Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

No gay sperm...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/05/05/gay.donor.ap/index.html
FDA to ban sperm from men who had gay sex

NEW YORK (AP) -- To the dismay of gay-rights activists, the Food and Drug Administration is about to implement new rules recommending that any man who has engaged in homosexual sex in the previous five years be barred from serving as an anonymous sperm donor.

The FDA has rejected calls to scrap the provision, insisting that gay men collectively pose a higher-than-average risk of carrying the AIDS virus. Critics accuse the FDA of stigmatizing all gay men rather than adopting a screening process that focuses on high-risk sexual behavior by any would-be donor, gay or straight.

"Under these rules, a heterosexual man who had unprotected sex with HIV-positive prostitutes would be OK as a donor one year later, but a gay man in a monogamous, safe-sex relationship is not OK unless he's been celibate for five years," said Leland Traiman, director of a clinic in Alameda, California, that seeks gay sperm donors.

Traiman said adequate safety assurances can be provided by testing a sperm donor at the time of the initial donation, then freezing the sperm for a six-month quarantine and testing the donor again to be sure there is no new sign of HIV or other infectious diseases.

Although there is disagreement over whether the FDA guideline regarding gay men will have the force of law, most doctors and clinics are expected to observe it.

Behavior vs orientation
The practical effect of the provision -- part of a broader set of cell and tissue donation regulations that take effect May 25 -- is hard to gauge. It is likely to affect some lesbian couples who want a child and prefer to use a gay man's sperm for artificial insemination.

But it is the provision's symbolic aspect that particularly troubles gay-rights groups. Kevin Cathcart, executive director of Lambda Legal, has called it "policy based on bigotry."

"The part I find most offensive -- and a little frightening -- is that it isn't based on good science," Cathcart said. "There's a steadily increasing trend of heterosexual transmission of HIV, and yet the FDA still has this notion that you protect people by putting gay men out of the pool."

In a letter to the FDA, Lambda Legal has suggested a screening procedure based on sexual behavior, not sexual orientation. Prospective donors -- gay or straight -- would be rejected if they had engaged in unprotected sex in the previous 12 months with an HIV-positive person, an illegal drug user, or "an individual of unknown HIV status outside of a monogamous relationship."

But an FDA spokeswoman cited FDA documents suggesting that officials felt the broader exclusion was prudent even if it affected gay men who practice safe sex.

"The FDA is very much aware that strict exclusion policies eliminate some safe donors," said one document.

Many doctors and fertility clinics already have been rejecting gay sperm donors, citing the pending FDA rules or existing regulations of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine.

"With an anonymous sperm donor, you can't be too careful," said a society spokeswoman, Eleanor Nicoll. "Our concern is for the health of the recipient, not to let more and more people be sperm donors."

'Directed' donors
However, some sperm banks, notably in California, have welcomed gay donors. The director of one of them, Alice Ruby of the Oakland-based Sperm Bank of California, said her staff had developed procedures for identifying gay men with an acceptably low risk of HIV.

Gay men are a major donor source at Traiman's Rainbow Flag sperm bank, and he said that practice would continue despite the new rules.

"We're going to continue to follow judicious, careful testing procedures for our clients that even experts within the FDA say is safe," said Traiman, referring to the six-month quarantine.

The FDA rules do not prohibit gay men from serving as "directed" sperm donors. If a woman wishing to become pregnant knows a gay man and asks that he provide sperm for artificial insemination, a clinic could provide that service even if the man had engaged in sex with other men within five years.

However, Traiman said some lesbian couples do not have a gay friend they know and trust well enough to be the biological father of their child, and would thus prefer an anonymous donor.

Dr. Deborah Cohan, an obstetrics and gynecology instructor at the University of California, San Francisco, said some lesbians prefer to receive sperm from a gay donor because they feel such a man would be more receptive to the concept of a family headed by a same-sex couple.

"This rule will make things legally more difficult for them," she said. "I can't think of a scientifically valid reason -- it has to be an issue of discrimination."

How fucking stupid is that!!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Pretty stupid, yeah.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Stupid.

The sperm itself isn't a problem tbh. The gayness is more of a choice of the man, the way he grows up... the sperm hardly contains gay DNA. There is little to no evidence of this.
  • Options
    they already do it for blood. I just think its probably an extension of that.
    I think the blood thing is stupid as well.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    The gayness is more of a choice of the man, the way he grows up... the sperm hardly contains gay DNA. There is little to no evidence of this.
    I'm sure there are plenty of gay men who would dispute this.
  • Options
    Wait, they justify it because gay men pose a higher risk of possessing the AIDS virus...so why not just test the samples or the men donating prior to donating to see whether they have it? Surely not that much of a difficulty is it?

Also, so long as the donation papers, which have to describe the fellow who donates anyway, says he is gay, and the person recieving the sperm from the bank knows this, and know the so called "risks" then what is the problem?
  • Options
    the days of AIDS being a gay thing are long gone....thats just ridiculous if thats the reason
  • Options
    wankers.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Ballerina wrote:
    the days of AIDS being a gay thing are long gone....

It's not a 'gay thing', but it's still a fact that homosexual men are more at risk from the disease.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    It's not a 'gay thing', but it's still a fact that homosexual men are more at risk from the disease.
    why are they?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    why are they?

Cos they shag with more people than most hetero... Even if in relationship.. Not all of hem tho... But apparantly now women in their 40s are also a high risk... Mainly those who are just being divorce or leaving a relationship... they shag around to enjoy their freedom...
  • Options
    Fastest growing new cases of HIV are amongst heterosexual people, not homosexuals.

Like someone in the article said, a straight man who has unprotected sex with prostitutes is considered safer than a gay couple in a stable, monogamous relationship.

It's all prejudice and homophobic rubbish.
  • Options
    I thought it was due to unprotected anal sex as even monogomous couples in homosexual relationships do not use condoms during anal intercourse and so are at risk of tears and causing infection that way? Either way, its as likely to be a hetro man as a homo one!
  • Options
    why not test for hiv DOH!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I thought it was due to unprotected anal sex as even monogomous couples in homosexual relationships do not use condoms during anal intercourse and so are at risk of tears and causing infection that way? Either way, its as likely to be a hetro man as a homo one!
    what on earth has anal sex got to do with it?
  • Options
    Well a trainee nurse i know (yes that is the extent to my knowledge of this) explained to me the added dangers and risks of anal sex with out using a condom due to the unhygenic nature that goes with it. Basically she said if a tear occurs during anal sex and the blood mixes with excrament infection can form and result in the lowering of the immune system or soemthing to that effect.

As i said, it was just a brief explaination from a trainee nurse on the matter.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Well a trainee nurse i know (yes that is the extent to my knowledge of this) explained to me the added dangers and risks of anal sex with out using a condom due to the unhygenic nature that goes with it. Basically she said if a tear occurs during anal sex and the blood mixes with excrament infection can form and result in the lowering of the immune system or soemthing to that effect.

As i said, it was just a brief explaination from a trainee nurse on the matter.
    but you can only become hiv by catching it from someone who is hiv ,,,you can have anal sex all day long and it would be impossible to become hiv positve if neither had it in the first place.
  • Options
    I understand that it is more likely to become infected by anal rather than vaginal sex with an HIV+ve person because of the thiner tissue in the anus and that also pH levels have something to do with it too. It is still lame. Is there any reason why the specimin cannot be tested?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I understand that it is more likely to become infected by anal rather than vaginal sex with an HIV+ve person because of the thiner tissue in the anus and that also pH levels have something to do with it too. It is still lame. Is there any reason why the specimin cannot be tested?

I read somewhere that specimin are tested anyway, then saved 6 months and tested again... So basically unless they fucked up the tests there is no risks...
  • Options
    I read somewhere that specimin are tested anyway, then saved 6 months and tested again... So basically unless they fucked up the tests there is no risks...

It doesn't work like that though.
    The problem here is the methods used for detection of HIV and Hepatitis C.

Basically, the tests are serological and look for the body's reaction to the infection/disease and not the virus itself. It takes some considerable time for the body to develop a 'reaction' to these two examples, about 60 days for HIV and 30 days for Hep C. The point is that, even though routine testing is already performed, the tests will not pick up the early stages of these two (incurable and ultimately fatal) infections.'

Sperm is frozen and it'll make no difference to test it 6 months down the line either.

The exclusion criteria adopted by the National Blood Service is based on "Behavioural Risk". Probabilities of blood from various demographics are assessed and a blanket ban is placed upon those sections of the population that are deemed to be 'high' in behavioural risk. These are based on the guidelines issued by the World Health Organisation.

Behavioural risks include:

1) Sticking a needle into yourself to inject drugs
    2) Having sexual intercourse with anyone from areas in Africa/Asia where HIV is pandemic
    3) Having needles stuck in you to have tattoos
    4) Anal intercourse

The last category is a high behavioural risk because it is a very efficient method of transferring a blood or serum borne infection (e.g. Hepatitis C, HIV, Hepatitis B). If a carrier of such a disease has anal intercourse with a non-infected person, the likelihood of transmission is well above 80%. Compared to vaginal intercourse (in an otherwise healthy person; i.e. their mucous membranes are intact and free from other STIs) it is 40% or less.

Where this applies to Gay and Bisexual folks is that when the proportion of HIV carriers in that demographic compared to the general population is calculated, there is more of a chance (significantly) of a blood sample from them to be carrying a blood borne infection. That's not to say that there are more HIV carriers within homosexuals than heterosexuals, it is to say that the proportion of the homosexual community who carry infection is higher (you can find the exact figures from the DoH reports published annually).
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Weekender Offender