Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

i have a friend...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
who wants to marry his sister!
what are the heatlh risks associated with pregnancy where your sister is going to be the mother

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Inbreeding massively increases the risk of various diseases because of the similaritys the gene pool. Any recessive traits are far more likely to appear, and mutations are much more common.
    The baby will have 6 fingers, 2 heads and no brain.
    while i do not support incest or think it legal I do not think mating with your sister will cause an increased risk of birth defects...

Another theory is that the observance of the taboo would lower the incidence of congenital birth defects caused by inbreeding. Anthropologists reject this explanation for two reasons. First, inbreeding does not lead to congenital birth defects per se; it leads to an increase in the frequency of homozygotes. A homozygote encoding a congenital birth defect will produce children with birth defects, but homozygotes that do not encode for congenital birth defects will decrease the number of carriers in a population. If children born with this type of heritable birth defect die (or are killed) before they reproduce, the ultimate effect of inbreeding will be to decrease the frequency of defective genes in the population. Second, anthropologists have pointed out that in the Trobriand case a man and the daughter of his father's sister, and a man and the daughter of his mother's sister, are equally distant genetically. Therefore, the prohibition against relations is not based on or motivated by concerns over biological closeness.

http://www.answers.com/topic/incest-taboo
    Ew.
    Ever seen Tromeo & Juliet?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Faith wrote:
    The baby will have 6 fingers, 2 heads and no brain.
    Just like the parents.
    ignoring all the legal, moral and social implecations there is a significantly higher risk of genetic disorders in any child that they have.

If a recessive condition is present in the DNA of both parents there is a 1 in 4 chance that the child will be born with the condition. As your friend and his sister have come from the same parents there is a 25% chance that they will carry any recessive genetic conditions that either parent had.

A recessive gene is one where two copies of the allele need to inhereted to cause the phenotype (condition/characteristic). so if you haveone copy of the gene you will be a carrier of the condition, if you have two you will suffer from the condition.

Due to it being a recessive condition there will be no signs (in most cases) that either parent has the defect and unless they are tested for every genetic condition known to man they wont even know that they have it.

I dont know wether you know anything about genetics but if you dont the picture below shows how inheretance works

Autorecessive-3.png

Examples of conditions that are inherited from a genetically recessive gene are cystic fibrosis or sickle cell anemia
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    A friend eh? ;)
    Weekender Offender 
    sickle cell anaemia and cystic fibrosis have nothing do with it! you just want to look clever with youe diagram lol! All that happens is that there are impications of birth defects due to the closeness in DNA and genes. Not diseases.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    niteryder wrote:
    All that happens is that there are impications of birth defects due to the closeness in DNA and genes. Not diseases.

Bollocks.

It's about recessive genes. Hundreds of years ago inbreeding in the Royal family resulted in haemophilia - which is a disease.
    Weekender Offender 
    niteryder wrote:
    sickle cell anaemia and cystic fibrosis have nothing do with it! you just want to look clever with youe diagram lol! All that happens is that there are impications of birth defects due to the closeness in DNA and genes. Not diseases.
    Yeh that’s what it is. I have done 4 years on a biology degree and know fuck all.

Its called inbreeding Muppet.

Why do you think that pedigree dogs get so many problems with their bones and die so much younger? Inbreeding.

Someone ring Mendel and tell him that all his research was wrong. Mite as well scrap the idea of DNA while were there.

How do you get cystic fibrosis if not due to the matching of two recessive alleles?
    How do you get sickle cell anaemia if not due to the matching of two recessive alleles?
    And is it not much more likely that people with the similar DNA will come from the same family?
    If its not why are family members usually the most suitable to be donors for kidneys and such?

Must be sheer chance I suppose....
    is his name Billy bob?
    You have weird friends man... word to ya mother.
    Makoto wrote:
    You have weird friends man... word to ya mother.
    Vanilla Ice has come to visit the site? :thumb: *does the vanilla ice dance*

And a "friend" wants to hump their sister, huh... a "friend..." :yeees::chin:
    Its always "friend"
    my_name wrote:
    Vanilla Ice has come to visit the site?

And a "friend" wants to hump their sister, huh... a "friend..." :yeees::chin:
    Its always "friend"

My Name is right, it's always "a friend", come clean, it's you really isn't it. I take it your sister feels the same weird way?
    When you say 'sister', do you mean real, half or step?
    Skive wrote:
    A friend eh? ;)

:lol: just what i was thinking.
    must clear that up! assuming all people are friends unless they're enemies, i do have a friend on the net who is looking into this. can't remember the source though - long weekend!
    Skive wrote:
    A friend eh? ;)

:lol:

:yuck: