Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

cooking question

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
I'm teaching myself how to cook a roast dinner and I seem to be stuck at the first hurdle. It says on the packet of the chicken to cook it for 65min per Kg plus 20/30 mins. This chicken is 1.765 Kg. How long should I cook it for?

Also How long to you cook roast potatoes for?

If it helps with the answer I have an electric fan assisten oven....

Thanks
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    65x1.75=~113 + 20/30= chicken cooks for ~ 133-143 minutes. Right around 2 1/2 hours

Potatos, who knows :p
    cant really help on the chicken, i generally just cook it till its ready (test by skewering it with a knife or something as deep in as you can.

as for roast potatoes, par boil them first, i like to warm the fat up in the tray first as well, then chuck them in, bit more oil over the top, few herbs, then they can take a while to brown, again, just go off how they look as they'll be more or less cooked from the boiling
    How long do I boil them for?

Thanks manda, has helped lots:D
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Just make sure it's not pink in the middle ;x
    I'm not my mum
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    ahah, it's so true :p
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Zella wrote:
    How long do I boil them for?

Thanks manda, has helped lots:D

I would boil for about 7 minutes before putting them into hot oil and then into the oven. Make sure you turn the potatoes round at about half way through so they are crunchy on both sides.
    so 7 mins boil and about 20 mins in the oven or untill crispy brown yea?

Thanks so much for this guys gah I'm sooo hungry now, wish i'd had some lunch lol
    Your making me hungry too :p
    Tell us how it turns out!
    Cooking for anybody special?
    not really, just wanted to see if I could do it. Practacing for when its my turn to do sunday lunch for the family.
    koe_182 wrote:
    cant really help on the chicken, i generally just cook it till its ready (test by skewering it with a knife or something as deep in as you can.

as for roast potatoes, par boil them first, i like to warm the fat up in the tray first as well, then chuck them in, bit more oil over the top, few herbs, then they can take a while to brown, again, just go off how they look as they'll be more or less cooked from the boiling

I just go to Asda and buy one ready cooked!!

Half the time the ready cooked ones are the same price as the raw chickens
    When it comes to cooking stuff like potatoes, isn't that much down to personal preferance than anything else?
    dont forget to shake the roasties. After you have boiled and drained them put them back in the pan, put the lid on and give them a good shake
    Zella wrote:
    so 7 mins boil and about 20 mins in the oven or untill crispy brown yea?
    it depends on how hot the oven is, but I'd say more like an hour
    You dont have to par boil them first. I used to but find they come out fine/better without parboiling.
    Id bung em in about half an hour before the end, depending on how small youve cut them up.
    I like my roasties maris piper - cut small, bit of butter at the bottom of a hot pan, then put potatoes in, roll em around till they have a light coating of butter. Sprinkle some salt and maybe black pepper if you like it on top. The salt helps crisp them up.
    Its more to do with whether they look done, rather thna how long theyve been in for.