Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you play an instrument?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does anyone know, have any tips?

Maybe im slow because im using a right handed guitar when im left handed. Though surely if i learn with the right handed one i'll get better, right? Or not?

Pah i dunno
    Blah wrote:
    I will keep practicing, but for anyone who learned guitar, how long did it take to 1) be able to change chords more quickly and 2) before your fingertips stopped hurting?

It doesn't happen overnight that's for sure. A good 2 months with regular practice will make you able to change swiftly, just practice each one individually then move on. Try doing easy chord progressions first like Em to A instead of C to G. The finger thing takes a while too, just keep practicing.
    Blah wrote:
    Maybe im slow because im using a right handed guitar when im left handed. Though surely if i learn with the right handed one i'll get better, right? Or not?
    Didn't Jimi Hendrix play a right-handed guitar left-handed? My friend does too and he's okay at it.
    Oo 2 quick replies, cheers :D

i just feel really awkward especially with the strumming and im not sure if thats because im just starting, or if its mainly because i need to use a left handed guitar

Im willing to practice no end as i enjoy it, but i dont want to be practicing with the right handed guitar if im not going to get anywhere, i could re-string it the other way round and learn from scratch again but i dont want to do that unless i have to as it will take ages to change back again if im better on the right handed
    Do you find it really difficult to hold the strings down properly?
    turlough wrote:
    Do you find it really difficult to hold the strings down properly?

yeh, and im not sure if its just because i should be using the other hand or whether it all comes with practice
    It does come with practice but using your other hand will deffinately make it harder - it'll feel more natrual when you'll built up the strength in your hand. Chord changes deffinately take time, before i taught myself chords i'd only played classical guitar and my changes were incredibly slow - all you can do it practice - there are particular exercises you can do to help but i'm afraid i can't remember any of them.. For the strumming just make up little patterns - down up up down up down.. etc and practice those.. don't have to be to any particular chords, just strum the pattern. :)
    in fact, i dont know what hand i should be using.

I use my left hand for writing, but my right hand for computer mice and scissors

Are you supposed to fret with your writing hand, or strum?
    I faked my way through recorder club
    Blah wrote:
    in fact, i dont know what hand i should be using.

I use my left hand for writing, but my right hand for computer mice and scissors

Are you supposed to fret with your writing hand, or strum?

I am right handed, play a right handed guitar and strum with my right hand. If you are using a right handed guitar you'll also have to strum with your right hand or you'll be using the guitar upside-down. :p

In general, yes you do strum with you're writing hand - though you'd need a left handed guitar..
    Cazzoo wrote:
    I am right handed, play a right handed guitar and strum with my right hand. If you are using a right handed guitar you'll also have to strum with your right hand or you'll be using the guitar upside-down. :p

In general, yes you do strum with you're writing hand - though you'd need a left handed guitar..

yeh i know about the upside down thing, i'll re-string it to a left handed but i just wondered which hand your actually supposed to fret with

I think i will turn it around and re-string it, it just doesnt feel right really

cheers :thumb:
    Blah - what type of strings are you using? I use nylon strings and personally find then much easier and less painful to use. As for which hand to use, just use the hand you feel most comfortable with.
    Blah, i was in the same boat as you about 4 months ago, so my dad baught me a guitar, a propa cheap acoustic, and its hard to begin with but the more you play the more you can do, and the more u enjoy it!
    i taught myself and i'm going slowly but im happy, and your finger tips go all hard, its funny!
    good luck
    Sofie wrote:
    Blah - what type of strings are you using? I use nylon strings and personally find then much easier and less painful to use. As for which hand to use, just use the hand you feel most comfortable with.

this is the whole problem you see, im finding it hard to decide which im more comfortable with because ive started to learn to a right handed guitar, and at the moment neither sides are more comfortable

i think i will just change the strings over and see how i get on, the strings are metal to whoever asked, so good idea about the nylons!
    The thing is, you can't use (most of the time anyway, I think) nylon strings on a steel strung guitar; something to do with the bridge I think?
    i self taught myself bass, i'm glad i did...

You get a "feel" for the theory, and develop your own style, though obviously lessons can help
    Koka_Kola wrote:
    Steel stringed guitars have a different way of putting on the strings from nylon stringed guitars.

and if you do happen to put steel strings on a nylon guitar - the neck bends!

Yeah, I knew it was something like that.
    I used to be able to play the recorder quite well when I was seven. I'm not really that musical.

I only know two songs on an acoustic guitar.

That's what I call musical. My parents have never encouraged me to play an instrument, yet I managed to get the highest grade in music. I guess she liked that special song, which required 3 weeks of intensive playing to learn. :(

I really should start now, but I'm too busy concentrating on other things to learn.
    I played piano and sang

I wish I could understand sheet music better though.
    I play guitar. I was taught basics at primary, but mostly taught myself from 14 onwards. I'm nearly 18, so it started by listening to Michelle Branch's "Everywhere" and figuring out the basic chords, then figuring out a picked intro to one of my fav songs. Kinda went from there.

Learning more chords, learning how to read tabs etc.

I bought myself and electric guitar and amp set at the age of 16.

I reguarly print chords off Ultimate-Guitar.com

I havent been playing as much as I should, so I have forgotten how to play along with songs, really easy ones too, like "When I come around" by Green Day when it was on the radio the other day :S

I've never had lessons as they are very expensive. I may get lessons to be a better lead guitarist - doing funky solos etc.