Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Little shaken up...

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Was in work from 12-10 today.

About 7pm a party of 10 came in, it was a family thing. It was a little girls birthday.

Everything was going well, they were all so happy. I was their waitress for the night so served them their starters, drinks, main meals, desserts, etc. Talked to them lots. I also took out the little girls birthday cake and sang happy birthday with the family.

The little girls Grandad was there. He looked really happy and well. He was really nice to me and gave me some tips. When he got up to leave at the end he went to shake my hand then he suddenly held his chest and collapsed.

I was the last person he spoke to. He died on the spot. I'm assuming it was a heart attack.

His family were distraught and that little girl was crying her little heart out.

Our first aider tried to help him but got nowhere. The ambulance came shortly afterwards but just took him into the ambulance. Our first aider told us he had no pulse though and he wasn't breathing.

I've never seen anyone die before. Just a little shaken up.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh my god that must have been completely awful for you, and thats an understatement. I am lucky I have never experienced anything like this, don't feel like a fraud for feeling traumatised by this, I wouldnt be able to accept something like this for weeks x
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Sad stuff.

Hope your alright :)

*hugs*
    Damn! Sorry to hear that!
    I know it dosent mean anything right now, but at least it sounds like he died happy!

Hope you ok!
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Not a nice thing to see... sorry to hear.
    I know it will be shocking for you but at least his last memory was of a happy time with his granddaughter.
    wow that must be really awful.
    thats really not nice :(

as someone else said, at least he was happy and stuff, so try to focus on that. not a nice time for him to go though, in front of his grand-daughter
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Blah wrote:
    not a nice time for him to go though, in front of his grand-daughter
    Even worse, during her birthday party. :(
    really sorry to hear, thats a terrible thing to happen, bit of a headfuck

:(
    That's fucked up.
    That is very sucky for all those folk, especially the kid and the granddad.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Aw Stace that's harsh. Hope you're ok and are going to be around friends/family all day.
    omg how awful for you and how completely awful for his family - especially the little girl. I hoep shes ok.
    That brought tears to my eyes just reading it.
    I feel for you. I remember when I worked in my local pub one of the regulars had a heart attack and died on his bar stool. Was a real shock to me.
    **Helen** wrote:
    Aw Stace that's harsh. Hope you're ok and are going to be around friends/family all day.
    Unfortunately not. None of them are around and I probably won't see any of them for a while. I've got to go into work later and I don't want to. I don't want to go back into that place.

I've not slept. I've just got images in my head of him going to shake my hand then just collapsing.

Why did he have a heart attack as soon as he went to shake my hand? Its like something struck him down to stop him doing so.

That little girl looked so upset too. She was only 9 years old. I remember how I felt 2 years ago when my Grandad died. I can't imagine what it must be like for a 9 year old to have to deal with, especially having seen it all happen.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Unfortunately not. None of them are around and I probably won't see any of them for a while. I've got to go into work later and I don't want to. I don't want to go back into that place.

I'm sorry to hear that - I don't think we can underestimate how traumatic this has been for you. I hope it helps to know that we're all sending you our best wishes.

Is there anyone at work you could ring to tell them how upset and anxious you're feeling and that if you do come in you will need some TLC from everyone?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    *reposts from other thread*

Not supprised! Poor you *big hugs*

That'd really shake me up a bit too, totally unexpected thing. What you have to remember is though: At least he was happy before he died.

Well, hope you feel a little calmer now!
    Sorry to hear that Stacey. I think watching someone die is traumatic enough when it's expected but a sudden death is much worse to deal with.

Is there anyone at work you can debrief with - a manager or the first aider who tried to help? It might be an idea to speak to the other people who were there and tried to help and see how they are coping too...

Hope you cope OK at work. :)
    i certainly hope it never happens where i work! i dunno whats worse...what happened to you or what happened to my dads friend on tuesday.
    i commented in your lj x