Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How do you know if you've broken a toe?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Rhyme not intended. Was using one foot to pull the boot off my other by the heel, like you do, and somehow absolutely smashed into one of my toes. Hurt like a bitch then, and that was 2 hours ago.

Still hurts nearly as bad now. I can kind of move it, but not really. But then I don't think I have massive amounts of movement in my feet on a good day. No bruising or obvious swelling, so I'm not sure.

Normally I would take some ibuprofen and ignore it, but I am doing 5 days of DofE expedition walking around the Lake District next week, and I have a riding competition on Sunday. So I sure as hell don't want to risk the DofE if I have got a dodgy foot, will be fine with the riding and will just get someone else to lead the pony in one of his classes. :p

Is it one of those things where you know it's happened and you don't have to ask (in which case am fine and it'll stop hurting soon), or would it be worth getting it checked tomorrow if it's still hurting?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had a broken tow once, tbh, its not even worth knowing whether it is or not, theres nothing you or the doctor can really do about it. Ice, ibuprofen, try to keep off it. They can't cast or splint it. You just kinda have to deal :p

Keep comfortable, maybe slightly larger shoes handy as it will probly swell a little.
    I know there's nothing I can do about it really, but I don't want to risk walking around on it non-stop for 5 days if it is broken.

And if I'm just being a wimp then I don't want to waste 3 hours down at A&E to find out that no, it isn't.

It's going to be a catch 22 situation isn't it? :rolleyes:
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I agree with the above (my_name). You can also try open-toe shoes if you have any, it's better. And it might be a good idea to try and keep your foot flat (don't bend the toes).
    Agree with the above suggestions. you could also neighbour strap it, to do this put sume folded gauze between the injured toe and the one next to it and use tape (micropore or other medical tape) to strap them together. This will just restict the movement of it a bit.
    pad it up and tape it to the next toe....see if you can get crutches too, take the weight off
    jane_lane wrote:
    Agree with the above suggestions. you could also neighbour strap it, to do this put sume folded gauze between the injured toe and the one next to it and use tape (micropore or other medical tape) to strap them together. This will just restict the movement of it a bit.
    :yes: good idea
    Best of luck, I hope its not broken and the pains gone by tomorrow.
    I broke a toe and there wasn’t a lot the doc can do…

The advice on the doe expo is that I have done loads of outdoor things. take it easy and slowly take loads of plasters and painkillers and tell the leader that u might have broke your tow just so they know

Uumm in some out door shops you can get really soft conshan thing for that fit ether side of your walking boots so they don’t rub as much. They are sometimes good. Uumm

Other then that not sure
    If your thinking about going on D of E then you need to get it checked tomorrow if it's still painful.

I'm guessing from the 5 days bit in the Lakes that your doing Gold. It would be irresponsible to set off on that if your not sure of your fitness. You may be as well off going to see your GP if you can get an emergency appointment with them. They will be far better at telling you what you can and cannot do. Don't worry that they can't do an X ray, if they think you need one they can usuallly send you to the X ray department of the hospital.