Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

moving into a house - need advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am moving into my first house which involves bill paying. can someone please tell me what the first thing i do is? someone said get the meter read but i don't even know how to get that done!

Comments

• Options
    Is it rented? If it is they normally do the first readings but if not. Just ask where the meters are. It's not hard to find them. Most have a white box on the wall outside or in an porch/shed. Then if you have gas it's normally on the ground by the house which you just lift up and read.
    Failing that and ask the electric company/gas etc for them to either tell you or read it/show you.

You will need to contact your water, electric, gas, phone if you want one, council for the council tax. Thats all i can think of at the moment.
  • Options
    Also some houses have water meters but your landlord/supplier should be able to help you.
    Also tv licence people
  • Options
    Just to add- once you've found the little white box, go and look in a kitchen drawer- tis the likely place to find the 'key' for the little white box/es and the key to bleed the radiators, window locks etc. Look for your fuse box, water stop tap, boiler instructions/hot water switch- airing cupboard. Make sure there's a current gas safety certificate. Check on uswitch website for who's supplying the cheapest gas/electric and make sure you're with them, if not - swop. Check the inventory, make sure any and all damage/marks/carpet wear etc already in the house are mentioned, if they aren't get them added in so you don't get skanked for your deposit when you leave. Ask your neighbours about bin days or check your council's website. Otherwise, er, I think Tweety got it covered.
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular