Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The differences between gig crowds....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I just saw the post about Creamfields and was curious...

What are the differences between crowds at different festivals/gigs?

I mean, ive been a lifelong rock gig go-er. I know how to act, what the "protocol" is....i mean, theres the pogoing, the moshing, the crowd surfing etc, you know what the deal is and the kinda people your gonna meet....theres a certain one-ness to a good rock crowd, jumping as one, picking up the fallen in the pit etc.

What is a dance crowd is like.......the thought of being with 40,000 other people and seeing someone like Faithless or The Prodigy go off really lights my fire, but not being part of that "scene".....

Anyone see what im gettin at or am i just rambling?

Ta.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im the opposite to you mate...

Although I dont really go to dance festivals... just big indoor raves...

It similar to what you were saying... you can feel close to everyone because your all there for the same reason and the same love of the music...

Difference is I suppose at a rave I would say well over half the people will have taken ecstasy...but this creates a far nicer atmospher than being surrounded by drunk people...
    Its wicked, you end up in so many random conversations with people who you can talk to like you have known them for years...
    I always meet some really interesting people at raves.

Its on the same level with the dancing as well... you dont tend to get mosh pits... but its all about everyone jumping around, arms in the air having the time of there lives and not giving a fuck about what other people think!

Its not for everyone... personally I dont think you can beat it!
    It tends to get more cramped in rock crowds, especially towards the front. At dance events, no matter how packed it is, you normally still have at least enough room to wave your arms about like a loon! Whereas rock gigs can get so crowded you can't move unless you shove others about, which lends itself to the whole mosh pit thing.

As james said, dance music crowds are generally more on e than booze, so it is usually a friendly, chatty and emphatic crowd. If you get a really good crowd, people will always be offering water around and checking the guy next to them is okay.

I know there is often also a very friendly atmoshpere at rock gigs, but for me, moshing and the whole relieving frustration and anger through agression and violence is not for me, whether it is controlled or not! That said, I do enjoy a mosh sometimes...but what is that running round in a big circle thing all about?! That confuses me!
    If you get a really good crowd, people will always be offering water around and checking the guy next to them is okay.

Yeah I love it when you get places like that!
    I remember one thing that stuck with me once... I was at a rave, I was just splashing some water on my face in the toilet and there was a bloke next to me, quite young... he asked me if I was having a good night, I said it was wicked...
    He said he was loving it because its the first rave he had ever been too... I could really see the enthusiasm in the way he was saying it. It made me starting thinking about when I first started raving, and brought over an amazing warm euphoric sentimental feeling...
    I nearly hugged the bloke lol!
    JamesZero wrote:
    Yeah I love it when you get places like that!
    I remember one thing that stuck with me once... I was at a rave, I was just splashing some water on my face in the toilet and there was a bloke next to me, quite young... he asked me if I was having a good night, I said it was wicked...
    He said he was loving it because its the first rave he had ever been too... I could really see the enthusiasm in the way he was saying it. It made me starting thinking about when I first started raving, and brought over an amazing warm euphoric sentimental feeling...
    I nearly hugged the bloke lol!
    Awww I know what you mean! I always end up spending 15mins in the toilets 'cos I end up having random conversations! :D
    I don't like dance music but occasionally do such things- go, it's fun regardless of the noise, which if you geet mashed enough actually starts to sound ok too...
    Well there's certainly no moshing. Sometimes you get people jumping up and down but that's with more explosive dance acts like the prodigy, usually at dance acts, people just dance with their hands.
    but what is that running round in a big circle thing all about?! That confuses me!
    circle pit :lol: they are mad, ive had lots of injuries from being dragged into those

i prefer to be at the front jumping around, but i do get bruises on my ribs from the bar :grump:
    Blah wrote:
    circle pit :lol: they are mad, ive had lots of injuries from being dragged into those

i prefer to be at the front jumping around, but i do get bruises on my ribs from the bar :grump:
    Yeah it's crazy, I saw 36 Crazyfists (?) supporting Lost Prophets and they went absolutely mental! I would have been surfing but I was with an ex, and she wasn't very tall so had to keep pushing her forwards!
    Cheers for the replies....

Nice to see that theres still some spirit left in music eh? I hate how insular and shitty some scenes can get.....sounds like the majority of the dance scene is still as cool as it looks on tv. hehe.

I remember seeing Faithless at some festival a few years back on tv....just the sight of what looked like an entire planets worth of people, in the dark except for the stage lights, Insomnia playin.......i dont know how anyone just cant get behind that idea to be honest.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:

I have seen that vid somewhere before... cant remember where though!

I might go to a Hardcore heaven soon... I have only been to one before and it was a really good night!
    people will always be offering water around and checking the guy next to them is okay.

That's a really easy way to get throat infections.
    bongbudda wrote:

So is kissing people.

Sometimes I reckon you worry too much! ;)
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    So is kissing people.

Sometimes I reckon you worry too much! ;)

Yeah, but with kissing people you get a reward, not just spit in your water.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Yeah, but with kissing people you get a reward

Depeneds on who you end up kissing! :D
    bongbudda wrote:
    At least they won't be thirsty.
    At least they won't be thirsty.

:yes:

At least we make an effort to stay hydrated.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    :yes:

At least we make an effort to stay hydrated.
    Yeah, the amount of times I've given water to people monged off their tits, still only drinking booze and sweating like pigs...it amazes me how they do it!
    Yeah, the amount of times I've given water to people monged off their tits, still only drinking booze and sweating like pigs...it amazes me how they do it!

Wouldnt they be in more trouble if they wernt sweating? i.e they arnt hydrated enough to sweat properly? Or am I talking out my arse..?
    I have been in raves before where I have suddenly noticed im dancing about but dry as a bone... thats when you know to stop, chill out for a bit and have a drink!
    JamesZero wrote:
    Or am I talking out my arse..?

Nope you're right. Never had any problems myself with dehydration, even when drinking booze and dancing like a madman, you know yourself when you need a few sips of water to keep you on track.