Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Destination anywhere

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Ok, my bloke and I (along with some of his mates) have decided right this instant that we're going to book flights somewhere tonight for a summer jaunt. Problem being we can't decide where we want to go, and I'm looking for some recommendations of where you've been that's fantastic, or even places you've heard good stuff about.

It would be mid-August and while Newcastle would be the obvious preference we would be able to fly from any of the northern airports in England or even Edinburgh if necessary.

We're seasoned holidayers/travellers (some of us are near-enough professionals :p ) so I'm not worried about finding places to stay etc, we're just stumped on where to go. Budget isn't tight (though we don't have millions) and we (or at least, I) would go pretty much anywhere. Though obviously not too long-haul as we'll probably only go for a week/10 days. I'm already going to Germany, and probably Austria and Denmark too... along with Japan in early Autumn so they're not the ones. Would like to go somewhere a bit off the beaten track, if that's possible.

Inspiration, please! :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do the Baltic states, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia.

Cheap, pretty, and excellent English. Also not quite suffering from the Prague effect yet- but will do soon.
    I can highly recommend Marrakesh, went there a few weeks ago and it was awesome.....only a 3 hour flight but you feel like you're in another world, definitely off the beaten track (you can tell when noone understands a word of english!) and lots to do/see (I can post some pics if you like....), bit hot mind but that don't bother me.....
    Montenegro and Croatia.
    I've actually been to Morocco before Senor Miguel but didn't get to Marrakesh. I would love to go there though, so I'm going to look into that. I'd love to see your pictures, the heat doesn't bother me either (in fact, I'm actively seeking it :) ).

Kermit I'm actually planning to go to Estonia with different people so I probably shouldn't make two sets of plans of that variety; I've heard excellent things from my friends who've been there in the past couple of years though.
    malta. :yes:
    ah whereabouts did you go? we went to agadir for the last day, was good fun but couldn't have spent a week there, quite touristy and not much to do, one day was just enough, i've heard essaouira and casablanca are quite nice but we didn't have time......but yeah, didn't cost the earth either, flights and hotel were about £230 and i probably spent about that much again while i was out there......

couple pictures here.....the beachy one's agadir....

click

pic

pic 2

movie clip
    Ooh I dunno. South America maybe if it's not too far. You can get a return to Buenos Aires on BA for about 400 squid which isn't bad. The Baltics are nice and if it's not too daunting, Russia.
    Did latvia at back end of last year and strongly recommend it, cheap to fly to from Liverpool as well. going again at some point this year.

prague is still good fun even if it is a bit over run.

im heading for prague, vienna, bratislava. ive heard good things about bratislava, maybe a bit small tho for just a single trip.
    Slovenia, but Marrakech is lovely as well or go to athens and go island hopping or get a cheap flight to turkey and to to Pamukkale (this really amasing place http://www.pamukkale.gov.tr/tr/ with hot water springs and rock formations and roman remains) and Cappadocia and Istanbull - Turkey is lovley but stay away from the big sea side resorts and go inland.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kermit wrote:
    Do the Baltic states, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia.

Cheap, pretty, and excellent English. Also not quite suffering from the Prague effect yet- but will do soon.

Yup, good choice. Slovenia is still nice but is going touristy - shame. Also Slovakia hasn't had the problems of prauge for some reason, yet right nextdoor. Nice place.
    Ooh I dunno. South America maybe if it's not too far. You can get a return to Buenos Aires on BA for about 400 squid which isn't bad. The Baltics are nice and if it's not too daunting, Russia.

Well you may (or may not) be interested to hear that we booked up yesterday to go to St Petersburg for ten days. Really cheap flights surprisingly enough, and we can go out of Newcastle which saves a lot of hassle.

It was the only place suggested that none of us had been and it got the thumbs up all-round. I'm incredibly excited now, been doing loads of geeky reading up about it on the 'net. Were you there at all or just in Moscow? Any advice or tips would be appreciated of course! :)

Am pretty relieved, as before Russia was brought up in conversation they were debating the chances of us all coming back alive if we went to Burma.
    briggi wrote:
    Well you may (or may not) be interested to hear that we booked up yesterday to go to St Petersburg for ten days. Really cheap flights surprisingly enough, and we can go out of Newcastle which saves a lot of hassle.

It was the only place suggested that none of us had been and it got the thumbs up all-round. I'm incredibly excited now, been doing loads of geeky reading up about it on the 'net. Were you there at all or just in Moscow? Any advice or tips would be appreciated of course! :)

Am pretty relieved, as before Russia was brought up in conversation they were debating the chances of us all coming back alive if we went to Burma.

Apply for your visa's ASAP i missed out on going to russia because the russian embassy decided not to open its post for 6 weeks.....
    Wyetry wrote:
    Apply for your visa's ASAP i missed out on going to russia because the russian embassy decided not to open its post for 6 weeks.....

We're on the case :thumb:

I was actually at Pamukkale a few years back, Ephesus too. Didn't get to Cappadocia but I've heard great things... not enough holiday time in the year dammit.