Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

racism in the workplace....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hmmm tough one this.

how to deal with racism in the workplace?

there are certain people including the majority of management seem to have extreme racist views.

just today i have heard "nigg**" "p*ki" and "why do you think they are brown? because they are dirty" and heres another cracker "they are useful, how else would we make tarmac without killing em"

hmmmmm

it seems pointless complaining as the management hold the same views.

ive already given them a piece of my mind, but not sure what else to do.

any advice?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    as you say tough one this, I think down here in brighton its a bit different as we have a muliticultural society, but maybe in somewhere like Burnley where they still point at airplanes it is a bit different, however I do think when dismissing people who are not white employers are very careful, moreso that if they were white.
    All true there is quite a large majority of people in this area with these kind of views, its a shame.

we do have a very small minority of people who work here from ethnic backgrounds who seems to mix well with the rest, its when they aint present, i dont know what they are gaining from this, its not like their racism is relating to anything, its just random racial spouting.
    koe_182 wrote:
    and heres another cracker

Oh the irony! :thumb:
    turlough wrote:
    Oh the irony! :thumb:

ha didnt even realise that! hahah

oh well. im not changing it.
    Haha well I wouldn't make fun of other races but I would use a few un PC words like p.aki, dunno, everyone round here says those words so I've been brought up with it if ya know what I mean.
    turlough wrote:
    Haha well I wouldn't make fun of other races but I would use a few un PC words like p.aki, dunno, everyone round here says those words so I've been brought up with it if ya know what I mean.

oh the irony
    If its senior management in your firm, and its only a small firm, then there ain't a right lot you can do, save dragging their ass to court.

If the world was fair all the racists would be deported back to where they came from.
    Racism is unlawful in the workplace. However institutional racism is much harder to weed out as it is unwittingly (or otherwise) supported by the top.
    The Race Relations Act 1976 outlines different types of discrimination including:
    Harrassment -which can include making jokes about particular groups of people. For example, religious groups; gays and lesbians or an ethnic group. Everyone is meant to join in the 'joke' including the person who belongs to the particular group being joked about - not joining in will lead to you being isolated and seen to be 'not part of the team'.

Race Relations (Amendment) Act 2000 states that private sector employers are not included but the standards expected of public bodies should influence practice in the private sector. Private sector companies should have a anti-discriminatory policy and a grievance policy in place.

Racism and all forms of discriminatory behaviour should be confronted - contact your trade union for guidance or your companies Human Resources Department or check out the Commission for Racial Equality
    website
    Useful information Murt, but the big problem is enforcing these rights in small companies, especially if it is not you being abused or discriminated against.

Taking them to court is really the only way of enforcing these things, and that's a sure-fire way of losing your job. The problem is that when its someone else being abused its hard to justify sacrificing your job over it.

I would seriously suggest finding other employment though.