two bottles a day.
    subject13 wrote:
    It is the same with any drug though, if it is to stimulate and relax and add to an evening or chill out there is no harm in it really. Thats my take on Drinking problems. Though not like we havent had alcoholics before, William Pitt the Younger drank a bottle of Port a day before he became the PM, then when he got into office, he drank two bottles a day.
    no harm in it?
    this particular drug is killing thousands a year ...and they are dying younger.
    sounds like harm to me.
    many world leaders have been drunks.
    the latest figures are seriously grim news.

it does llook like our high tech materialistic society is killing us slowy though.
    we can keep old people alive longer than is good for them or us.
    whilst more and more youg people drink themselves to death.
    Seriously Roll, do you read my entire posts? I said there is no harm in it when it is taken moderately to highten and make the day better, not when it is used for the sole purposes of getting wrecked. It isnt alcohols fault people are dying from it, it is the people who choose to drink themselves to death.
    subject13 wrote:
    Seriously Roll, do you read my entire posts? I said there is no harm in it when it is taken moderately to highten and make the day better, not when it is used for the sole purposes of getting wrecked. It isnt alcohols fault people are dying from it, it is the people who choose to drink themselves to death.
    sorry sub ...it's the drink.

of course it aint the alcohol thats the problem.
    heroin isn't a problem ...it's a lifeless bit of dust in a plastic bag in a teenagers pocket.
    people are always the problem.
    We're rich, thats one of the big reasons, in the last 15 years or so we've all got quite a bit richer. That and alcohol is cheap, comparitively anyway.

Its not actually the people who get really really drunk which concern me, thats a habit virtually everyone grows out of reasonably quickly. Its the fact that reasonably heavy drinking 3 or more times a week is now the norm, we're storing up nasty problems for ourselves in a few years time, especially the ladies.
    I have to agree with BongBudda. It's becoming too "normal" for everyone to go out 3 or 4 times a week on a heavy drinking session... but I think whats made it worse(not meaning to sound sexist) is women/teenage girls going out drinking excessively... their livers aren't big enough to cope with the poisons or something...

I'd put that down to atleast 1/3 of the rise... Younger girls going out and getting lashed most nights...(boys too, but mainly girls)
    alcopops or as the industry calls them

RTD (ready to drinks)
    Drinking fatalities have always been high around here. There really is no such thing as a party or get together without alcohol being involved. I think it's sad, i constantly see the new kid, young, fresh, joining the group, and hitting the bottle. The main reason I think there are more drinking deaths is because the kids drinking are younger and younger. My sister, who's 12, had a 12 year old friend over, who went into our refriderator, and took out a beer and started drinking it. It was a good beer too, a Sierra Nevada, the real deal. The younger kids are that use, the less likely they will be to think things through and understand the dangers. There was a party a while ago, held by an 8th grader, total blowout, a lot of the girls got alcohol poisoning.

in short
    Maturity is being imposed upon kids at a younger age.
    Sex, drugs, alcohol, are all being exposed when kids are younger and less likely to be smart about them.
    People don't think.