Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How best to approach a company?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have hardly any work experience. I had poor grades in school, although it wasn’t because I’m dumb but rather quite the opposite. I’m applying for work experience (for uni) at companies in the music industry, like labels and pr.

Can anyone suggest how I can perk up my CV and Curriculum Vitae/Resume? I know that its okay to have little experience, considering I’m relatively fresh, however, I want to ensure at least to receive a response and an interview.

How is it best to approach a company? For instance, I have already made extensive research the companies that had Internship openings/ads (I have a profile of the company, including its key individuals and their activities, such as conferences attended). Some of the vacancies are closed while some had no specific date mentioned.

For the vacancies that are closed, how should I enquire if perhaps there is still a vacancy? By phone, e-mail, or letter? For the ads that didn’t mention a date, how should I enquire if the position is still available? By phone, e-mail, or letter? Who should I ask to talk to? Do I talk to the person who receives the call? I should ask for the contact in the advert, however, who should I talk to if there weren’t?

If I contact the by letter, wouldn’t that decrease the likelihood of a response? If by e-mail, wouldn’t it look somewhat impersonal, even lazy? If by phone, wouldn’t it be too direct or awkward?

or is it better to call them first and make a personal inquiry, then send an e-mail or letter for the CV/cover letter?

Comments

• Options
    Just sending a general CV/letter in will probably result in it just getting put on the pile, or even in the bin. I'd say a phonecall to the right person (do your research) asking if you can send your CV in, followed by letter to that specific person would be your best bet. That way when they receive it, it'll jog their memory and they'll be more inclined to read it. If you're after unpaid work experience, then they'll be far more likely to offer you something. Maybe phone them up afterwards, to see if they got it, and even ask if they could spare some time so you could come in and see them.

I don't know how similar the music industry is to the film industry, but in the film industry, everything is project based, which gives you lot of scope to get unpaid work experience on films for a few days at a time. If you make yourself known to the company, then you're half way there. I would now be immediately considered as one of the leading candidates for any training or paid work at a local film company, because I've helped them out a few times for free and know all the staff. Not only that, but if I can tell prospective employers that I've worked with so and so, it's entirely likely that they will know them, or at least have heard of them, so that gives me another advantage. Like they say, it's all about who you know.
  • Options
    The thing is, if you send a letter and they don't want you/think you're good enough, they'll just ignore it and say nothing. However, if you were to phone them, you'll know then whether they want you. It's easier for companies to be rude to you than write letters out to anyone who applies, just to tell them that they don't have the job. And yes, I found this out the hard way a few weeks ago when applying for work experience at a local pre-school.

As for who to talk to, ask to speak to the manager. This is what I did.