Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A level biology

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm considering a level biology...but i'm not sure. Anyone done it? What kinda things to you cover? Whats the work like?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I started it and found it extremely hard. You learn alot about DNA/RNA and some stuff about CVD. I managed to fail the first module and because of this, I'm not doing it anymore.
  • Options
    I did it and didn't find it particularly hard. It's a lot more memory-based than skills-based learning, as opposed to a subject such as chemistry or maths. So you should think if that suits you or not.

I did the AQA biology B course (not the human biology course, which is A). We covered:

AS Module 1 - Core Principles (cells, molecules, enzymes, etc)
    AS Module 2 - Genes and Genetic Engineering (DNA, reproduction, DNA technology)
    AS Module 3 - Physiology and Transport (transport systems, breathing, heart, plant transport)
    A2 Module 4 - Energy, Control and Continuity (energy, photosynthesis, respiration, nervous system, muscles, inheritance, variation)
    A2 Module 5 - Environment (ecosystems, how they work, our impact on them, etc)
    Module 7 Microbes and Disease (option) (bacteria, culturing bacteria, biotechnology, disease, viruses, antibiotics)

The courses are quite varied, so you should check with your school as to which course they do. Then you can check the specification online to see if it sounds attractive to you. I enjoyed the course on the most part. I'm now studying microbiology so it can't have put me off that much. But then, I like biology so it's up to you really :D
  • Options
    It builds on GCSE biology quite nicely, covering modules in more depth on: homeostasis in plants and animals; cell structure and function; a fair bit of biochemistry - respiration and photosynthesis; and obviously nucleic acids and genetics. The Ecology modules are a fucking drag though. If you fancy a science A-Level then this is the nice one!
  • Options
    Yeah I didn't like ecology much either. The biochemistry is pretty easy though, don't let that put you off!
  • Options
    I did a totally different course to wooooooooah. I did cover some of the things that he did though.
  • Options
    im doing edexcel science but it sounds pretty much like gcse science but in more depth
  • Options
    I'm finishing my A2 biology now, I found the course quite interesting (but I am going into medicine) - much better than GCSE.

Also, a lot of uni courses seem to like biology - can't go wrong as it shows ability to retain info and think logically.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    im doing edexcel science but it sounds pretty much like gcse science but in more depth

That's what I started. The plant stuff wasn't too bad (I left part through this module) but the stuff about the human body (mainly DNA replication & RNA) is extremely hard. There's alot of technical stuff to remember as well.

Compared to this, GCSE was boring.
  • Options
    i'm torn, ive put down for sociology, psychology and english lit....i know biology opens up alot of doors cause unis seem to like it, i want to go to uni to do psychology and criminology, but i'm worried i might change my mind and alot of the other stuff i'm sort of interested in want biology a level.
    I know i can do it and i'm good at it but i just don't enjoy it much. Bit of an arse...but i can't really judge it all on gcse courses.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i'm torn, ive put down for sociology, psychology and english lit....i know biology opens up alot of doors cause unis seem to like it, i want to go to uni to do psychology and criminology, but i'm worried i might change my mind and alot of the other stuff i'm sort of interested in want biology a level.
    I know i can do it and i'm good at it but i just don't enjoy it much. Bit of an arse...but i can't really judge it all on gcse courses.

If you want to study criminology I'd suggest taking Law at A Level if it's an option for you.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    If you want to study criminology I'd suggest taking Law at A Level if it's an option for you.
    they don't do law where i am :(
  • Options
    A lot of people in my year are doing Biology, as its the science everyone understands the best, I guess. Me, I'm happy to give up Science, aswell as Maths, though I'm doing Psychology, which I guess is more of an 'ideas' science.
    Wish my school did sociology, like yours :(.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    they don't do law where i am :(

That's a pity. They didn't do it where I currently am, but was able to go to another school for 5 hours a week and study it there. Where I am, they sorted all the transport out as well. Can you not go to college and do it there?
  • Options
    well i'm already going to a different school for 6th form...i changed because i could do everything i wanted in 1 place....my local college is crap btw
  • Options
    I did A-level biology, came out with a D, but could of got a C or more if I put the effort in (story of my life!). Anyway its a challenging subject, but very rewarding, not only from a qualifications prospective but you learn stuff that helps you in day to day life (you know, stuff about your body, how to works etc.), I found quite interesting, because its very varied and not "black and white" and dull like maths if you what I mean.
    Go for it!
  • Options
    I loved biology. it was awesome. i did chemistry and physics too, and out of the sciences its most defo the easiest. its a lot of learning but if you got a good teacher and some good comprehensive study guides then youl be fine.

Its quite interesting in relation to life in general, i remember looking at a goldfish and instead of thinking "ah look at its little gills flapping" i was like" ah, look at the little fishy instigating counter current flow to maintain the diffusioin barrier..." but then...im a geek.

if you go against biology eventually i would advise a language e.g. french. its liked my unis and even if not it opens so many doors in life for travel and part time work abroad somewhere warm.
  • Options
    I do biology just finished my AS year Ii found it freaking hard but if you revise hard enough you'll get by. I enjoyed the genes and genetics topic and think i've done well in that. It always helps to enjoy the subject although its hardwork it is rather interesting and does look impressive on the old CV.
  • Options
    I did A-level biology, which seems like ages ago now! I loved biology, although i can barely remember what we did, doh! But i loved it so much i went on to study it at university, madness i know! Ive just finished my second year and i'm still loving it!
    Good all-round subject i think :)
  • Options
    this is a bit old now but i've decided to go for it....had a look around uni websites and the areas im interested in and they like you to have a science subject
  • Options
    A science subject will look good whatever you eventually decide to do as science is viewed as one of the harder subjects.
  • Options
    I decided to quit Biology after the AS year we had to do a 5 day trip measuring grass and looking and woodlice in epping forest for coursework i thought no way and quit!
  • Options
    I've just finished my A-level biology, did AQA spec A, which was Human Biology.

We went on a fantastic field course, and because the second year builds on what you learnt in the first, I found it much easier to grasp. I enjoyed it so much I'm even considering doing it at degree, although I know I'd have to work damn hard. Came out with an E at AS, but got an A on one resit (that I failed first time - lack of revision really) and awaiting the results for the rest of it. TBH as long as you learn the stuff there's nothing bad about it.

The problem we found in our sets, was that we all like to over complicate things, and having managed to keep it more simple this year, I've done better. When asked why leaves lower down on the tree were darker than the ones above them, we launched into explanations about concentration of chlorophyll etc. Actually, they're just being blocked from the light by the ones above. :blush:
  • Options
    I decided to quit Biology after the AS year we had to do a 5 day trip measuring grass and looking and woodlice in epping forest for coursework i thought no way and quit!

Poor guys :(

Ours was fantastic. Went down to Devon, and looked at a sandy shore, a rocky shore, woodland, moorland, a nice and smelly green lake, and so on. Didn't have to count woodlice, but we did count snails, and it turned into a competition to see who could catch the most. :D

Also got to see a crab shedding its skin, now that was pretty amazing.

God I sound like such a geek.
  • Options
    I would've liked to have done human biology, but we didn't have an option. Nearly all of our coursework was based around plants. 2 of the topics were to do with plants and the other 2 were to do with humans and animals.
  • Options
    your all so lucky, we didnt get the chance to go on a field course unless you could afford to go on the kenya one which cost £600